The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I actually already have the OEM trans cooler, we never removed it from the LX when Jason swapped the 1HD-T in. My hopes were to fit this IC in front of the oem trans cooler.

The OEM trans cooler works great, but it's kind out right in the middle of the space you're working with when it comes time to fit an IC. The only way you'll be able to keep it is to make new brackets to move it forward or back in that space so an IC fits as well. Might not be worth the effort?

@J2P do you have a link for the Australian intake manifold adapter? In your pic
The OEM trans cooler works great, but it's kind out right in the middle of the space you're working with when it comes time to fit an IC. The only way you'll be able to keep it is to make new brackets to move it forward or back in that space so an IC fits as well. Might not be worth the effort?
Mine sat flat on passenger side against radiator and when I installed my IC it fit between the rad and IC. The stock brackets are just hangers made from long flat bar. Only reason I removed it was to run a remote tranny cooler.

Mine sat flat on passenger side against radiator and when I installed my IC it fit between the rad and IC. The stock brackets are just hangers made from long flat bar. Only reason I removed it was to run a remote tranny cooler.

Well, that's pretty promising! Thanks!

I just finished my front mounted intercooler after upgrading to a Gturbo. Following their lead, I bought a large ebay intercooler with 2.5" inlet/outlet. Piping was also bought on ebay as a general kit with t-clamps and silicone connectors. The intake adaptor was from Australian ebay and the airbox is a stock Duramax box with 6" fender feed and a 4" elbow that reduces to a 2.5" turbo inlet. It is holding 25 psi with no issues but I'm still testing. I followed the same plumbing as the new Safari coolers, through the rad support. It makes the path short and simple. Now I am going to remove the factory tranny cooler and installing a Derale 15960 under the cab inside the frame. Jason at Cruisin Offroad is building a mount so we can angle it up and out of harms way.View attachment 1897551View attachment 1897552View attachment 1897553
Are you still happy with this intercooler? I’m thinking about ordering the same kit but the cheap price scares me. Was the temp drop noticeable? Intercooler feels sturdy enough? Thank you for posting links, I’ve already ordered the throttle adapter.

Are you still happy with this intercooler? I’m thinking about ordering the same kit but the cheap price scares me. Was the temp drop noticeable? Intercooler feels sturdy enough? Thank you for posting links, I’ve already ordered the throttle adapter.
My temps stay bellow 800F majority of the time even on steep inclines. The quality in my opinion is very good and I would use the same kit again. I think the biggest benefit is how it sits square in the grille and allows me to run short pipes in and out.

My temps stay bellow 800F majority of the time even on steep inclines. The quality in my opinion is very good and I would use the same kit again. I think the biggest benefit is how it sits square in the grille and allows me to run short pipes in and out.
Cool, thanks! I’m gonna try it.

Well, this is excellent timing! @toyota guy mine just showed up today. It feels as sturdy as any other IC I've held (though that is not a lot...) and seems really good quality for the price.

@J2P do you have any details on how you made brackets to hold the IC core itself?

15584773689192092744003.jpg

1558477402860537547511.jpg

15584774415981365404702.jpg

Cool! Nice and simple, I can handle that. Did you attach on the bottom too? And any concern with that hood latch vertical cross member piece not being in there? Or is it behind the core?

Cool! Nice and simple, I can handle that. Did you attach on the bottom too? And any concern with that hood latch vertical cross member piece not being in there? Or is it behind the core?
No the hood latch vertical piece was removed but it made no difference. I only used the top mounts and it’s stiff enough.

Here is a photo of my mounts bought at a hardware store and cut down.

View attachment 1983057

Wow! With just a slightly smaller size, it looks like the fitment on yours was much easier than my PDI. That looks like a almost the perfect size for our rigs. You can see how my horns needed to be relocated in mine and everything was such a tight squeeze. I still need to grind a little out of my front grill and I am going to 3D print new shallow turn signal housings to finish my install out... whenever I get time. That being said, I am totally happy with power and EGTs now. I'm passing everyone going into the mountains now!

vNWt19Wh.jpg

Reactions: J2P
I ended up ordering a tube and fin FMIC core. $150AUD to my door (in Aus)

600x300x75 core, 3" in/out

Brand is "maxpeedingrods"

Cheeky buggers dropped the price since I bought one
Front Mount Intercooler 600x300x76mm tube & fin 3.0 inch In/outlet 76mm 6971362688486 | eBay

Very happy with the quality. Welds are consistent and neat, internally very nicely put together, end tanks are a good shape. I would have preferred 2.5" inlet/outlet, but hey, it's ticked a lot of boxes.

It has a fairly open core design (good for low laminar flow restriction)
Has turbulator fins in the cores to increase surface area in the core to shed heat better

Mud.
Have you finished fitting this yet?
What piping kit did you end up with?
Does yours still have the factory battery trays?

I'm looking at doing the same I'm also in Aus so would be good to have links for Ebay Austalian stock.

Thanks

Neil

got my intercooler and started the install, decided to order a few silicone 180° fittings, i wish i had seen this website before i started so i wanted to post it for others... i think the 180° bends will help when running the piping behind the headlights in that tight area. If i had seen this i would have done the entire system in silicone. The piping and intercooler from the kit is pretty nice too though.

80 series people using universal ebay intercooler pipe kits were you able to keep the factory radiator over flow tank and factory battery trays?
Can people please post a link on what kit they used?
Did you have to buy extra piping?

Thanks

80 series people using universal ebay intercooler pipe kits were you able to keep the factory radiator over flow tank and factory battery trays?
Can people please post a link on what kit they used?
Did you have to buy extra piping?

Thanks
It’s all posted a few pages back. Yes you retain factory battery trays and rad overflow. The pipping goes under the battery trays and I did buy an extra pipping kit but some just buy extra silicone couplers. I wanted to run as much hard pipe as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom