The "Official" 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Airbox/Intake Mod Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This timing is tragic! I wait for this airbox to come out for over 18 months, blow up my turbo, but a new one and a PDI airbox and, within 5 days, the Torfab box comes out!

I'm still glad it's out... and would love to compare it to the PDI box I ended up buying.

This timing is tragic! I wait for this airbox to come out for over 18 months, blow up my turbo, but a new one and a PDI airbox and, within 5 days, the Torfab box comes out!

I'm still glad it's out... and would love to compare it to the PDI box I ended up buying.

Insane timing mate, seen you mention a possible torbox for what seems like two years, then a couple days after you jump ship....... hate to see it

Insane timing mate, seen you mention a possible torbox for what seems like two years, then a couple days after you jump ship....... hate to see it
Yeah, I wanted that airbox to be one of my first mods! I guess it just wasn't mean't to be. I'll be sure to post my impressions if/when I get the PDI airbox installed... it would be fun to compare and contrast the 2 models.

We put a vacuum gauge on the intake tube, and with any boosted application where you're running north of 10psi the vacuum becomes excessive. Air box outlet needs to be minimum 3.5" and inlet at 4 or 5" was ideal. We measured vacuum after each mod until we had reasonable results.

Too much vacuum, for example, then the turbo will be sucking air in too fast and you would pull the turbine wheel forward causing seal and/or bearing failure in the turbo.

The snorkel inlet is 2.5" at the top, so way too restrictive. If you insist on running a snorkel, then I would recommend installing a second inlet to the air box that can be capped when fording deep water.

We put a vacuum gauge on the intake tube, and with any boosted application where you're running north of 10psi the vacuum becomes excessive. Air box outlet needs to be minimum 3.5" and inlet at 4 or 5" was ideal. We measured vacuum after each mod until we had reasonable results.

Too much vacuum, for example, then the turbo will be sucking air in too fast and you would pull the turbine wheel forward causing seal and/or bearing failure in the turbo.

The snorkel inlet is 2.5" at the top, so way too restrictive. If you insist on running a snorkel, then I would recommend installing a second inlet to the air box that can be capped when fording deep water.

Makes sense in that scenario.

Have you done any testing with 3" or 4" snorkels commonly run with modern high boost, high flow turbos guys are running?

I wouldn't recommend using a snorkel with high boost because it'll kill your turbo.
The 4" snorkel is fine, just not the ARB or factory ones

Marketing 101 - a problem is an opportunity.

Develop a snorkel to go with it and upsell.

Torfab
"If you're running high boost with or new airbox, we recommend our 4" snorkel. We have tested standard snorkels and they restrict airflow at high boost which can destroy your new $3K Turbo"

Punter who is high on those lofty diesel fumes
" Well sh t! I've coughed up 3 large on a turbo, dropped a wad on a shiny new airbox, I'll be f cked of I'll let a pissant snorkel slow my beast down! Sign me up for the supersize dorkel”

:hmm:

:rofl:

Here's my PDI airbox. This thing is huge! We had to cut some of my ARB battery box out to fit it in there. We also had to slot the mounting holes a bit. (@FJRanger ) But, it fits in there pretty nicely. ... tight but nicely. Low boost response seem very good and running 22PSI on my new turbo with this box seems very easy and uneventful. After my next trip, I might bump boost up to 24 or 25psi.

i

Duramax Airbox Installed in 92 HDJ

I recently installed an airbox from a 2010 Duramax in my HDJ81v Landcruiser. Large airbox intake and a 5" outlet. Attached to 4" tube with as few bends as possible. Tapered silicone adapter to turbo.
Significantly better turbo response. EGTs down about 100degrees. Pretty tight and simple. It took 2 evenings to measure and fit the airbox. Under 200.00.
I dont have any plans of driving where I need a snorkel. Currently getting fresh air from the fender hole for stock air box.
20190927_094954.jpg

20190925_212354.jpg
20190925_212638.jpg

20190927_095132.jpg

20190925_212705.jpg

Last edited:
It comes with the outlet pipe based on your application

is your box raw metal or coated? i will be ordering one once i get home from my holiday and pay off my card!! i’ve been waiting a long time for this to happen. happy to see it has! i’d like to hook it up to my ARB snorkel but will put a second inlet (as you mentioned earlier) in hence the question about coating. i’d rather have bare metal to start with so i can weld one in.

The 4" snorkel is fine, just not the ARB or factory ones
I have the armax snorkel on my hdj79, the thing looks neat and flows enough too. I believe pdi run one on their hdj79, which is making north of 1000nm.

Just some advice here, if you can find someone that works for a company with great FedEx rates, you can chop up to 80 percent or more off the quoted rate. There are also some vendors here that container across stuff, so you may be able to ride on board that. Also, a group buy would be a solid option to save both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom