New fzj80 owner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Recently purchased a 1997 80 series, triple locked(not that I'll probably ever use it) .

I've noticed my knuckles gently weeping. I have a factory service manual, and read through the posts on here. Thanks for that.

I was wondering if anyone in the area of Western MA/CT would be able to mentor me through some of this labor. I'd be willing to provide them with unlimited beer, or beverage of your choice, or even compensation.

It's a bit intimidating to tackle this kind of job without ever doing something similar. Since the plan is to use it as a family car, I want it to be safe as well.

Thanks a bunch guys,
Appreciate it.

PXL_20240225_213537871.jpg

received_1434819000742762.jpeg

received_419853457091139.jpeg

Hey guys,

Recently purchased a 1997 80 series, triple locked(not that I'll probably ever use it) .

I've noticed my knuckles gently weeping. I have a factory service manual, and read through the posts on here. Thanks for that.

I was wondering if anyone in the area of Western MA/CT would be able to mentor me through some of this labor. I'd be willing to provide them with unlimited beer, or beverage of your choice, or even compensation.

It's a bit intimidating to tackle this kind of job without ever doing something similar. Since the plan is to use it as a family car, I want it to be safe as well.

Thanks a bunch guys,
Appreciate it.

View attachment 3571798

View attachment 3571801

View attachment 3571802
Yep. It's time.
I've seen (mine when I bought it) worse.
Make friends with:
1) FSM aka, factory service manual, I got a new one off ebay
2) Ottram video(s)

Cruiser outfitters has excellent kits, might as well do all the bearings and brakes. Examine carefully the flexible brake lines, and expect to replace them too. Might as well do the tie rod ends too.
I better shut up, cause I'll have you replacing everything including the reciprocating dingle arm Bushings.
Have fun, keep in mind that if an idiot like me can do it, so can you.

Thanks a bunch! I will check out the video. Hopefully done when the weather warms up. For now I'll grease them up !

It helps a lot to plan ahead (as you're doing), as mentioned above, watch a few videos (the one linked above is very good), get a hard copy if you can or download FSM from this forum, get all your tools and parts ahead of time. Expect to rebuild or replace your front brake calipers (unless you know they've been replaced since new). Also a good time to replace all four flexible brake lines (hoses) if they're original, one for each caliper, one left front the axle housing up to the body and another on the right wheel well area. You'll also have to plan to do a complete brake system flush while you're at it.

The whole job can seem daunting at first but it helps IME to mentally think of it as multiple separate jobs.

IMHO/IME it's a good time to separate the CV joints from the axle shafts (to help clean out, inspect, and repack the CV joints) but it also allows you to swap the CV joints to the axle shaft from the opposite side. This helps extend the life of your CV joints as the left tends to wear faster than the right, but also after
they're swapped side-to-side they're now running in what used to be their reverse direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom