The pintle hook thread. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a couple of photos of a crusty old military surplus pintle hitch with the chain plate.

I bet that thing has pulled some cool stuff! Looks authentic. :smokin:

Thanks to Jim for the pics. I found my receipt on the chain plate I got from TNJ Murray:

I'm pretty sure that's the mil part # if you're searching for one.

just ordered mine from a fellow mudder for 40 shipped. needs to be painted and cleaned up. cant wait. ill post pics when installed

Got mine in the mail today!!! Need to get it blasted and powdercoated.
One question: do I need a backing plate behind the bumper with holes to match?
Any pics on the back side of your bumper

Here it is
fad4ffee.jpg

65e593ca.jpg

Last edited:
Basically I just sandwiched the chain plate between the pintle and the bumper face.

I did not use any backing plate, just making sure that the bolts I used were long enough to reach through to the two captive nuts in the upper holes and the same for the lower holes. I also allowed length for the washer I used under each bolt head.

Hope you get some good use out of it 93yotasr5!! Powder coat, fancy.

I just got my chain plate from TNJ so I can proceed with mine too. I am going for the pintle/ball style hitch, but just spray painted. It looked about like that one as far as a before condition.

FYI...TNJ is out of the $12 surplus chain plates unless you want one that is bent. A new condition one is $28 I think. I went for bent, and it is not that bent at all.

Awesome. I also plan on using it as a recovery point, so I can also remove the receiver hitch and gain some ground clearance.
I'll probably order a plate todAy and get it coated as well.
Thanks

Awesome. I also plan on using it as a recovery point, so I can also remove the receiver hitch and gain some ground clearance.
I'll probably order a plate todAy and get it coated as well.
Thanks

Take this comment FWIW but I would not use any type of hitch mounted to this bumper as a recovery point. You have two recovery points installed just for that purpose on the frame on either side and I would use them (that's what they are there for). Towing is typically a nice uniform load and even I wouldn't tow more than a couple of thousands pounds of low inertia (as in not stuck) load (e.g. trailer, boat, etc.). Recovery on the other hand, will be a much higher load, especially if the LC is what's being recovered. I think the chances of bending the rear bumper will be pretty high.

Good to know. That makes sense.
Thanks

e1e7db8d.jpg

5ebfcdf5.jpg

41a65fde.jpg

ended up spraying it with hammerfinished black. turned out great. used an auto primer before i put 2 coats of hammer on it.

Got it installed today. Used some galv. Eyehooks for the safety chain.
I like it alot. Now I just need to find me an m101 trailer!
ccbd3f15.jpg

I just replaced my eye bolts with a chain plate. Thought I would post a pic and source. Got the plate here: Safety Chain Plate-M151-11639657

It showed up almost perfect with military green paint. Probably could have used it as is but wanted to get rid of the rust that was starting to form on the hitch so I painted everything black.

M12x1.25x50mm on top and 1/2"x2" grade 8 hardware on the bottom. You can easily use 1/2"x1.5" for the bottom as well.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to find M12x1.25 in anything other than metric grade 8.8. I would have preferred 10.9 or 12.9 but I've already towed several large loads with these bolts so they should be fine.
Pintle hitch with chain plate.jpg

I wish some one made a pintle mount shackle loop .... I never tow any thing and it would be a good place to attach a strap to yank some stuck Jeeps out of the way

looks good man. now im about to have a rear bumper fabbed up. dont know if i will be needing my pintle any longer.:( ill prolly end up using a ball hitch/pintle or just one of those off road hitches that looks like a CV joint

I wish some one made a pintle mount shackle loop .... I never tow any thing and it would be a good place to attach a strap to yank some stuck Jeeps out of the way

They do but you should read post #29 (even though I know you were just being funny).

Looks great! The chain plate really makes for a neat install.
:cheers:

I just replaced my eye bolts with a chain plate. Thought I would post a pic and source. Got the plate here: Safety Chain Plate-M151-11639657

It showed up almost perfect with military green paint. Probably could have used it as is but wanted to get rid of the rust that was starting to form on the hitch so I painted everything black.

M12x1.25x50mm on top and 1/2"x2" grade 8 hardware on the bottom. You can easily use 1/2"x1.5" for the bottom as well.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to find M12x1.25 in anything other than metric grade 8.8. I would have preferred 10.9 or 12.9 but I've already towed several large loads with these bolts so they should be fine.

What brand is your hitch and where did you get it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom