The one ton swap thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Made it home, some small drama at the border for my American friend, a throttle linkage acted up and I think a motor mount bushing is pooched, got home in time for some light flooding on the street.. supposed to get worse this week. Maybe a good time to get the axle breather lines sorted..

0F736A1A-FC81-43BF-8C94-E0DC18DCBDEA.jpeg

87926DA7-E6CB-445B-8410-B373D1345103.jpeg

40FBB06E-2206-4970-875D-3552FDE50C2F.jpeg

Just replaced the turbo, the H1C that came on the first gen was starting to really lag, and make black smoke.

The “new” turbo is an HX35 out of a later gen truck, which I rebuilt and had issues, so I bought a cartridge off rock auto and swapped again.

It boosts better, but I’m thinking about pinching off the waste gate hose, it’s not a huge difference from the H1C when it was working properly.

Also redid engine mounts a while ago, and fixed a throttle linkage. Plus an Alpicool fridge, just haven’t driven it much since I realized the turbo was pooched.

I’m really happy with these patriot tires. I have the iroks that I plan to stud for winter travel, but I think these may be my new “go-to” tire. Such a different drive, I can hear the turbo spool and it steers great, hydro boost and rubber have been such a great investment in this build.

2EE99DEB-6FCF-4409-AEDE-04A37F6ED5A4.jpeg

Accumulator mod:

1E003495-8B9C-40E4-B28C-0BB3DA7651AC.jpeg

482384B4-2163-45CB-8972-036ADED5F6C1.jpeg

AC2F983A-D96C-40C9-BA59-358C5A80CD35.jpeg

In the interest of trying to smooth out the ride a bit (heavier front axle/wheel/tire combo - more unsprung weight) I decided to add some accumulator bottles. The cheap and easy option is the used propane tanks, drilled out with a brass adapter fitting with core removed and drilled out. This changes the spring rate slightly, and also increases the air up/down times.

I took it to the local Rona to grab some flux for soldering and had to take a snowbank selfie. I actually didn't notice the snow pile till I drove up on it though.

I added in the rubber fender trim late last year, it covers the other tires, but to be honest, I dislike the look of it. I have the wider front fenders to replace the cracked front, but it takes a bit of work to pull fenders off. Wishing I had some wider fender flares for this to be honest, but as the rear wheel well is lengthened they would have to be one off ($$).

Last edited:
So sorry Man, I hope no one was hurt !!!

Holy cow! Sorry man! Time to find another rig to bolt your hardware onto.

How did this happen if you don’t mind?

Pretty lucky that I ducked over the passenger as it rolled, some old dude hit me, totally at fault, lots of witnesses.

Not impressed by how well the A pillar held up

IMG_2657.jpeg

Damn Gina, glad your okay

Cut the roof off, add a little touchup paint and that will buff right out. Must not have been the cheap Chinese snorkle.

Man that's a bummer! Glad you're ok

Not impressed by how well the A pillar held up

Or the B pillar! But the Cummin, 1-tons and 42s may weigh more than the factory bits.

There is so much work in that truck. Time to buy the parts back and build the hilux?

There's been a bunch of threads over the years showing crashes. The reality is that even with a stock truck, the upper body structure is not very strong, especially at speed.

Think about it this way. It's two pieces of stamped 16ga (iirc) steel that are spot welded together to form the a-pillar. Same with the other pillars. The rain gutter adds a third layer, but not much additional strength.

Glad you're OK @cody c . Hopefully you find another truck to bolt all that goodness into, and if not, hopefully you get a good check from the old man's insurance.

Just an update.

The other party that hit me has apparently taken 100% of fault. Insurance has put me in a new BMW X3 to drive until settlement amount realized.

I've created a spreadsheet for pricing and components to work out price but haven't talked to adjusters yet.

Driving an X3 to work today. I feel like I have no soul, just another blue collar chump dressed up like a white collar chump working for a retirement. Its really weird for me.

Also, not sure what I should say online, neck is a bit stiff almost two weeks later but no pain, just limited range of motion a bit, kind of tight but I don't notice it unless I talk about it and move my head around to explain....

And here's the "funny but not funny" part...

I have a dent in my skull it seems. Like an almost egg sized section of skull is collapsed or pushed in. I couldn't tell until the very large goose egg went down, but I now have a dent in my skull post accident.

Plan on getting a CT scan done in the next couple days, no major symptoms, but a bit tired lately (probably still healing up) and some strange symptoms like my head feeling hot and taking a 3 hour nap yesterday afternoon. I think I'll have to "lawyer up" a bit and talk to some docs about my nogging. Not sure if the doctor will suggest I avoid certain sports or need to get a plate in my had (think national lampoon - Randy Quaid).

Hoping I get some images I can post online of the CT scan or something.

In the long term I plan on buying back the remnants and then maybe selling out the thing with body removed or maybe with another body swapped on if there is interest from the forum.

-cruiserless Cody

Goodluck man, definitely get a lawyer and lots of medical tests at the minimum. My last wreck jacked up my neck and shoulder and it took a solid 2 weeks before the pain started. Having an attorney to handle all the stupid phone calls and stress of the situation was well worth it.

Hope the noggin is good👍

Holy s*** dude. Get all the scans man, make sure to document that it's related to the accident.

In the future, for anyone else, always go to the hospital from the accident, especially when it's this bad, to get checked out. Head injuries are nothing to scoff at.

The effects on your body pop up down the road. I thought I was totally fine after a 25MPH T-bone, but turned into 5 years of back problems for me.

Just an update.

The other party that hit me has apparently taken 100% of fault. Insurance has put me in a new BMW X3 to drive until settlement amount realized.

I've created a spreadsheet for pricing and components to work out price but haven't talked to adjusters yet.

Driving an X3 to work today. I feel like I have no soul, just another blue collar chump dressed up like a white collar chump working for a retirement. Its really weird for me.

Also, not sure what I should say online, neck is a bit stiff almost two weeks later but no pain, just limited range of motion a bit, kind of tight but I don't notice it unless I talk about it and move my head around to explain....

And here's the "funny but not funny" part...

I have a dent in my skull it seems. Like an almost egg sized section of skull is collapsed or pushed in. I couldn't tell until the very large goose egg went down, but I now have a dent in my skull post accident.

Plan on getting a CT scan done in the next couple days, no major symptoms, but a bit tired lately (probably still healing up) and some strange symptoms like my head feeling hot and taking a 3 hour nap yesterday afternoon. I think I'll have to "lawyer up" a bit and talk to some docs about my nogging. Not sure if the doctor will suggest I avoid certain sports or need to get a plate in my had (think national lampoon - Randy Quaid).

Hoping I get some images I can post online of the CT scan or something.

In the long term I plan on buying back the remnants and then maybe selling out the thing with body removed or maybe with another body swapped on if there is interest from the forum.

-cruiserless Cody
Not to worry you too much, but if you have a dent in your skull, you could have a depression fracture. You want to get that checked right away.

Does anyone know of a shop that swaps one ton axles, just looking for pricing online so I can put together pricing for insurance.

Some references to a mechanic that has pricing online would make things easy. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom