The Wall of Shame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Soon as I’m in the road again I am changing the exhaust from what it is to a crossover pipe from passenger side to the mufflers set up oblique on the drivers and then passenger tube crossed back to the passenger side... and yes I’m going to do a lot of research this time

Not my vehicle but one I saw at Home Depot in Phoenix down the street from where I live
A9B11280-A0BA-48DE-949A-609F462EAB95.jpeg

I can understand $100 an hour… Most people charge that just a light there torch LOL.

However my exhaust was put on 15 years ago I don’t believe that the price back then was 100 and hour I think if I’m not mistaken it was about 65 or 45 an hour.

But I do agree with you the price usually runs about 100 or 120 an hour and with all these great pipe being in the way they do the exhaust now days it will run in the thousands.

As much as I agree with you , I don’t agree that my system should’ve cost 400+ in labor back 15 years ago... plus I had purchased the two mufflers and the headers and the tips which I did not ask for the tips that is or the unprofessionalism to me. However right now they have a 5 star yelp rating.. whaaaat?

maybe 400 and such for everything but you saw my post I definately out that to the hall of shame lol

I paid Greg ( mighty muffler on Cave creek ) about 650.00 in 99 for the system on my FJ55. Considering I picked a 100.00 muffler, it was OK with me. He did stellar work on that. It was a V-8 conversion and he even put a cute jog around the oil filter so the filter would drop straight down
rather than tilting it to snake around the pipe. He did quite a few systems for me in the 90s , all were very nice. I moved from the valley in '01 so I don't know whether he was still there after 99. Even in the mid to late 90s a 450 system was common. There were shops doing work a lot higher I usually went with Mightly Muffler or Muffler Masters in Glendale.
If you really want to see a terrible job come to the local shop in Globe. The first system I've ever seen where nothing was salvageable.
I'd post pictures but all those viewing them would need to see their shrink afterwards.

:)
I suppose your right
I came from Houston before here in Phoenix and it just seemed things were way cheaper. But this is the first tine any 4x4 I had fwas from the 70’s

If 450 was the average charge I believe you. I just didn’t get stellar work in 2000/2001 and that was what I guess kinda frustrated me and I’m not sure if it’s my hall of shame or if it was that I drove off with that system which makes it a hall Of shame.... I definately have more shame on this though fJ40 lol

I actually do not know if it’s the same people.... never went back considering I told them it’s for off roading and I needed it stable and setup for that, and it wasn’t. I will rip that exhaust right off under typical off road scenario... I don’t mean trying to scrap over a tree either

I guess 400 for labor is average if you have done it many times... I have not had it down multiple times.. still the same exhaust for the past 17 or so years

Inspected an immobilized 40 from Columbia a couple of days ago (engine blew up shortly after import into US) and found a whole sh$t-ton of problems, all the generic stuff you read about with the SA trucks.

But I reserve a special Wall of Shame spot for the spare lug nut holder:
65550287-F1A1-4D56-9B06-9CA2E3CC2F42.jpeg

PIcked up a used F cylinder head a few weeks ago and all the studs had been changed out to fit the lug nuts which were holding the intake and exhaust on to the head.

Isn’t this what everyone does when converting to large pattern steering knuckles (maybe without the washers)
The ID of the washers is almost the OD of the nut.
But none of that matters if the booger welds on the steering arm fail.

Same SA truck, now in the shop for axle overhauls. Got under the rear end first. SURPRISE! Custom shock extenders!
C1448798-9A11-4AEE-A7C0-CE462F9AAB77.jpeg

And yes, three of the cover studs had been replaced with 17mm head bolts. A fourth decided to jump ship when I unscrewed the 17mm nuts. :rolleyes:

Cover off, I fish around inside and pull out two pinion roller bearings! :eek:

One wheel stud was already sheared off, so I only had to do 11,right? Except two of the 11 were not amenable to metric or SAE sockets. Not a special locknut, but I still ended up having to beat a socket on for those two.

Wheels off, oh great. Never seen a brake drum with neither a set screw hole or a weep hole for gear oil.
70EFDC61-CDEA-427F-BD82-05168348B672.jpeg

Wish I knew how to post video for what I found next!

Upload to Youtube and just post the link, it will automatically render.

Or send to me and I will post.

Upload to Youtube and just post the link, it will automatically render.

Or send to me and I will post.

Thanks for the offer Alf. I haven’t posted anything to YouTube in this decade!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom