The Great ONSC Gun Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shopping for a safe finally and looking for recommendations. Not looking for a behemoth safe that will hold 20 long guns but mainly something to keep them secure from children/nannies, etc. Internal storage for handguns, ammo, etc are all pluses.

Was looking at the SecureIt Agile Model 52. Any experience with these? Does anyone have any others that would be good to look at?
I’ve heard these are solid for what they are. They’re very efficiently laid out for keeping extra handguns, ammo, etc in the upper portion while keeping six long guns and their optics, etc protected from each other. No fireproofing for sure, but I looked at that as a pro from what I am looking for (research what fireproofing can do to your metal components you’re trying g to protect).

Shopping for a safe finally and looking for recommendations. Not looking for a behemoth safe that will hold 20 long guns but mainly something to keep them secure from children/nannies, etc. Internal storage for handguns, ammo, etc are all pluses.

Was looking at the SecureIt Agile Model 52. Any experience with these? Does anyone have any others that would be good to look at?
Check out Drake Safes. They’re made in Roxboro, NC. Extremely well made and heavy duty, but pricey. You get what you pay for.

Just another perspective.
My thought process on picking a safe.

I already owned 3 other fire proof safes of different dimensions to place other items as well as guns in them.
I like to buy smaller and more often because they are easier to move and easier to conceal in a closet or under bed, whatever.

When it came time to look for a gun safe. I did the same thing. I picked one that fit my needs. Nothing bigger. And I went with a non fire proof safe. That is much lighter. Fits all my guns and I can still lock it
Very easy to bolt down to the concrete or wood. Or to walls.

Smaller, lighter and ability to lock my guns. Those were my priorities and that worked for me.
I also moved a lot and used to deploy a lot so that is why it was important to me.
I also knew I wasn’t going to own I s*** ton of guns so there was no need to purchase a big safe that would be a pain for me to move.

by the way the only reason for the safe in the first place was when I had kids and needed to lock them up. It was not to protect against theft.

Besides, If a thieve is in my gun safe. So many other things have already gone wrong anyway.

Just another perspective.
My thought process on picking a safe.

I already owned 3 other fire proof safes of different dimensions to place other items as well as guns in them.
I like to buy smaller and more often because they are easier to move and easier to conceal in a closet or under bed, whatever.

When it came time to look for a gun safe. I did the same thing. I picked one that fit my needs. Nothing bigger. And I went with a non fire proof safe. That is much lighter. Fits all my guns and I can still lock it
Very easy to bolt down to the concrete or wood. Or to walls.

Smaller, lighter and ability to lock my guns. Those were my priorities and that worked for me.
I also moved a lot and used to deploy a lot so that is why it was important to me.
I also knew I wasn’t going to own I s*** ton of guns so there was no need to purchase a big safe that would be a pain for me to move.

by the way the only reason for the safe in the first place was when I had kids and needed to lock them up. It was not to protect against theft.

Besides, If a thieve is in my gun safe. So many other things have already gone wrong anyway.

Thanks, Del. That is the same thinking that pointed me towards the SecureIt. Essentially keeping them out of the hands of kids and others in the house, not as much a theft deterrent. The SecureIt Answer and Agile options seems decent but the downside is that I can't put a dehumidifier in them. That is one point that is making me consider a different safe as having a dehumidifier in there would be nice.

Last edited:
Yep. The safe is more for securing and locking them. First to keep them away from kids and also when we have guests or the kids have their friends over.
Very simple for me to quickly lock everything up.
Again. I am not a gun store and I don’t own a huge arsenal and never plan to. So I didn’t bother with going with something ridiculously huge and fire proof. I mean they are super cool just not practical for my needs.

Thanks, Del. That is the same thinking that pointed me towards the SecureIt. Essentially keeping them out of the hands of kids and others in the house, not as much a theft deterrent. The SecureIt Answer and Agile options seems decent but the downside is that I can't put a dehumidifier in them. That is one point that is making me consider a different safe as having a dehumidifier in there would be nice.

Why can’t you put a dehumidifier in them?

The securit agile has a fluted back for the interior attachments and is not air tight.

Gotcha…looked up a picture of it. If that‘s the safe that you really like and checks off all your other needs better than any others, I think you could probably solve the fluted back issue with some plastic sheeting and gorilla tape. Honestly though, since we’re in a pretty temperate climate, just keeping some oil on them should be fine. I take out my unused heirloom shotguns out every 12-18 months and give them a 30-sec wipe down with a lightly oiled rag. They are doing fine.

you could always throw a dehumidifier in there...it would just draw the moisture out of the room it's in too!

Gotcha…looked up a picture of it. If that‘s the safe that you really like and checks off all your other needs better than any others, I think you could probably solve the fluted back issue with some plastic sheeting and gorilla tape. Honestly though, since we’re in a pretty temperate climate, just keeping some oil on them should be fine. I take out my unused heirloom shotguns out every 12-18 months and give them a 30-sec wipe down with a lightly oiled rag. They are doing fine.
This is the way. Same for me. Quick wipe down every once in a while to put my hands on them, cycle the functions, then put them back.

The price is outrageous to me but I am cheap/frugal. The Stack-On I had years ago would fit the bill nicely for a third of the $800 price tag I see here. Even if I wrapped each long gun in a gun sock it would seem like a better value. I am obviously missing the allure of this particular brand metal lock box.

Stack On 8 gun cabinet for $144 at Tractor Supply.

The price is outrageous to me but I am cheap/frugal. The Stack-On I had years ago would fit the bill nicely for a third of the $800 price tag I see here. Even if I wrapped each long gun in a gun sock it would seem like a better value. I am obviously missing the allure of this particular brand metal lock box.

Stack On 8 gun cabinet for $144 at Tractor Supply.

I’ll check those out! I have a fair bit of ammo I’m hoping to store in it and I like the organization options for handguns that some offer.

I bought mine at tractor supply also. I even got it on sale because I bought it around Christmas many years ago.

Desiccant packs are a cheap and easy solution.

100g Rechargeable Desiccant Pack - Moisture Absorbing Bag - Desiccant Dehumidifier for Storage Bins and Totes …
https://a.co/d/9NzcWzU

I understand the need for a dehumidifier if your gun safe/cabinet is out in the garage or in the basement or something, but if it's in the main part of your house, which is air-conditioned, is that not good enough, generally?

If you live in an area where if you leave saltine crackers out on the counter and they lose their crunch, you need some sort of desiccant intervention.

If you live in an area where if you leave saltine crackers out on the counter and they lose their crunch, you need some sort of desiccant intervention.

If I leave crackers out on the counter, either a dog or a cat will eat them long before they lose their crunch. 🤣

If your guns are getting rusty

It doesn’t mean you need a dehumidifier.

It means you ain’t shooting them enough.

I had actually never heard or ever had a need for a dehumidifier.

Didn’t even know that was a thing until Chris mentioned it.

I think a lot of the "need" for dehu's actually comes from people who touch an unprotected piece of metal then put it away for a few years and then find rust on it, at least if stored indoors. A proper coat of oil would have prevented that. Happened to me once and I remember it constantly. Of course, this is solely MY thoughts on the Mid-Atlantic region based on my own experience.

I spend way more time controlling humidity for my guitars than I ever have for firearms. With a proper wipe of oil after handling and/or a proper cleaning, firearms really take care of themselves, in my experience. Most people nowadays should just count themselves lucky that they don't also have wooden grips or stocks to obsess over - can't get too dry for plastic!

Also keep in mind that a properly functioning HVAC system solves many moisture related issues. If you're comfortable, your stuff will probably be, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom