The "Official" 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Airbox/Intake Mod Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There seems to be a trend for these "Official" threads.

Anyway since we have "Gturbo", "Intercooler", "Intake Manifold" and "Pump Mod" threads pertaining to high output 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Cruisers I figured this may be another thing to archive, brainstorm share data.

At the higher boost levels that the Gturbo's are tending to run there seems to be intake restrictions. This can be both caused from:

1) Snorkel (if there is one)
2) Factory Airbox

Airbox Mods:

Graeme or TheBigBoy's (unsure) custom airbox creation
Airbox.jpg

Legend80's set up
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/699199-air-box-mod-1hdt.html

P2131691_zps8ead85e1.jpg

Guzzla's Custom Airboxes & 4" Stainless Snorkel
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/713254-diy-custom-intake-airbox-snorkel.html

Airbox.jpg

Custom Snorkels

Fatz Fab seems to build some nice ones
http://www.fatzfab.cqoz.com/services/snorkel/snorkels.html

Z()LTAN's 75 comp truck as most have seen it runs a 4" snorkel.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/143839-operation-soa-75-a.html

Lshobie on the forum runs a 4" stainless snorkel because apparently the safari snorkel (at least the older ones) are only rated to 10lbs boost.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJRmMQr-3e8

Guzzla's Snorkel
img_3510.jpg

58Bernies's Snorkel
IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

Another Custom Airbox and Snorkel
http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/showthread.php?97392-Landcruiser-fans-1HDT-GT30-etc
IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

Before everyone runs out and buys 4" snorkels. Buy them because you like the look of them.

There is no difference between and AIRTEC/SAFARI/4" snorkel. Infact the backwards facing 4" snorkels are worse than a AIRTEC/SAFARI as the backwards facing causes drag at speed. The 4" centre entry to the airbox is the exact same as the 3" (angled). Hole opening size is the same, but the angled enduces a vortex (low pressure swirl). The stock airbox with no filter is twice as restrictive than with a filter installed. Paper filters flow more than the oil elements. Airbox with lid cracked is only a slight improvement over standard. If your currently running a pod/pod in a box. Remove it and put the stock set up back on :).

= The airbox is the number 1 restriction. And a well designed box makes a HUGE difference both down low and up high.

ok so i thought i would put some pics up here of the snorkel and air box mod

start here with the template and use plenty of masking tape. i also went to officve works and got a copy of the template just in case.

P2111689_zpsaf631d58.jpg

i used a dremel to cut out the hole for the snorkel as i felt i would have more control then with an angle grinder. i used a 2" biscut sander to smooth the edges down. anyone who fits one of these i would suggest cutting out the bit that sits behind the indicator smaller than the template.

P2151698_zps1cbf83d1.jpg

also put some masking tape on the a pillar where the mounting point is so you don't scratch the paint from test fitting.

P2151700_zpsf8d2ef2d.jpg

to get the snorkel through the inner guard i had to remove a bit of the inner guard and the bit of left over pinch weld i put on the bottom of the inner guard

P2151699_zps83f499ad.jpg

finished result

P2151702_zpsc15225c3.jpg

P2151703_zps8815c91e.jpg

P2151704_zpsf40bd0ea.jpg

P2151705_zps1b70dbd5.jpg

P2151706_zps07793466.jpg

And my intake plenum

ok so this is what i ended up coming up with. still a couple of things to do on it but it is all together.
P2061680_zps3a8ce10d.jpg

P2061679_zps8600940d.jpg

P2061678_zps8297f61a.jpg

But I will now be going to a w2a setup and this will not be used and may come up for sale.

Subscribed! Thanks for starting the thread Foreal, looking forward to seeing more info on that xxi air filter box.

Legend 80 i am interested in that intake manifold you made up for my ute, p.m. me with a price if you decide to sell, I even have a spare stock intake manifold to throw in as well, came off a 1hz, they are the same yes?

Sending wagon I.P. away to diesel central in a fortnight for their 280hp rebuild so the mod list is slowly getting done, (is a work of art ever finished?) then onto the intake and intercooler to keep that greedy bad boy 2 fed.

Hey bigboy if you are reading, is the drag from the rear facing inlet of the snorkel caused by turbulence? This was the style I was looking at fitting but may have to change now if it causes a significant power loss. Go easy on the techo jargon as I am no expert on fluid dynamics :doh:

At 100kph the air has to slow, do a 180 degree turn, try to negotiate the restriction and turbulance caused by the sqaure lip and enter the snorkle. Facing backwards is good for mud and water (low speed). But terrible for power when in that possition.

The other problem is water. It will rain and pour straight in there. With a angled ram head (with internal water diverting). It wont see water hardly at all.

Last edited:
That makes perfect sense, the intake scoop looks like it came off a semi, should be easy to find in my area, will go down that path thanks bigboy

That makes perfect sense, the intake scoop looks like it came off a semi, should be easy to find in my area, will go down that path thanks bigboy

Have to agree TBB as that is exactly what I went that way with a forward facing ram head, just makes common sense, I can always turn it backward if needed, like the any other plastic snorkel/ram head.
Not so much a semi but I did but it from Truck Line, should be standard size on smaller trucks. Any truck equipment supplier should get you one anyway.

exist a tech data about Safari snorkel restriction ( our models ) ..? if there is any .. ( keeping in mind our engine needs at this point )

Safari and airtec snorkels are perfectly fine and have been tested upto 30psi. It's the factory airbox that's the problem.

Safari and airtec snorkels are perfectly fine and have been tested upto 30psi. It's the factory airbox that's the problem.

Yeah I am curious about this.
Lshobie on the forum with his hzj79 was having collapse issues with his safari snorkel. I think it was the rubber piece that connected the airbox to the snorkel.

Hulsty measures to check if there was any vac pressure or something on his bj74 boosting 25lbs. Didn't pose any issues for his testing.

I know my 10"pre cleaner with the 3" attachment to my snorkel is rated to 450 cfm. I ran a few weeks with and without it and I found no difference at least from what I could tell by driving and turbo response time.

How would you go about testing this.

At 100kph the air has to slow, do a 180 degree turn, try to negotiate the restriction and turbulance caused by the sqaure lip and enter the snorkle. Facing backwards is good for mud and water (low speed). But terrible for power when in that possition.

The other problem is water. It will rain and pour straight in there. With a angled ram head (with internal water diverting). It wont see water hardly at all.

The air density gain/loss (and resulting power gain/loss) from ram-air at legal speeds is negligible. If you can do 300km/h then it's worth facing it forwards.
The air required by an engine this size even at 100km/h is far in excess of the air speed entering the pipe. Meaning even when facing forward, it still has to suck.

Otherwise, facing forwards just catches insects, leaves and junk.

Its all been thoroughly tested.

Using a manometer to messure depressions either side of the air filter.
Results.

The stock filter light is set upto 0.5psi depression (triggers the dash filter light, set limit by toyota)
Perfect and no restriction is 0.000 psi depression

All testing 23-26psi @ 3000rpm
Stock airbox and paper filter... 0.71 psi depression
Cracking the lid of the stock airbox... 0.65 psi depression
No filter installed in the stock airbox... 1.43psi depression
4" centre entry to stock airbox... 0.77 psi depression (The same as a 4" snorkel)
Backward facing ram head (at 100kph)... 0.86 psi depression
Oil element filter in stock box... 0.81 psi depression (New filter, worse than stock paper for flow)

XXi Airbox installed... 0.092
Airtec snorkel... 0.092
Safari snorkel... 0.091

Stock... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d5yla_PtME

XXi airbox stalled (only mod)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjd1SewojJ8

To show Airtec snorkel... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLofJn6c3w0

So you can see its 100% the airbox itself. And no, a pod wont come anywhere near the custom airbox.

Sorry for the bad pictures, it was only suppossed to be for testing and not show. But you can see the boost increased by 3psi. It rev's soooo hard off the line, boosts effortlessly, rpm flies through the gauge. Throttle response is nuts. And this was on my truck thats untuned 35:1 afr's currently.

The same box was modified to fit Bernie's truck (tuned). And what a difference it made... Turbo spool went from 15-1600rpm to spooling from idle. Huge increase in power both off the line and uptop. Its totally transformed it.

The air density gain/loss (and resulting power gain/loss) from ram-air at legal speeds is negligible. If you can do 300km/h then it's worth facing it forwards.
The air required by an engine this size even at 100km/h is far in excess of the air speed entering the pipe. Meaning even when facing forward, it still has to suck.

Otherwise, facing forwards just catches insects, leaves and junk.

Want a bet :). I measured it. And it is noticable even without any gauges. Id face it backwards for water and mud. But for performance at 100kph. Faceing it forward makes a difference alright.

Want a bet :). I measured it. And it is noticable even without any gauges. Id face it backwards for water and mud. But for performance at 100kph. Faceing it forward makes a difference alright.

Max stagnation pressure at 100km/h.
P = 1/2 density * velcoity^2.
P = 1/2 * 1.2 * 27.77^2
P = 462 Pa.

462Pa is just less than 0.5% of atmospheric pressure. What were your results?
There isn't a butt dyno in the world that can accurately measure 0.5%.

But, you also can't get to the max stagnation pressure, because you're sucking air through that tube. You need an intake the size of a trash can to even get close.

Post #15

Backwards facing is noticable in throttle response at 100kph (butt dyno). Backed up by the manometer readings.

Post #15

Backwards facing is noticable in throttle response at 100kph (butt dyno). Backed up by the manometer readings.

All I'm seeing there is 0.86psi total depression and no forward facing measurement to compare against.

Ill have to check my notes to see if its the 0.71 or the 0.77 psi depression to compare against.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom