Builds The Story of Blue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some updates are due:
Alternator high charge issue
I found a few wires for the accessories (running from the second battery) were compromised by mice! At least one of them was shorting to the ground causing the alternator to pump out excessive volts (upto 16.3v o_O ). Fixed all the wiring and that fixed the voltage issue. Now I get a steady 14.2v right from the idle speed. This 270A DC power alternator is a beast and completely an overkill and I love it!

Laser Lights
The tiny 3 inch square lights on the bumper weren't super useful, especially since I switched to LED bulbs in the low beams. I have had my eyes on these "LASER" lights for a while. They are definitely very bright but have a very limited spread. So far very happy with them.
20220104_150027.jpg
20220104_150136.jpg

Just the low beams
20220112_203852.jpg

With the new CO-LIGHTS. They need to be aimed a little better/higher
20220112_203945.jpg

Floating Type Android HU
I added a backup camera to upper hatch (on the inside) but the old Pioneer unit in the dash wouldn't display the feed from the camera. So I bought a new floating type Android head unit and installed it.
The fitment was pretty easy actually. The brackets from factory radio went on the new unit without any modification or massaging.
The screen piece comes off of the main body which covers the double din slot in the dash.

I have used no name Android units in the past but this time I was specifically looking for 4gb ram and a company with local support. I ended up getting the Eonon unit from Amazon for abt $330.
Amazon product ASIN B08R8YJKRL
I already had am aftermarket stereo with RCA cables running to the aftermarket amp under passenger seat. I think all I had to connect was a constant +12v, ignition, illumination and ground to power it on. All other connections were pretty straightforward too, like radio antenna, amp wire, RCA connections etc.

I also wired in a back up camera and the +12v that goes live when the truck is shifted to reverse.

20220112_205027.jpg

Those look great! I have the 9" Colight "Lasers" and love them. Just bought the yellow lens covers for them which was a game changer!

Which LED low beams did you go with? My LX has some garbage depot headlights the PO installed which are terrible, he gave me the OEM headlights as well so I'm itching to put those back on with some better bulbs.

Which LED low beams did you go with? My LX has some garbage depot headlights the PO installed which are terrible, he gave me the OEM headlights as well so I'm itching to put those back on with some better bulbs.
I went with Lasfit led bulbs since they are design to maintain the factory cut off. That's important because generic LED bulbs have no cut off and blind the oncoming traffic.
Also, the LED bulbs are larger than the tiny halogen bulbs so you will need a larger back cover. I used this since it was designed for the LX and was plug and play

I went with Lasfit led bulbs since they are design to maintain the factory cut off. That's important because generic LED bulbs have no cut off and blind the oncoming traffic.
Also, the LED bulbs are larger than the tiny halogen bulbs so you will need a larger back cover. I used this since it was designed for the LX and was plug and play
Thanks

Previous owner had the front and rear TJM airlockers activated by the ARB single compressor mounted right behind the passenger side fog lights. This placement was probably necessary since there is no room anywhere under the hood!
Needless to say that location is not very ideal. Predictably the compressor met its untimely demise on it first wash of salt and grime mix this winter.

I ended up buying another compressor (ARB CKMA12) but now am wondering where should I mount. As you can see below all the usual free spots are already taken! Would it make sense to mount the compressor somewhere inside the cab and run the air lines out to the lockers?

20210926_123700.jpg

Previous owner had the front and rear TJM airlockers activated by the ARB single compressor mounted right behind the passenger side fog lights. This placement was probably necessary since there is no room anywhere under the hood!
Needless to say that location is not very ideal. Predictably the compressor met its untimely demise on it first wash of salt and grime mix this winter.

I ended up buying another compressor (ARB CKMA12) but now am wondering where should I mount. As you can see below all the usual free spots are already taken! Would it make sense to mount the compressor somewhere inside the cab and run the air lines out to the lockers?

View attachment 2934899
It's not ideal but maybe in the back cargo area?

So your xompressor died after just washing the engine bay? Isn’t it supposed to be water proof?

So your xompressor died after just washing the engine bay? Isn’t it supposed to be water proof?
No, I think it was killed by the salty water from the road. It is very exposed to the elements and I am worried that even the new one won't last in this location

No, I think it was killed by the salty water from the road. It is very exposed to the elements and I am worried that even the new one won't last in this location
That sucks to hear and pretty disappointing. Those arb compressors cost an arm and a leg, I have one too. You would think it would be resistant to all elements: mud, dirt, road salt….you know real life s*** people take their car through. Apparently not.

Find an spot inside the cabin to mount the new one. On the 80 series a lot of people are installing them inside the passenger quarter panel pocket using the Wit’s End bracket. The LX470 unfortunately has the hunking rear AC unit in that location but I’m sure you can find another spot somewhere, good thing the compressor doesn’t take up too much space.

If you do decide to keep it in the engine bay, I wonder if winter proofing it will help against salt? I literally spray the crap out of EVERYTHING in the engine bay with Boeshield T9 every fall and it keeps corrosion and rust off any aluminum and steel components. Been doing it for years, stuff basically dries clear but works like magic. I know people use that stuff religiously on salt water equipment, boat engines, etc. it’s not cheap but I think it’s way cheaper than buying a new compressor every season lol.

Find an spot inside the cabin to mount the new one. On the 80 series a lot of people are installing them inside the passenger quarter panel pocket using the Wit’s End bracket. The LX470 unfortunately has the hunking rear AC unit in that location but I’m sure you can find another spot somewhere, good thing the compressor doesn’t take up too much space.

If you do decide to keep it in the engine bay, I wonder if winter proofing it will help against salt? I literally spray the crap out of EVERYTHING in the engine bay with Boeshield T9 every fall and it keeps corrosion and rust off any aluminum and steel components. Been doing it for years, stuff basically dries clear but works like magic. I know people use that stuff religiously on salt water equipment, boat engines, etc. it’s not cheap but I think it’s way cheaper than buying a new compressor every season lol.
Some good ideas here, thanks. I am leaning towards either mounting it in the place of factory subwoofer (behind the trim panel) or in the dead space under the drawer wing.
I will need to find a good way to run the air lines out, but I am sure I will figure out something.

Too large to fit in the front quarter panel space behind a corner light with some modification?

Too large to fit in the front quarter panel space behind a corner light with some modification?
Ooh! That is a great idea 💡. There might be enough room there.

Personally, I wouldn't want to listen to the ARB compressor inside the cabin. Especially in a luxury automobile like the LX! I have one under the hood and it is plenty loud inside the cabin when it comes on.

How about fabbing a small bracket and mounting it near the firewall, above the intake manifold where a lot of hot shower heat exchangers are installed?
1645803838754.png

This right here is why I love this forum. No snark, no rough housing just plain good ideas!
So here's a quick compilation of the ideas so far:
  • Mount by the firewall
    • Quite inside the cab, close to the second battery, minimum reworking of the air lines
  • Mount inside front fender
    • Would be mostly out of the elements, still close the second battery and even less reworking of the air lines
  • Mount in the cab
    • completely safe from the elements, requires new wiring and air line routing, loud!
  • Dreamy/expensive: Move the second battery to left rear quarter panel area in the cab (and upgrade to LiPO4), use the space opened up by the second battery for the air compressor and stuff
Decisions, decisions!

Personally, I wouldn't want to listen to the ARB compressor inside the cabin. Especially in a luxury automobile like the LX! I have one under the hood and it is plenty loud inside the cabin when it comes on.

How about fabbing a small bracket and mounting it near the firewall, above the intake manifold where a lot of hot shower heat exchangers are installed?
View attachment 2936244

This right here is why I love this forum. No snark, no rough housing just plain good ideas!
So here's a quick compilation of the ideas so far:
  • Mount by the firewall
    • Quite inside the cab, close to the second battery, minimum reworking of the air lines
  • Mount inside front fender
    • Would be mostly out of the elements, still close the second battery and even less reworking of the air lines
  • Mount in the cab
    • completely safe from the elements, requires new wiring and air line routing, loud!
  • Dreamy/expensive: Move the second battery to left rear quarter panel area in the cab (and upgrade to LiPO4), use the space opened up by the second battery for the air compressor and stuff
Decisions, decisions!
Move the battery and upgrade for the good of the forum

It's time to let Golden go to another home. Bitter-sweet moment really but I don't have room to park two trucks :(

One project that I have been delaying for almost 6 months is the dead onboard compressor. The compressor was mounted behind the right front fog lights and was totally exposed to the elements. On it's first winter drive it got drenched in salty water and promptly committed suicide. Since my truck as TJM air lockers, they also stopped working with the demise of the compressor. So I am back to relying on the good old A-Trac for a while now!

Well, it just so happened that Rami @Ramathorn15 finally got his compressor mount back in stock. I decided to take this opportunity to also rip off a lot of spaghetti wiring for all the accessories at the same time and start cleaning up the electrical stuff.

Step 1: Get rid of the big wire nest feeding all the accessories from the house battery
20210524_141821_LI.jpg

Step 2: Add a cut off switch and an inline 250A fuse.
Step 3: Mount the ARB high output compressor between the air cleaner and AHC reservoir using the Owl Expedition mount
20220524_135650.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom