The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I emailed PDI to see how much it would be for their radiator and adapter alone. Their style is the way I'm going to go, just trying to see if i can do it for less than the $1700 their kit would cost me. If i can't, then i guess i'll be reaching a little deeper into my pocket.

If they don't see those parts, anyone know a source for a similar adapter?
I'm fine with an inexpensive ebay radiator, but if there is a significant performance difference, does anyone have a recommendation for a higher quality radiator that can be found in the 550-600x300x76 size?

Thank you @mudgudgeon, but for some reason both links just take me to the ebay home page. I'll try copy/past on your titles

Ok, found it. That would be perfect.

You previously mentioned low quality of the ebay front mount intercoolers. Where is a good place to source one with better perfomance?

I think you can find decent stuff on eBay, but you need to sort through the turds to find it.

Look for plenty of clear pics. Pics of the core inside, neat welds, end tanks that aren't too narrow at the end

A 600*300*75 core is going to have huge cooling capacity. I don't think the difference between a decent eBay core and a known brand is likely to be huge. I think it's definitely something where double the dollars isn't going to get you anywhere near twice the performance.

I quite like this one, but it's painted.

New Front Mount Intercooler Tube & Fin Design 600*300*76mm 3.0inch In/outlet | eBay

The core in this is quite open vs the typical WWWWW style internal fin layout. This means its less restrictive due to less surface tension/friction, and less pressure drop across the core. Intake air will pass through the core more quickly/more easily.
s-l400.jpg

It has little turbulator fins inside the core to keep a good internal surface area, so it should dissipate heat well.

Being painted reduces the efficiency of heat exchange from the core to external air

If this was available unpainted and with 2.5" in/outlets, I'd be on it like stoopid on Trump

Last edited:
The Alibaba one looks pretty good, but can't see any pics of the inside of the core. What was the price on a single item? I can't see a price.

The Amazon one has a pic of the core, and fins look a bit bent out of shape, bit of a red flag to my mind. If that's what they are using to sell the product, is that what you can expect to receive?

Price for the alibaba one was $200 for a single unit. Price goes down with volume of course

I've been running this one for about three years now and haven't had any issues. CX Racing link:

Universal Bar&Plate FMIC Intercooler 25x12x3

Lol, and here i thought you were looking for one currently. So what about the one you posted above and said if it were unpainted and 2.5" in/out is better than what you currently have?

EDIT: Nevermind, this is bar and plate and you're wanting to go fin and tube
EDIT#2: Well, i should also have noticed that the post wasnt from mudgeon

Thanks for the feedback @MonsterCruiser

Last edited:
So is the largest that will fit without modification 600x300 core with 780mm longest dimension or 600mm longest dimension?

I ended up ordering a tube and fin FMIC core. $150AUD to my door (in Aus)

600x300x75 core, 3" in/out

Brand is "maxpeedingrods"

Cheeky buggers dropped the price since I bought one
Front Mount Intercooler 600x300x76mm tube & fin 3.0 inch In/outlet 76mm 6971362688486 | eBay

Very happy with the quality. Welds are consistent and neat, internally very nicely put together, end tanks are a good shape. I would have preferred 2.5" inlet/outlet, but hey, it's ticked a lot of boxes.

It has a fairly open core design (good for low laminar flow restriction)
Has turbulator fins in the cores to increase surface area in the core to shed heat better

IMG_20180410_174715.jpg

IMG_20180410_174721.jpg

IMG_20180410_174738.jpg

Last edited:
I ended up ordering a tube and fin FMIC core
Hey mudgudgeon, any reason for tube and fin, over bar and plate? I read that PDI use bar and plate for its durability, is there any truth in that or just some marketing hype from PDI? I’m a bit of a numpty when in comes to intercooler cores and it sounds like you have a bit of knowledge on them.

As for the FMIC that you purchased, who was the eBay seller?

Cheers

Hey mudgudgeon, any reason for tube and fin, over bar and plate?

From my reading about this stuff from way back, I think tube and fin is more efficient.
But, I'm not sure there's a lot in that.
Bar and plate was less common 10 years ago. It seems to be the popular way to go. I don't know if that's because of marketing, durability, ease of manufacture, or performance, or if it's just because tube and fin doesn't quite have the right fast and furious rice burner look.

Here's a few semi-random pics from the web

2015-10-14_04-47-43.gif

This drawing suggests air flow through the front of the core is smoother with tube and fin vs bar and plate.
Mine has nicely rounded leading edges on the tubes.

chargesidecomaro.jpg

Bar and plate top, tube and fin bottom.

Bar and plate literally is made up of bars to close off the edges of each section of the core (clearly visible above) and "plates" being the finned sections made up of the folded fins sandwiched between two plates.

Tube and fin use extruded tubes, the fins are a part of the tube.

intercooler_incomp.jpg

Bar and plate left vs tube and fin right

Tube and fin has wider galleries between the fins, less fins. This means less surface tension, less friction for the air passing through. It's less restrictive.
Trade off is there's less surface area inside, so questionably less heat transfer from charge air, to cooling air. But I think this is not clear cut.

intercooler_fincomp.jpg

Front view, tube and fin to, vs bar and plate bottom.

Bar and plate has wide flat plates in between charge air galleries. Less efficient cooling air flow through the core.
If you're worried about an intercooler blocking airflow to your AC condenser, and radiator core, bar and plate may not be the best choice.

As far as durability, I think cheap tube and fin cores had a bit of a reputation the past for tubes splitting, some tube and fin cores have a narrow, tapered leading edge on the tubes for better air flow across the core. This could possibly be more vulnerable to cracking?
Bar and plate has more components, so more potential for leaks in welded seems.
Looking at the construction of bar and plate above, it would be more resistant to impact from stones, or abrasion from dust in an off-road racing scenario.

As far as efficiency, every commercial HVAC, or refrigeration core I've ever taken any notice of uses tube and fin construction. If bar and plate was more efficient, it would be in use for commercial stuff. Commercial HVAC energy use is huge. If there was even a small energy efficiency gain available by using a bar and plate core, big business would be on it.

Everything is a trade off. To my thinking, tube and fin has a more open, less restrictive charge air flow through the core. Air dwells less time in the core, maybe less heat transfer, but fins are an integral part of the tube, so better heat transfer. Turbulators (little fins in the tube) help with heat transfer, but cause less surface tension vs complete fins.
Tube and fin provides smoother, more efficient flow of cooling air across the core, so this gives better transfer of heat out of the tubes.
There's loads of variables, so I think it's hard to compare apples with apples.

I think realistically, with the size of the core I'm using, either construction type is going to provide far more cooling capacity than I'm going to need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom