The "Official" 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Airbox/Intake Mod Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

12795385_1060728417320565_1981431784468141110_n.jpg

The last i checked, freight on an air box from down under was $4-500. That's the problem, you Aussies get all the cool stuff and we're stuck here drooling over what the post office has turned into near unobtanium

@slosh what is the metal tubing coming off the side of the upper intake box on the side of the battery?

The last i checked, freight on an air box from down under was $4-500. That's the problem, you Aussies get all the cool stuff and we're stuck here drooling over what the post office has turned into near unobtanium

Trust, me is the same for us trying to shop good stuff from USA!
You guys have some awesome outdoor gear available to you that I'd like, but shipping often doubles the price, plus our $$ is worth sweet FA :confused:

I went the cheap route. This is probably your best bang for your buck if you have some basic fab skills.

I modified the existing airbox to a 4 inch input and 4/3.5" output.
I purchased a short length of 4" exhaust tubing for the input and 3.5 exhaust tubing for most of the output. The output of the lid is 4" and transitions to 3.5 in the middle of the radius. 3.5" is the maximum size you can use and still close the hood. I pie cut the 4 and 3.5 to get the tightest radius possible.

Add 3.5 inch silicon 90 out of the lid, and 3.5 to 3 inch silicon 90 at the turbo inlet.

Power curve seems MUCH smoother and large improvement in overall power, especially in the midband.

Might not flow quite as much as a panel filter, but wager its damn close and cost basically nothing other then the paint and couple feet of exhaust tubing.
IMG_20190405_182417.jpg
IMG_20190401_210235.jpg

IMG_20190405_182455.jpg

IMG_20190406_084856.jpg

Last edited:
Great mod

Just finished reading the whole thread and was a little surprised the "cone filter" got such a bad review. Does anyone happen to know what cone filter has been tried/tested?

Reason i ask is i need to make a new airbox (trying to make room for a York 210) and was considering using an AEM Dryflow pod filter (AEM 21-2038BF). Considering the XXI airbox uses a aFe Power 30-10062 filter is ~94sq in it should flow around 550cfm. The AEM pod filter has a filter area of 138sq in and should flow around ~775-800cfm... The AEM is a dryflow meaning its not oiled and offers really good filtration but a slightly lower CFM per square inch compared to a normal K&N oiled filter. So in theory this pod filter should be big enough....

BTW will be running a Mamba TD05H-18g at ~18-20psi with a XXI W2A intercooler. Currently have a 3" snorkel but may upgrade to a 4" if needed. I don't really care about peak power, i just want as little turbo lag as possible.

Whichever way i go ill post up some pictures :)

I went the chevy airbox route, very happy with the results, turbo spool noticeably improved, although required some custom work, nothing too crazy and way more reasonable cost wise then those other options

IMG_0203.jpg

I went the chevy airbox route, very happy with the results, turbo spool noticeably improved, although required some custom work, nothing too crazy and way more reasonable cost wise then those other options

View attachment 1987891

Would you mind outlining what's involved in fitting a Chevy box? It looks natural in there.

I've purchased a late model 1FZ-FE airbox lid for cheap and plan to modify it to work with the stock airbox (weld threaded rod extension in, cut piping exiting lid, new silicon hoses/bends to turbo). No timeline on this project, but I'll try my best to do a before/after comparison.

Would you mind outlining what's involved in fitting a Chevy box? It looks natural in there.

Depends on the vehicle type, 80 series or 70 series, the fender contour differ, just have to start with fitting it and trimming as needed until it sits in the right place. I then used fiberglass to fill in the holes. What is good about the box is its overall dimensions are right and inlet/outlet are in the right locations. I then used weatherstripping to make a tight seal against the fender side. The box can be found on ebay for around $70, so its at least worth a shot. Here are some photos of the trimmed box, before i fiberglassed the cut out area. You can see the tube to my snorkel, I cut that and routed it straight into the box, with a metal tunnel, didn't get any pictures of that piece.

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

I'm looking to do similar, I've bought a spare airbox to work on, how did you attach the 3.5 bend inside the lid? Did you cut the original center right out of the lid or leave some of it there to strengthen the joint? It's bloody thin steel! Got any pics of the lid underside? Any problem with sealing against the top id of the filter element by losing the center stud? Cheers

I know lots of you guys have requested an air box for the 1HD, and we have finally wrapped up brackets for the 60 and 80 series cruisers. Here are some shots of the box, and you can purchase here: Air Box Kit » Torfab » The NW destination for Land Cruisers parts and service, including complete one-off custom built Cruisers, maintenance, suspension, and expedition builds

View attachment 2086037

View attachment 2086040

Does this draw from the fender like stock, and can it be used with existing snorkel options?

Great to have an off-the-shelf option available without having to pay shipping from Australia!

@Lumpskie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom