Builds The Story of Blue (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing I really disliked at our last outing was how every time suspension bottomed out, it resulted in a pretty sudden and strong jolt. The factory bump stops are not designed for comfort, they are mostly designed to protect the suspension parts. I have had pretty good experience with the wheeler off road bump stop in my 98 so I decided to try them on this truck too.

I did cut off about 1/2" from the front stops so they don't touch the control arms at normal height. One tip to make the front install easier is to super glue the bolts to the bump stop, then you can just turn the whole bump stop to screw it in, instead of fiddling with the L key!

View attachment 2787001View attachment 2787002
How did it change the ride? Do these prevent your AHC going all the way down on low?

How did it change the ride? Do these prevent your AHC going all the way down on low?
Actually it didn't have any effect on the ride (at least from what I can tell). And the truck still goes to L as before.

Unrelated: I also took off the washer bottle cover and now my wheel is no longer hitting anything! I have barely an inch of clearance at full low!

20210916_141824.jpg

This thread has been quite for a few days because I am just driving it a lot and enjoying it! My favorite upgrade to date is the LRA gas tank - 400 miles between the fills!
20210921_213017.jpg

Last week, I started feeling the driver front wheel clunk softly when it goes over the bumps. So I jacked up by the LCA and checked for play by grabbing the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock. Sure enough there is pretty noticeable play!
Then I tried the pry bar under the front wheel to see if there is any play in the lower ball joint (the UCA, Lower BJ and the outer tie rods are brand new in the last 3000 miles) - well I didn't find any there. Next, I looked at the steering rack closely while shaking the wheel and didn't notice any movement in the rack itself (it also has new poly bushings).
The steering fluid doesn't seem to ever go low, there are no leaks anywhere so I am hoping the rack had some life left in it.

So now, I am guessing the inner tie rods have play in them. Or perhaps the rack itself has play in it? Could it be the LCA bushings?

Oh and also. the drive side CV axle is spewing grease every where and perhaps the clunk might be coming from it but that won't explain the lateral play in the front end.

Last edited:
On electrical end, I finally got rid of the nonoperational Ironman 275 amp dual battery controller and replaced it with a Blue Sea ML-ACR (Amazon product ASIN B001VIXLRO) mounted on the Owl Expedition Accessory Tray (100 Series Land Cruiser and LX470 Accessory Tray - https://owlexpedition.com/collections/100-series-land-cruiser-lx470/products/100-series-land-cruiser-and-lx470-accesory-tray).

This is the second tray and probably the 4th item I have bought from @Ramathorn15 and they have all been great products and very affordably priced!

20210925_211649.jpg
20210926_123646.jpg

A view of the very full engine bay.
20210926_123700.jpg

One little niggling issue I have had since the beginning is play in the steering wheel. The wheel had play vertically and horizontally. Based on @katit 's post in his thread, I ordered these tiny bushings 90389-08124 that go on the four pivot point for steering wheel. All in all pretty easy job.
1. take off 3 Philips screws on the bottom of the clamshell covering the steering column. (two are behind steering wheel, just turn steering wheel to get to them)
2. separate the top and bottom pieces of the clamshell cover.
3. Take off the pivot bolts for the top pivot (do only 2 at a time) - I did 2 top ones first and then 2 bottom ones. bolts are 6 mm Allen heads
4. replace the bushings and put everything back together.

bushing.JPG
20210927_134345.jpg

View from the top
20210927_133145_LI.jpg

View from the side.
20210927_133205_LI.jpg

Awesome. I have been putting this off thinking it would be a pain. Do the little bushings become visible once your remove the allen heads?
It is a very straight forward job. Once you remove both upper, the whole steering wheel mount swing down and you can replace the bushing on the column. Same goes for the lower pair too.

Status update?
Oh, I posted here a few pages ago, I had a local business clean up the under side and spray with NH Oil on all of the frame, inside rails and and all cavities.
Hopefully that should suffice.

Reactions: MJK
Awesome - should have known!

Been following along and have seen all the hard work, but somehow managed to miss that. Enjoy in good health!

Last edited:
Thanks @MJK .

So almost 4 months after I replaced the passenger side exhaust header, I finally gathered enough courage to start working on the driver side. Welp after taking off the under shield, disconnecting the cat side connection and taking 2 of the 8 nuts off, I ran out of patience. Bravely, I put everything back to it's original place, and decided to shelf the project for another day! :redface:

While I was under the truck I had the distinctive pleasure of finding out that passenger side CV, after having busted it's outer boot at some previous time, has expelled all of it's life-preserving unguent and is now gleefully airing its innards via a gaping gash. The driver side CV appears to be on the verge of following suit unabashedly. A quick call to the local blood suckers (otherwise knows as dealership) revealed that the remanufactured units (43430-60040-84) are nationally backordered.

Some days are just lovely and full of joy...

I have been struggling with figuring out my preference for rear swing outs. Truck came with ARB bumper with dual spare wheel swing out:
20210802_055924.jpg

Very first thing I realized was that taking the spare off impossible without tools! I literally had to unbolt the rear license plate holder, backup lamps and disconnect all the wires, before I could even start taking off the spare!! Imagine having to deal with all that at the Interstate when it is -20F :censor:
So the first iteration was to move the spare to it's own swing out!

20210816_142536.jpg

Soon I realized, having to deal with two swing outs every time I need to open the hatch was just not practical for daily use. Then I added a hitch mounted bike rack and basically gave up on using the hatch. So I decided to remove at least one swing out (at least for daily duties). Taking off the swing out was fairly straight forward (a single 30mm M20 bolt!). I ordered a blank cover for the left side but quickly realized that ARB calls for removal of the whole bumper just to install the cover! o_O
So now that where I am with left face of the bumper missing!
What do you guys think, just run without cover (I am not too concerned with the looks) but if there is another way to install the cover.
20211015_143551.jpg

I have been struggling with figuring out my preference for rear swing outs. Truck came with ARB bumper with dual spare wheel swing out:
View attachment 2813611

Very first thing I realized was that taking the spare off impossible without tools! I literally had to unbolt the rear license plate holder, backup lamps and disconnect all the wires, before I could even start taking off the spare!! Imagine having to deal with all that at the Interstate when it is -20F :censor:
So the first iteration was to move the spare to it's own swing out!

View attachment 2813612

Soon I realized, having to deal with two swing outs every time I need to open the hatch was just not practical for daily use. Then I added a hitch mounted bike rack and basically gave up on using the hatch. So I decided to remove at least one swing out (at least for daily duties). Taking off the swing out was fairly straight forward (a single 30mm M20 bolt!). I ordered a blank cover for the left side but quickly realized that ARB calls for removal of the whole bumper just to install the cover! o_O
So now that where I am with left face of the bumper missing!
What do you guys think, just run without cover (I am not too concerned with the looks) but if there is another way to install the cover.
View attachment 2813613
If you gave up on the hatch then why not put the swing arm back? It does look a little broken…

If you gave up on the hatch then why not put the swing arm back? It does look a little broken…
That's my whole problem. I really want to use the hatch and tailgate. With only one swing out, it is somewhat manageable.,

Can you cut the carrier portion off of the swing arm you wont be using and use that as 'the cover'? The swing arm would be there ready for you to weld another carrier or whatever on in the future, if desired. I am not familiar with how the ARB latching mechanism works, but I assume both swing away's are latched individually.

Can you cut the carrier portion off of the swing arm you wont be using and use that as 'the cover'? The swing arm would be there ready for you to weld another carrier or whatever on in the future, if desired. I am not familiar with how the ARB latching mechanism works, but I assume both swing away's are latched individually.
Yes they are latched separately. I really love the idea of chopping off the top loop and then using the swing out as cover.
My only hesitation is the swingout is worth a few $100s, while a brand new cover is just a t $100.
May be I could weld a hitch receiver to the second swing out and mount my bike rack on it, making it easier to swing out the bike rack out of the way!

Decided to refresh the remaining rubber parts in the front end. New LCAs, tie rod ends etc, made a pretty significant improvement over the summer, but I just didn't have the time to deal with more involved bushings like the AHC shocks and LCAs.
Ordered AC Delco bushings (they are OEM toyota boxed as ACD!) and a couple of 555 branded LBJs. Had a local shop press in the bushing No.1 in the LCAs and lower round bushing on the shocks.
I took care of the bushing No.2 on the frame for LCAs and the LBJs. Still waiting on a couple of parts to show up in the mail (shock bushings are taking their sweet time!)

parts $350, labor $120, time about 6 hours:
ACDELCO 45G9288 Front Lower Forward Bushing x2
ACDELCO 45G9287 Front Lower Rearward Bushing x2
Sankei 555 ball joints x2
90316-72001 SEAL, OIL (FOR FRONT AXLE HUB INNER),RH/LH x2
90903-89016 BUSH(FOR FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER)
90948-01075 CUSHION, FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER, NO.1 x2
90948-01076 CUSHION, FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER, NO.2 x2
43423-35010 CAP, FRONT AXLE HUB GREASE, RH/LH x2
90311-47013 OIL SEAL, FRONT DRIVE SHAFT, RH/LH x2
90119-14093 BOLT, W/WASHER x2
90179-14045 NUT(FOR FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER BRACKET LOWER) x2

Still looking like this:

20211019_175659.jpg
20211009_131033.jpg
20211018_133033.jpg

20211018_133132.jpg

Screenshot_20211009-130820_Chrome.jpg