The Great ONSC Gun Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sneaky Pete OWB with an untucked shirt is about all I am up for anymore. For when I don't care if people see me carrying a "1990s BlackBerry phone in a cool leather case." I really just use it as a case for my glock, though, since I no longer have CC and don't leave the house much anyway.

The Sneaky Pete is what Heather uses. She is in and out of restaurants and other businesses on a regular basis, often with a tool bag in hand. The Sneaky Pete on her belt looks like a tool case and goes completely un noticed, Her Kimber Micro 9 fits very well. I liked her Micro nine so much I picked up one for myself. It actually feels very comfortable in my huge mitts and I can put lead where I want it to go. Hers is stainless with rosewood handles, mine is black.

Any recommendations for a good LGS in the Durham or Orange County area? Have all the guns I need (so I tell myself!) mostly looking for good service, accessories and ammo.

I've never had any service here, but know Danny is a great guy. May not be a convenient location for you though?? Drye's Gun Shop
My brother (lives in Durham) buys his guns from Mace Sports and Rock City Guns; not sure about service there.

I recently found Tar River Arms in Wake Forest. I'm seriously considering some of their laser stippling they do on site. They have a lot of examples of their work; looks outstanding.

Any recommendations for a good LGS in the Durham or Orange County area? Have all the guns I need (so I tell myself!) mostly looking for good service, accessories and ammo.

Local shops I've had good experiences with:

Liberty Guns - Hillsborough
Bull City Armory - Durham
DPC Gun & Pawn - Roxboro
Rock City Guns - Roxboro

To add to the holster argument I have been carrying daily for almost 10 years now. My current setup is a glock 19 using a TRex Arms sidecar appendix IWB. As mentioned, comfort is critical. Carrying a firearm is a lifestyle and not a "cool" thing for the kids. You may have to change your clothing choices etc. as opposed to finding a system that fits your clothes.
The 10% of the time I am wearing a tshirt I use my Springfield Armory XDS with an extended magazine using a White Hat Holsters IWB at the 4oclock position. This conceals just fine. You should also be carrying an extra magazine in case things really get ugly. (Active shooter at Wal-Mart for example).
I have seen guys shoot full sized .45s as well as someone shooting a 9mm. Shooting well doesn't care if you're a guy or a girl.
I am not a big fan of pocket carry. It is slow and more dangerous than a rigid IWB/OWB alternative. Get as rigid a belt as you can handle.

If you like IWB definitely check out White Hat Holsters. They are a Texas company that makes great gear. Also Eclipse Holsters out of Virginia.
If you want an appendix option then T-Rex Arms is the standard.

Just my two cents.

I've been eyeing the Glock 45 (9mm) with the MOS but it has been hard to find <$100 over MSRP. I'm not in a rush so I'll keep looking but found a deal on a Glock 22 (.40 S&W). Couple of questions... Anyone have experience with the conversion barrels to 9mm and/or 357 Sig? With ammo shortages, having the ability to shoot all three calibers is appealing. I've seen Storm Lake, Wheaton Arms and the Double Diamond - anyone have a recommendation?

Also, I'd like to try a RDS on it (I've REALLY liked the Romeo 5 on my Ruger MPR). Any recommendations on a 'best bang-for-the-buck' sight? Any recommendations on a place to mill the slide?

Thanks in advance!!

My experience is...for target plinking, swapping barrels only may give functionality. I would take the extra step in swapping extractors also going from 9mm to 40/357sig to ensure functionality. While many say it’s not necessary, I’ve seen firsthand hand just swapping barrels can work and, also not. As Glocks can be prone to failure to eject (aka stovepipe), user, load, recoil spring and swapping parts all can contribute to function failures.

Glock parts are cheap, easy to work on and why it was my choice shooting IPSC/USPSA matches, I never had a DNF match due to pistol failure. The extra cost to pick the proper extractor/spring loaded bearing (I’d get the depressor plunger and spring loaded bearing also, easy to lose) is minimal overall. Just my 2 cents

Holster #4 arrived today and this might be it... I've been carrying my gun around the house empty off and on for the past few weeks and still not super comfortable. An ad popped up on my social media feed so I took a chance. It arrived today and I popped it on and wore it around this afternoon. At one point, I didn't realize I had my gun on. First time yet. It's an Essential Holsters minimal style holster. I'm going to carry empty for a couple of weeks to make sure I feel 100% confident its secure. I still need a good gun belt but my normal leather belt does ok so I'm hopeful a good gun belt will be even better. I have a kydex holster that's doable but it definitely digs into me more when seated than this. The Urban Carry lock-leather I got is a definite no-go; not sure why but it is VERY uncomfortable when seated. Hopefully just another few weeks until my permit arrives 🤞

P365_R_RightSide2_1296x.jpg

Holster #4 arrived today and this might be it... I've been carrying my gun around the house empty off and on for the past few weeks and still not super comfortable. An ad popped up on my social media feed so I took a chance. It arrived today and I popped it on and wore it around this afternoon. At one point, I didn't realize I had my gun on. First time yet. It's an Essential Holsters minimal style holster. I'm going to carry empty for a couple of weeks to make sure I feel 100% confident its secure. I still need a good gun belt but my normal leather belt does ok so I'm hopeful a good gun belt will be even better. I have a kydex holster that's doable but it definitely digs into me more when seated than this. The Urban Carry lock-leather I got is a definite no-go; not sure why but it is VERY uncomfortable when seated. Hopefully just another few weeks until my permit arrives 🤞

P365_R_RightSide2_1296x.jpg

I saw an add for that holster the other day too. Definitely had me intrigued.

I just got some Freedom Munitions .223 55gr, everywhere else was sold out.
Anyone have experience with this ammo?
I've seen mixed reviews, but haven't shot any yet.

They’ve sponsored quite a few matches I’ve been. Never heard anything bad as far as reliability. As for accuracy, the variables in the rifle will probably affect more than the ammunition.

I bought/shot a lot of Freedom Munitions 300 blk several years ago. I did have some pretty big variation in bullet seating.

IMHO it was worth the risk due to price.

I ended up buying a slotted gauge and just going through all of it. I would say I had 9 rounds in about 500 that were not to spec.

Slotted gauges example:

Freedom Munitions have cycled properly in a cold and hot Gub for me a month ago. Went though about 1200 rounds without issue Over the weekend. I think the zombies are screwed.

Looking for 2 random firearms. Let me know if you see any local or best place to look. Thank you.
Remington 1100 lite 20 - 20 ga
h&k usp 9mm compact

Anyone got a Remington 870 the want to part with?

ISO 20 gauge for 12 y/o. He shot 150 rounds Saturday after moving up from a 410. Not too particular - Rem 1100, 870, etc.

Anyone got a Remington 870 the want to part with?
A friend has a camo Wingmaster to sell but it's a long barrel. Hit me up for more details if interested.

EDIT: Strike that. It's a gasser...Versa Max. 12ga.

Last edited:
I need a 4x4 labs (or similar) rear bumper and or a Full length walkable roof rack; Who needs an AR-15?

It’s a bravo company complete upper with a spikes tactical lower. Daniel defense trigger pack and fire controls. It has a colt full auto le/m bolt carrier group. Mag pull furniture. 16inch barrel and a 15inch hand guard. bcm large latch charging handle. Strike Eagle optics

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom