The "Official" 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Airbox/Intake Mod Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you don’t have a snorkel then pull out the piece inside the fender to get more air flow. Looks great, exactly what I did.

Amazon product ASIN B07CT821B1
You can also install one of these between turbo and filter housing and you can check highest vacuum any time

This doo-dad suggests my intake restriction is way too high even for a quick rip around the block! 1FZ airbox lid mod is it the works.

This doo-dad suggests my intake restriction is way too high even for a quick rip around the block! 1FZ airbox lid mod is it the works.
Just fitted to my diesel 1HDFTE. Went into the red zone straight away. Changed the air filter and at 50% of the yellow zone. Are there different models for different engines and modifications. I am at 35+ psi with my GTurbo red wheel and other tweaks. Hungry for air.

So I did some data collection yesterday on my stock intake, it's definitely a restriction. Truck is a '93 1HD-T, stock airbox, lid, and S-tube other than a larger silicon 90 where it connects to the turbo inlet, Gturbo Grunter green wheel, stock dump pipe, 3" exhaust.

Freshly reset:
IMG_5233[1].JPG

10psi max
IMG_5234[1].JPG

15psi max
IMG_5235[1].JPG

18psi max
IMG_5236[1].JPG

20psi max
IMG_5237[1].JPG

I have my MBC set to hit 20-22psi, so it's definitely starving for air at the higher boost levels.

I need to get a pipe made up for the 1FZ airbox lid, I'm hoping to get that complete and on the truck for some more testing before the snow flies.

Curious what the data will be with the 1FZ lid. I didn't get a chance to capture any data with mine but would have been good to have a baseline.

4415D052-D1FC-4B85-B1A5-841A0F570B72.jpeg

thought I would share my airbox, it’s a volant system meant for a JK jeep. 3.5” to 3” 45 degree elbow then just a 90 degree 3” elbow to the turbo. Lines up with the hole in the fender, has an additional inlet (not sure what for, Jeep thing) I had to cut off and block. Runs great with it!

Has anyone tried the new safari snorkels? Apparently the SS82HF now has a larger body and larger snorkel head, which apparently should flow a little better... It still has the same outlet size, but may flow better due to the fatter body resulting in a less tight angle...

Has anyone tried the new safari snorkels? Apparently the SS82HF now has a larger body and larger snorkel head, which apparently should flow a little better... It still has the same outlet size, but may flow better due to the fatter body resulting in a less tight angle...
I have one on mine, but have not had the older style one on to compare. They do make a larger one again for newer cars called safari airmax, but don't make them for the 80. Could you email them and ask for a CFM comparison between the 2?

I spoke with their engineer this morning, he couldn’t give any specific flow numbers, just said the neck and ram head are larger, and the main body is a bit thicker which should help with airflow...

just this is the 3rd version in the last few years, so just wondering how much better it is over the stock one everyone keeps claiming is terrible...

I just looked thru my paperwork and mine is the SS81HF, I just spoke to the safari engineer here in aust and he says the SS81HF and SS82HF are virtually the same, the only difference is the 82 version has 1 extra mounting bolt thru the guard. The very old safari is smaller and square looking, you dont want that one.

@IanB Were you able to get around to doing the 1FZ lid?

I did, right before I parked it for the winter, lol. Initial thoughts were it seems to have picked up a bit in mid-range and top-end power, but I have not installed the restriction gauge to confirm any improvements.

I noticed similar results, curious to find your results. I should have results soon at 10 PSI on a stock turbo and 18 PSI on a Grunter.

I have the new SS82 model. It is bigger externally compared to the 81 however internally I couldn't say for sure without cutting it open. It certainly looks better that is for sure. Kind of half way between a regular safari and an armax safari.

The snorkel outlet to the airbox is 3" or so which really should be more than enough for 95% of users.

4" snorkels are overrated unless you are running big boost AND you have a proper 4" intake into the turbo. Years and years ago on my old TD42 patrol which ran 25psi through a high flowed td05 I upgraded from a 3" inlet safari to a 4" stainless steel snorkel thinking it would improve something... it did absolutely nothing at all. We took the airbox off completely and it made if I recall 1 or 2 more kw.

Most people running CT26 high flows / variants of CT26s which still use a turbo intake of less than 4" aren't going to get any benefit from a bigger snorkel unless the internals of the snorkel choke down to less than 3".

Here is one we have built for an FT in a 45-series pickup.

9F9D24D2-ACFE-4543-8DE1-8DBB96E6CB92.jpeg
281EB7A9-CF99-452B-82E2-0BA974F23EDC.jpeg
F6555B78-97CA-46CC-B6CC-1B3059A495B6.jpeg
AF11277F-0B24-495F-9469-D3ED8920B604.jpeg
F04997DB-5AC0-4848-9B2A-D1D9FD472114.jpeg

Working with a Moonlight air box right now on an 80 with a FTE, not very happy with how it fits. They really only set it up to work with an accordion hose.

Cheers

Very nicely done, can I ask how you’re planning on holding the airbox together? Is it just going to be clips around the outside or...? Would also love to see some more pics of that build if possible...

Very nicely done, can I ask how you’re planning on holding the airbox together? Is it just going to be clips around the outside or...? Would also love to see some more pics of that build if possible...

We will use some hold down clamps, just got them in today. We had some already but decided they were to small so sized them up. The filter by the way is a 200-series. The box, filter and plumbing should pull plenty of air, we went 4” all the way to the turbo.

Build thread on the pickup is over here, it’s a massive build. We are getting far along though now.

Cheers

Good Lord that’s a work of art @SNLC. Intake and intercooler are gorgeous as well. Amazing build.

It does however make me feel very much better about beating the hell out of my ugly duckling air box build. :hillbilly: Haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom