Builds The Oddball 80 - Middle East GX Renovation (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All done. 5 hours to do a 2 hour job thanks to me not having the correct tools for the job. The ribs were good though….

I’m sitting at 2* positive caster now though. That’s good. I did not measure it before but it had to have been into the negatives the way it was darting around.

The 2.5” correction bushings are rubber not poly as are the OME so hopefully they will last a long time.

Thanks again @Ozark cruiser for ordering these when you sent me the 1” spring packers. You knew what I’d need.

C48734FB-B7F0-4D22-B5DC-C0EF4AF079AA.jpeg

A142FFCF-CD94-4D92-9AD3-BA984E77A3BC.jpeg

89758A82-E2AC-4E9D-8F8D-8445DE013FFD.jpeg

I love the color and I'm amazed at the low mileage on your beautiful truck!

All done. 5 hours to do a 2 hour job thanks to me not having the correct tools for the job. The ribs were good though….
Hole saw the rubber, cut the thin outer metal that remains with a hacksaw (or whatever) and it will basically fall out. As you saw, pressing in the new stuff is easy.

I’m sitting at 2* positive caster now though. That’s good. I did not measure it before but it had to have been into the negatives the way it was darting around.

The 2.5” correction bushings are rubber not poly as are the OME so hopefully they will last a long time.

Thanks again @Ozark cruiser for ordering these when you sent me the 1” spring packers. You knew what I’d need.

View attachment 2740183

View attachment 2740185

View attachment 2740188
😉 it’s much better when you get the castor right didn’t see the point in not sending them to you

I went to pick up my flea bitten hound from
the groomer and the AC was just not keeping up with the MS heatwave.

I went and got some DIY juice and sure enough it only had 8psi.

I’ve never really messed with this stuff but the directions say 25-50 psi is normal. I could get the can to read 25# and it’s cooling now but I can’t get it to take any more pressure. Any tips on this? If it’s leaking I’m at the bottom end of the spectrum at 25. Not sure if it will even take more.

Thoughts?

2BE5A6CA-99A2-48D0-99DA-1FA232967BB4.jpeg

561E56FD-0BBF-49A2-8F55-C417921DC111.jpeg

I went to pick up my flea bitten hound from
the groomer and the AC was just not keeping up with the MS heatwave.

I went and got some DIY juice and sure enough it only had 8psi.

I’ve never really messed with this stuff but the directions say 25-50 psi is normal. I could get the can to read 25# and it’s cooling now but I can’t get it to take any more pressure. Any tips on this? If it’s leaking I’m at the bottom end of the spectrum at 25. Not sure if it will even take more.

Thoughts?

View attachment 2744035

View attachment 2744036

Those cans are good for rejuvenating a system that has a slow leak and needs to be refreshed, otherwise they aren't much help.

I'm assuming the systems was already converted to R134a, correct?
If the AC was working, and stopped working, and only had 8PSI, you have a leak somewhere. Did it gradually stop working, or suddenly?

Best way to move forward is to charge the system with some UV dye additive and then as it leaks out again, get in there with a black light and find the leak.

AC systems are remarkably simple... I bought a good gauge set and a good vacuum pump and have saved myself tons of time/money DIY'ing my 40 and Troopy AC's.

Took more than a year to leak down. They had charged it up before I bought it so that was April/May 2020.

I’ll take it to a shop and have it charged correctly and see how long it lasts. I don’t feel up to replacing all that stuff right now.

Also I deep cleaned the oLe 3FE. This motor is truly amazing in front of the H150 with all the spaghetti gone and the 9:1 Mosley head

View attachment 2697238

Sorry if this has been covered and I missed it, but can you run regular/87 octane with the 9:1 head?

Finishing an H150F swap on my FJ80 this week and can’t wait to feel the results.

I used AC Pro in the 89 4Runner. At a year now and still cold. I watched and followed the video instructions. I recall that they were specific in that, once it lands anywhere in the green to stop.

Interested in what the shop tells you.

Took more than a year to leak down. They had charged it up before I bought it so that was April/May 2020.

I’ll take it to a shop and have it charged correctly and see how long it lasts. I don’t feel up to replacing all that stuff right now.
Replace the Schrader valves if it's a slow leak. From there sniff check the hoses.

Sorry if this has been covered and I missed it, but can you run regular/87 octane with the 9:1 head?

Finishing an H150F swap on my FJ80 this week and can’t wait to feel the results.
Yea. 87 is fine

If a shop re-charges it they should add dye to the system. Most shops will re-check for leaks using UV light and/or a Sniffer for free. We tell folks to drive it for a week or two and then bring it in. When it takes a long time to leak down often the dye residue will be washed away or else splattered everywhere. Finding fresh dye within a week or two can help identify the problem and you don't waste as much of the R134.

Taking it in Saturday for a real charge. I’ll pay attention this time. Need my Saudi truck where it can keep up with the hell that is Mississippi right now.

67459444-1F10-4C7D-B7F1-F890A08A2EB7.jpeg

Taking it in Saturday for a real charge. I’ll pay attention this time. Need my Saudi truck where it can keep up with the hell that is Mississippi right now.

View attachment 2745650
I feel for you. Tomorrow is a going to be the hottest day of the year to date in SC & I'm using the FJ60 to set up deer stands in the swamp and the mosquitoes & Deer Flies are going to be murder! I'll be hooking up the 60 to the HVAC machine to make sure it's fully charged.

I feel for you. Tomorrow is a going to be the hottest day of the year to date in SC & I'm using the FJ60 to set up deer stands in the swamp and the mosquitoes & Deer Flies are going to be murder! I'll be hooking up the 60 to the HVAC machine to make sure it's fully charged.

Even the most perfect 60 AC seems to have a hard time in the summer here.

I've been fiddling with AC on the Omani 80 for the past couple of weeks, taking apart and cleaning each of the three aircon boxes and changing the expansion valve in the condenser, and then running to the scrapyard to find a compressor when we found that the front seal was leaking on the old one. One thing I noticed is that all the green nitrile o-rings showed signs of age and wear. I've been replacing them as we go through the system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom