The Tale of Two Cruisers... (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After @USMC22 got what he wanted out of the parts truck it was time to send it to scrap. I know it looks like there’s still some good panels on the truck, but thrrr are not. This thing is roached, but I served its purpose.

800006C9-CE49-44C2-820F-D3A5AD34DD9F.jpeg

854BF64E-DB9A-497F-9D54-19247421FE2A.jpeg

6BED86BE-83E0-4EFD-A545-9D33801AA517.jpeg

EA6DE829-4975-47DD-8D85-0CDB0F91F382.jpeg

47A10D3D-7C4A-42C9-B22E-B2ACB512FD9A.jpeg

As far as the keeper goes. I’ve been daily driving it and put almost 1000 miles on it already. I love it more everyday even rolled 150k in it about 700 miles ago now. Also found a new swing out latch thanks to amazon and got rid of that rusty piece of a handle that I had. Still have a list of crap to do, but slowly coming along. I’ve been averaging 12.5-13.5 mpg loaded down with all this weight and 305s.

My Mudd wanted add either and I was able to locate a slee ladder and basket. So, I grabbed it, but it’s sitting in Memphis. Need to find the time to go grab it!

Still Tons more to do, but it’s gonna be awesome when it’s finished.

1C3A7609-C1EF-4D7F-BFA4-7B44F2199D0E.jpeg

862A6862-EB67-48D2-BF96-793337F70202.jpeg

C7E32F50-2228-41EB-8E84-F793B39039AF.jpeg

0B649CD8-9E88-49D0-A53C-10ED39245A7E.jpeg

I can almost bet my day's pay that the Cruiser had a lot of beach days and salty Atlantic spray on the undercarriage, and then owner not rinsing it off right after. Lesson: don't put your gear away wet.

I can almost bet my day's pay that the Cruiser had a lot of beach days and salty Atlantic spray on the undercarriage, and then owner not rinsing it off right after. Lesson: don't put your gear away wet.

This was a Vermont truck its whole life. Probably poor care on icy roads!!! It is beyond rusty.....

Can someone explain to me why are those ugly Slee bumpers so popular amongst land cruiser owners and how does anyone justify paying so much for them? What’s the benefit?

Can someone explain to me why are those ugly Slee bumpers so popular amongst land cruiser owners and how does anyone justify paying so much for them? What’s the benefit?

Hahaha. Well.....

1) some of us don’t think they are ugly.

2) they are extremely well made

3) mine are 6 years old and the powder coating is still perfect.

4) Do you tell people their wives are ugly?

What I’m talking about is, is there any functional reason for bolting those ugly bumpers into the rusty holes in the frame?

is there any functional reason

-Stronger than stock and most aftermarket bumpers
-Integrated winch/accesories/spare tire mounts, tow hitch and recovery points
-Increased approach/departure angles and obstacle clearances

why are those ugly Slee bumpers so popular

Did a Slee bumper steal your girl or something?? You seem to be butthurt by this guy's choice of front/rear end armor...

Last edited:
I get that it's stronger than a stock bumper. You can weld an angle iron to the front of your truck and it'll be stronger too. Does anyone consider the crumple zone built into the vehicle and how the dynamic of a car crash changes when you bolt random s*** onto your frame?

And what's this about departure angles and clearances? The lowest point was never the stock bumpers. What can you clear now that you wouldn't have been able to clear with stock?

Hahaha. Well.....

1) some of us don’t think they are ugly.

2) they are extremely well made

3) mine are 6 years old and the powder coating is still perfect.

4) Do you tell people their wives are ugly?

After seeing the condition of the truck I ripped all of this Slee stuff off of I am SOLD. The truck was a crusty pile, but all the Slee stuff was solid as a rock. Quick blast and a fresh powder coat back and they were as good as new. Great product and protection. I know why I personally like this Slee setup, aside from the great quality and looks, because I absolutely stole it. What I have in this Slee setup anybody would rock the hell out of it! No doubt beats a "build it yourself" bumper kit.

Yep you did good salvaging that armor. It's almost as good as welding an angle iron up front....:deadhorse:

Last edited:
I get that it's stronger than a stock bumper. You can weld an angle iron to the front of your truck and it'll be stronger too. Does anyone consider the crumple zone built into the vehicle and how the dynamic of a car crash changes when you bolt random s*** onto your frame?

And what's this about departure angles and clearances? The lowest point was never the stock bumpers. What can you clear now that you wouldn't have been able to clear with stock?

I think you may be misinformed or confused. Armor is very functional when used off road. Your use of the vehicle may not benefit from those mods, but many on here wheel and wheel hard. Or just want extra insurance that they don't end up stranded, unable to recover a vehicle in a remote location or driving away with significant (sometimes totaling) body damage. Or perhaps, just enjoy making the car their own. Regardless of the reason, no point to hate on them - especially in a forum dedicated to enthusiasts and their off-road vehicles.

A few bullet points:
  • Approach and departure angles and/or heights are improved - significantly, pending the model of bumper. The front and rear bumpers are the first object limiting approach and departure. Not overall clearance, but approach and departure, yes.
  • Reduced damage upon contact. With armor you can crash down on boulders with little/no worry. Definitely not the case with OEM bumper covers.
  • Recovery points are created where they didn't exist before and they are far stronger, allowing use of snatch straps and other recovery methods. That can mean the difference between ruining bodywork and not when you get stuck.
  • Winch mount.
  • Spare tire carrier out from under vehicle.
  • Other accy mount on swing arm
  • ARB bumpers are, in fact, crash tested (see link below) and integrated into the OEM airbag and crumple zones. Most bumpers follow similar install and design principles and should behave similarly. A big reason why the ARB bumpers are popular in Australia is because they greatly reduce damage caused by kangaroos in the outback. That also applies in the US with deer/elk/moose.
  • Generally, the looks of the armor bumpers are preferred. You may dislike them, but you're likely the minority - certainly among enthusiasts.

I hope that shines a little light for you into the thought process of nearly everyone here. If you just drive on the highway then I think your opinions make more sense. If you spend time off road in desolate areas or moderate/difficult trails then this stuff becomes functional. There's no wrong way to enjoy a 'Cruiser. :)

This guy is more than confused...and HATES Slee bumpers for some reason. A mod deleted a subsequent post of his here where he replied that the OP's truck after the armor installation looked like "he strapped 100 lbs on a turkey and told it to run". Not completely sure that your rational reply and feedback can eliminate or even reduce his delusion if he actually feels this way.

I think the Hundy looks amazing and I've got to tip my hat and credit @Dustin Messina for not telling this guy where to get off despite how foolish the guy makes himself look...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom