The Green Bean (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all! Just picked up my first 80 series. I come from a world of 60's fords (specifically mustangs but I don't discriminate) and up till recently I was daily driving (and daily wrenching..) a 1965 Mustang Fastback. She was my dream car but my fiancee and I got into a wreck in her 2012 Kia Forte and I realized how unsafe my mustang was. Made me do some reflecting on if I really wanted my future wife and kids riding around in a little tin can so that I could feel cool... The answer was yes but it wasn't the right decision and I was getting tired of paying car notes and trying to fit my life into a car that just didn't fit my lifestyle/work day to day. So I started thinking pretty hard and decided I wanted to get a car that would last me the rest of my life with care, and that if I couldn't have the freedom of the track I wanted the freedom of not needing paved roads, lol.
So long story short I sold my Fastback for a 200% profit, paid off all my debt, bought a 1997 centerlocked Landcruiser cash after seeing how kickass this community is, and have a little money in the bank.
Not a flex, the Landcruiser isn't nice enough for any flexing of any kind yet.
I bought her for a pretty good price and she seems to be mechanically solid at 275k miles even if a little dirty.. lol
Cosmetically shes an absolute heap o' :poop:

The goal is to baseline over the coming weeks and worry about the cosmetic crap when I don't have "real" problems with the truck.
What I know:
California car her whole life until recently when she was moved to Arkansas (totally rust free)
no front sway bar, doesn't bug me until I have to drive along the twisty bayou roads
OME 2.5" lift-it's old
Bilstien shocks- also old
AC cuts in and out, belt seems to be tight, no immediately visible signs of overheating
Heater does not currently work
Drivers window does not track well- I have a new regulator for it
Needs a new exhaust- one hanger is missing and it leaks
No D light
Something wrong with charcoal canister/gas cap.. Need to do more research
Interior looks like it has not been cleaned in 30 years
Passenger side window is slower than winter molasses
Small dents everywhere
Big dent on the drivers side fender.. May try and source a new one
Would love new door panels etc.. the interior is blue ;)
Gonna need a rear bumper, one with a swingout of course!
Need to refinish the ARB on the front
Wobbly side-view mirrors which I hear is typical

She had a headgasket job done by the PO around 20kish miles ago, did a compression test and the results were as follows:
  1. cylinder one: 215
  2. cylinder two: 215
  3. cylinder three: 214
  4. cylinder 4: 210
  5. cylinder 5: 212
  6. cylinder 6: 210
Clean Toyota Red coolant
New Radiator

She is centerlocked and it does work.. at least the light comes on
New Spark Plugs
Serviced front axle
New Brake pads/rotors all around

She did great on her 500 mile trip back home for the most part but I'm definitely looking forwards to making this rig a helluva lot nicer.

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong category etc, these forums confuse my monkey brain but I look forwards to y'alls company and advice as I embark on this new adventure!

Included for the low price of Free-Ninety-Nine are a few pictures of one ugly Landcruiser.. BYOB (bring your own bleach-for your eyes of course)

The image of the gauge cluster shows all guage readings when warm.

green bean.jpeg

grean bean 5.jpeg

green bean 4.jpeg

green bean3.jpeg

green bean2.jpeg

Hey y'all! Just picked up my first 80 series. I come from a world of 60's fords (specifically mustangs but I don't discriminate) and up till recently I was daily driving (and daily wrenching..) a 1965 Mustang Fastback. She was my dream car but my fiancee and I got into a wreck in her 2012 Kia Forte and I realized how unsafe my mustang was. Made me do some reflecting on if I really wanted my future wife and kids riding around in a little tin can so that I could feel cool... The answer was yes but it wasn't the right decision and I was getting tired of paying car notes and trying to fit my life into a car that just didn't fit my lifestyle/work day to day. So I started thinking pretty hard and decided I wanted to get a car that would last me the rest of my life with care, and that if I couldn't have the freedom of the track I wanted the freedom of not needing paved roads, lol.
So long story short I sold my Fastback for a 200% profit, paid off all my debt, bought a 1997 centerlocked Landcruiser cash after seeing how kickass this community is, and have a little money in the bank.
Not a flex, the Landcruiser isn't nice enough for any flexing of any kind yet.
I bought her for a pretty good price and she seems to be mechanically solid at 275k miles even if a little dirty.. lol
Cosmetically shes an absolute heap o' :poop:

The goal is to baseline over the coming weeks and worry about the cosmetic crap when I don't have "real" problems with the truck.
What I know:
California car her whole life until recently when she was moved to Arkansas (totally rust free)
no front sway bar, doesn't bug me until I have to drive along the twisty bayou roads
OME 2.5" lift-it's old
Bilstien shocks- also old
AC cuts in and out, belt seems to be tight, no immediately visible signs of overheating
Heater does not currently work
Drivers window does not track well- I have a new regulator for it
Needs a new exhaust- one hanger is missing and it leaks
No D light
Something wrong with charcoal canister/gas cap.. Need to do more research
Interior looks like it has not been cleaned in 30 years
Passenger side window is slower than winter molasses
Small dents everywhere
Big dent on the drivers side fender.. May try and source a new one
Would love new door panels etc.. the interior is blue ;)
Gonna need a rear bumper, one with a swingout of course!
Need to refinish the ARB on the front
Wobbly side-view mirrors which I hear is typical

She had a headgasket job done by the PO around 20kish miles ago, did a compression test and the results were as follows:
  1. cylinder one: 215
  2. cylinder two: 215
  3. cylinder three: 214
  4. cylinder 4: 210
  5. cylinder 5: 212
  6. cylinder 6: 210
Clean Toyota Red coolant
New Radiator

She is centerlocked and it does work.. at least the light comes on
New Spark Plugs
Serviced front axle
New Brake pads/rotors all around

She did great on her 500 mile trip back home for the most part but I'm definitely looking forwards to making this rig a helluva lot nicer.

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong category etc, these forums confuse my monkey brain but I look forwards to y'alls company and advice as I embark on this new adventure!

Included for the low price of Free-Ninety-Nine are a few pictures of one ugly Landcruiser.. BYOB (bring your own bleach-for your eyes of course)

The image of the gauge cluster shows all guage readings when warm.

View attachment 3386900

View attachment 3386901

View attachment 3386902

View attachment 3386903

View attachment 3386904
You said cosmetically it is a heap, this actually looks really good. There are worse ones out there, mine is sun kissed from the AZ sun and is faded pretty bad.

Looks like a solid starting rig, if you want to see an eye sore you should check out my rig 🤣

I am sure others on here will disagree but I am not sure an 80 series is really that "safe" when compared to any modern vehicle. My opinion is they are actually pretty good if someone hits you but not safe if you have to stop fast or roll the rig on pavement.

Goodluck and welcome 🖕🖕🖕🖕

Looks like a solid starting rig, if you want to see an eye sore you should check out my rig 🤣

I am sure others on here will disagree but I am not sure an 80 series is really that "safe" when compared to any modern vehicle. My opinion is they are actually pretty good if someone hits you but not safe if you have to stop fast or roll the rig on pavement.

Goodluck and welcome 🖕🖕🖕🖕
Safe is definitely relative, coming from cars with no airbags, drum brakes, and absolutely no crumple zones she feels like a tank to me. Definitely not as safe as my fiancee's 2016 rav4 etc, but, a definite step up considering the world I come from.

Safe is definitely relative, coming from cars with no airbags, drum brakes, and absolutely no crumple zones she feels like a tank to me. Definitely not as safe as my fiancee's 2016 rav4 etc, but, a definite step up considering the world I come from.
Just keep the 4 wheels on the pavement and give yourself plenty of stopping distance and it will be good.

Good luck with the project but nothing near ugly I see. That's an easy 7 when sober and might hit 8 or 9 after a few. Good baseline for sure.

Mine looks way worse than that and I drive it every day. Nice truck!

Did not have a lot of time today between mass & work around the house, but what little time I had was spent pulling out the center console and shifter surround to clean and see why my "pwr" button was stuck in the down position. It felt pretty gummy and the interior doesn't smell particularly lovely, thus I figured this would be a good place to start while I continue to diagnose/plan out the mechanical side of the baseline.
Found a Barbie Band-aid from 2013, a plethora of sunflower seeds, and plenty of "gunk" coating everything… It looks like the PO's spilled about 3 bottles of coke all over the center console and then left the windows down in a dust storm, lmao.
Looks like I'll be starting with an interior "refresh" :flipoff2:

IMG_5879 (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom