The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

J2P
Install looks good.
Which intercooler pipe kit did you use?
Thanks

This is my routing and install using only silicone as couplers because I don’t know how to weld. It was a bit of a challenge trying to figure out with prebent pieces but much cheaper then a full intercooler kit or having someone weld it up for me.

This is a typical kit with t-clamps and silicone couplers.

Bellow are photos from HPD for routing through the core support. This is what I did as it made the install clean and efficient. My piping was much bigger relative to theirs.

Last edited:
This is my routing and install using only silicone as couplers because I don’t know how to weld. It was a bit of a challenge trying to figure out with prebent pieces but much cheaper then a full intercooler kit or having someone weld it up for me.View attachment 1905248

View attachment 1905242
This is a typical kit with t-clamps and silicone couplers.

Bellow are photos from HPD for routing through the core support. This is what I did as it made the install clean and efficient. My piping was much bigger relative to theirs.
View attachment 1905243View attachment 1905244View attachment 1905245
Thank you. That helps a lot.

I'm following in the footsteps of @SeaJay @slosh @Glenn-BJ74 . I ordered a PDI intercooler with the integrated transmission cooler.

Would you guys mind giving me an update on your PDI experience? Going from non intercooled to the PDI... any ideas on how much EGT reduction I can expect? Do any of you have pictures of the brake line rotation that I read about? I'm excited but I won't dig into this until the snow melts... probably a month or so.

Thanks for the info!

I'm following in the footsteps of @SeaJay @slosh @Glenn-BJ74 . I ordered a PDI intercooler with the integrated transmission cooler.

Would you guys mind giving me an update on your PDI experience? Going from non intercooled to the PDI... any ideas on how much EGT reduction I can expect? Do any of you have pictures of the brake line rotation that I read about? I'm excited but I won't dig into this until the snow melts... probably a month or so.

Thanks for the info!

I went from a top mount to the PDI front mount, it dropped the EGT by at least 100c in similar conditions (top mount vs front) also eliminated having the electric fan and problems with that. 'brake line rotation' … nice way of saying 'bend' also you will be bending the AC pipe. The AC from memory was the harder one, if your able get the AC pipe from an early model that has the receiver drier fitted next to the battery and use that. Having said that I was able to do mine over a few days using the existing AC pipe, its a bit of a task, but well worth the effort

Unfortunately no pics but I installed a liquid cooled IC with recirc pump and much smaller fan-cooled liquid exchanger in the front. The purpose was to offset a loss of highway power which was actually due to a bent piston rod. Compared to the air-cooled variety it only involves installing a couple of 3/4" glycol hoses in the engine compartment.

Performance improvements however were negligible and mostly not needed in Canada so it was torn out when I had to replace the head recently. Anybody wants it let me know. Fits '91 1HD-T...

Thanks for the info!

I had an early (1990) and but did have to undo the brake line bracket. But it was not as bad as it may seem. You have to loosen the clamp and bend the bracket more than the lines themselves. There is no exact science to that proces but more or less eye ballin' it.

It took me 2 days to install it because of s***ty NW rain.

That being said, my obstacles were:
  1. Moving the factory winch solenoid and getting the pipes to go that way.
  2. I had to remove the top radiator hose so have some coolant handy.
  3. Instructions were ok but straight forward.
  4. Position where you drill the holes plays a major part in pipe fitment.
  5. I purchased the trans cooler as well. This posed an issue with the hood latches and horns. Had to make some modifications to the hood latch. Thus leading to issues closing the hood, as it interfered with the piping on the intake side.
I powdercoated mine and they got scratched up. But it still looks ok.

No ideas about EGTs because I installed EGT gauge at the same time. Currently egts run at 500-600F at 2000 RPM post turbo.

On a steep incline (3-4 miles going up to 2400 feet above sea level) cruising in 3rd gear EGTs sit betweek 750-800. But if I leave it in D it has hit 900F.

I had an early (1990) and but did have to undo the brake line bracket. But it was not as bad as it may seem. You have to loosen the clamp and bend the bracket more than the lines themselves. There is no exact science to that proces but more or less eye ballin' it.

It took me 2 days to install it because of s***ty NW rain.

That being said, my obstacles were:
  1. Moving the factory winch solenoid and getting the pipes to go that way.
  2. I had to remove the top radiator hose so have some coolant handy.
  3. Instructions were ok but straight forward.
  4. Position where you drill the holes plays a major part in pipe fitment.
  5. I purchased the trans cooler as well. This posed an issue with the hood latches and horns. Had to make some modifications to the hood latch. Thus leading to issues closing the hood, as it interfered with the piping on the intake side.
I powdercoated mine and they got scratched up. But it still looks ok.

No ideas about EGTs because I installed EGT gauge at the same time. Currently egts run at 500-600F at 2000 RPM post turbo.

On a steep incline (3-4 miles going up to 2400 feet above sea level) cruising in 3rd gear EGTs sit betweek 750-800. But if I leave it in D it has hit 900F.

Wow, your hill EGTs are like my typical EGTs.

Wow, your hill EGTs are like my typical EGTs.

@Lumpskie, My EGT is post turbo so I'd say add about 200F to it(?).

Also should mention I don't have the fuel turned up (at least to my knowledge) but I do have boost almost at max around 0.9 ATM which is about 13.2 PSI

@Lumpskie, My EGT is post turbo so I'd say add about 200F to it(?).

Also should mention I don't have the fuel turned up (at least to my knowledge) but I do have boost almost at max around 0.9 ATM which is about 13.2 PSI

Oh, thanks for pointing that out.

HI,

Just purchased a need heat exchanger for my A2W intercooler with fans and it does have a place were I can fit a thermo switch, so I'm wondering at which temperature interval should it work?
I believe that usual ones for engines have a working temperature to high for this application.

Thanks

Cheers

I got my PDI intercooler! ...and some couplings got lost from my kit in customs. PDI has replacements on the way.

Skkm019h.jpg

tTxkTa5h.jpg

HI,

Just purchased a need heat exchanger for my A2W intercooler with fans and it does have a place were I can fit a thermo switch, so I'm wondering at which temperature interval should it work?
I believe that usual ones for engines have a working temperature to high for this application.

Thanks

Cheers
Hi,

Regarding my last post, I found some adjustable fan controllers from Derale and Proform but both don't have the best feedback, mainly the Derale ones that have a very high fail percentage. Proform aren't great either.

What similar products do you suggest? I think I forgot to mention my application is dual fan.

Cheers

I've used enough adjustable thermo switches (all failed) that I'd never trust one again. I might be tempted to use one only to test and find out best working temps. Then I'd go with a regular on at X temp off at X temp switch. Electric fan systems in general have too many weaknesses to introduce more links in the chain.

Thanks for the input!

And what would be the values for the Xs? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom