Builds The "Red Rocket" Troopy (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We were doing the same as a kid on that same beach but with a 76 Scout with no floorboards. Looks like a good time!
I still find it so awesome that you grew up right here doing the same exact stuff I'm doing now, love it. And we both own Troopys lol. If you ever happen to come back into town for a bit then shoot me a PM and we can go wheeling out at Fort Fisher!

I still find it so awesome that you grew up right here doing the same exact stuff I'm doing now, love it. And we both own Troopys lol. If you ever happen to come back into town for a bit then shoot me a PM and we can go wheeling out at Fort Fisher!

I come back once a year to surf and to see my folks. In that order. But I usually fly... haha That would be a LONG drive.

I come back once a year to surf and to see my folks. In that order. But I usually fly... haha That would be a LONG drive.
Haha true, didn't even think about that factor, still though I'll be glad to take you out on Fort Fisher if you ever wanted in just my Troopy, just PM :)

A buddy and mine took the Red Rocket on a road trip to the Outer Banks, cause why not. Watched the sunset, then the sunrise and drove to the bottom of the Outer Banks and back. Managed to hit a new land speed record in the "Red Rocket"... 70 mph! Yes, it was on a very long downhill and the wind was pushing us but it can be done! Here's just some of the photos I took of the short 1-day road trip. Hopefully yall enjoy.

EDS_0826 (1).jpg

EDS_0775.jpg

EDS_0663.jpg

EDS_0580.jpg

EDS_0462.jpg

Was that 70 mph pulled bombing down the Oregon Inlet bridge :rolleyes: ? Nice shot there with the Bodie Island Light House. Sorry I missed you guys, and we'll meet up next time you come to the OBX

Note that this licence plate would have been a rear licence plate only in France.
A yellow licence plate in the back would have come with a white one in the Front until 2007.

But it's cool to keep a visible trace of the history of this cool troopy !

A buddy and mine took the Red Rocket on a road trip to the Outer Banks, cause why not. Watched the sunset, then the sunrise and drove to the bottom of the Outer Banks and back. Managed to hit a new land speed record in the "Red Rocket"... 70 mph! Yes, it was on a very long downhill and the wind was pushing us but it can be done! Here's just some of the photos I took of the short 1-day road trip. Hopefully yall enjoy.

View attachment 2364467

View attachment 2364468

View attachment 2364469

View attachment 2364470

View attachment 2364471
I wish I had your “street creds” when I was your age. I had a $500.00 Ford Fairlane. :)

Was that 70 mph pulled bombing down the Oregon Inlet bridge :rolleyes: ? Nice shot there with the Bodie Island Light House. Sorry I missed you guys, and we'll meet up next time you come to the OBX
Perhapssss, saw a chance to maybe break a top speed and shot for it haha! And yea it’s a shame but there’s always next time 👍

I wish I had your “street creds” when I was your age. I had a $500.00 Ford Fairlane. :)
I think you mixed up your cars?
$500 back in Charles day was a lot of money. He could buy a car brand new off the lot.
:lol:

1594212760435.jpeg

Top speed of 42mph and 20hp so VERy similar to your troopy @theglobb :rofl:

looks like you are having a blast with this cruiser! Enjoy it!

Note that this licence plate would have been a rear licence plate only in France.
A yellow licence plate in the back would have come with a white one in the Front until 2007.

But it's cool to keep a visible trace of the history of this cool troopy !
Oh really? Oops. My dad got if for my birthday and obviously we aren’t experts on French road laws lol. Thanks for letting me know that’s actually really interesting, appreciate it!

Haha, sounds like an interesting ride. I am very very blessed to be able to own a Troopy, and work on our other Landcruisers, especially at my age. Obviously no way I could have ever done this on my own. Without my dad the closest thing to owning a Landcruiser would be a poster on my wall.

Haha, sounds like an interesting ride. I am very very blessed to be able to own a Troopy, and work on our other Landcruisers, especially at my age. Obviously no way I could have ever done this on my own. Without my dad the closest thing to owning a Landcruiser would be a poster on my wall.
Its good that you listen to your dad. In my senior year of high school I decided I wanted a Triumph. My dad told me I would regret that decision. I informed him that I “was twice as smart as him” and knew what I was doing. As it turns out I was a dumb ass and had no clue what I was doing. :lol:

Took the Troopy on our annual family trip to the mountains, near Boone/Blowing Rock, NC. I am genuinely amazed at how gilmorneau and/or anyone else that drives a 3B powered anything (especially troopy) at altitude up mountains. Most inclines up here I have to go up pegging it in 2nd gear at 20-25 mph in a 55 zone, sometimes 2nd won't even hold so then I'm stuck going 10ish in 1st with semi-trucks flying past me. Just massive props to y'all, I didn't think it was THIS bad. Also doesn't help that I'm hauling 8 people around with me but that's beside the point. Other than the butt-clenching hill climbs, it's just as beautiful as ever here making for great photos with the Troopy, and since its only 70 degrees up here I finally get to experience driving the Troopy in a cool environment, compared to the 90-100 degrees I'm usually used to. I'll definitely be taking more photos in the next week or so that we are up here, so for now enjoy these and stay safe out there.

EDS_0694.jpg

EDS_0584.jpg

EDS_0690-2.jpg

EDS_0893.jpg

EDS_0646 (1).jpg

If it makes you feel any better, my 12HT Troopy still goes 40mph up really steep grades on the highway and we're over 7,000' here but my fuel screw is also down a bit to keep EGT lower.

Granted, I'm not hauling 8 people around, but I've never had any hill climbing experiences like you describe with my 3B powered Troopy. I have driven it up to the Eisenhower tunnel (elevation 11,150ft), Vail Pass (10,600ft), Wolf Creek Pass (10,800ft), and others. Never went into first gear. Not sure I ever went into 2nd on any of those. Don't think so, but if I did, it was only briefly 'cause some d*cktard cut me off and I lost momentum. There's a section of Boulder Canyon called "the narrows" that's over 10% grade (which is damn steep for most highways), and for a short distance on that I might have to go into 2nd, but as soon as the steep bit is over, it's back to 3rd, then 4th by the time I get closer to Nederland.

Maybe it's just the extra weight you're carrying, but you might want to check a few things that might be slowing you down. Are your brakes dragging? When did you last adjust your valves? Compression still good? Fuel mixture and timing OK? Injectors? Not much to go wrong with these motors, but they should do better than what you've described. Are you getting a lot of smoke? Is it getting unusually hot?

Try a run up a hill without passengers--just empty--and see how it does. If it's still as slow as you say, you need to figure out why. Something's up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom