The COVID Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We had a case this week where a guy in Inman, Spartanburg County went to work and told them that he was tested positive with paper work. The entire plant was shut down for week and cleaned top to bottom. All employees sent home, no pay. Turns out the guy was lying to get a couple weeks off, he thought with pay. He is now in county lock up.

Last edited:
I think the lack of tests could also poorly illustrate where we currently sit in the curve. I think that the argument could be made that we’re actually a month or more behind on collecting data, and there are actually significantly more people infected than we realize. Definitely agree that the mortality rate could be lower because of lack of tests. Really any argument could be made with out good consistent data collection.

The point you're trying to make is that instead of being on the ramp up of the curve, we could already be on top, due to the lack of testing data in the past two weeks? There's really no argument that we're earlier farther to the left on the curve from today, aka still in the incubation period. That ship has sailed.

If that is what you're suggesting, I find that very improbable, but not impossible.

Re: the curve...my guess is that it's likely flatter (not flat) in reality vs that previous graph. I also bet it started increasing much earlier and we're just now learning (and reporting) more accurate infection rates because we are doing more testing. In the end it really doesn't matter and the concern is that more folks are getting sick hence more social distancing and isolation is needed before an effective treatment / vaccine is available.

The point you're trying to make is that instead of being on the ramp up of the curve, we could already be on top, due to the lack of testing data in the past two weeks?

If so, I find that very improbable, but not impossible.
Not necessarily that we’re in the top, or anywhere in particular but that we just don’t have a good idea. Maybe we are, maybe it’s taking longer to get to that point ( which could mean we’re in for a longer ride than expected) point is it’s important to consider probability of error.
Edit: I should also add that I’m often accused of playing devils advocate

Last edited:
But since I’m no medical expert, and barely passed statistics in college, I’ll think I’ll call it a day and go out in the shop and hit things with a hammer. This working from home and electronic socializing stuff is draining lol.

I do know one thing...this social distancing / isolation has got to be working. Just me not going into the office and seeing the 15-20 people I interact with daily then go interact with another group of people has to be helping...right?!?!

yep, time to go outside. going to do some painting on a grinder im restoring.

Accessibility to testing is problematic in so many ways. Based on the number of confirmed positive that were asymptomatic tells me there is a high likelihood there are far, far more unreported cases than accounted for, and the mortality rate is way lower than reported. Either way, until testing is accessible to everyone and random statistical samples can be collected, it's all conjecture. It's bad - stay at home, ride it out, and let's learn from this.

Well big evil corporate just sent me home with no Job or gravy so there’s that too. Anyone NEED some design work ? :D
#needmoreswagger
Who do you work for and what do you do?

This data is a bit behind worldmeters.info but it's still alarming and if folks don't take this seriously then we will continue to hold true to an exponential curve.

While some will look at the data below as some positive sign the virus is not that serious for young folks, the other side of the equation is that older mothers, fathers, and grandparents that could contract the virus from their children or grandchildren enter a much higher mortality rate bracket. I check on my parents regularly to make sure they aren't leaving the house for anything. My aunt on the other hand is not so lucky and has to go to work everyday. At least her hours are reduced and she is doing everything she personally can to isolate herself.

Age of Coronavirus Deaths
COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

AGE​
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old
no fatalities

Thats where I am Stan, business owners pay the most taxes and get fawked the most by government. Now, other times we like to flaunt how we are our own bosses and swagger about to the minions working for big evil corporate. But when something like this happens, we wish we worked for big evil corporate and have that "working from home and getting paid" gravy train. Loosing revenue due to the situation is painful no matter what, and there is no end in sight!

Don't even matter if you work for the big evil corporate - BrotherInLaw (network engineer) in NYC was laid off Wednesday because the boss says he needs to save some money during this......not that I am pissing in anyone's ear and telling them it's raining......

any thoughts on copper?

any thoughts on copper?

I've already painted myself in copper antiseize

Last edited:
any thoughts on copper?

I don’t really know, but anti-microbial is not the same as antiviral.

FA0D6454-B6D8-4B65-8586-903CE1D1ABA9.jpeg

I’m not sure which thread to post this in in. Camping equipment or Corona Virus? If I’m gonna be quarantined, what better item would make me happy. I’ve been wanting one since I saw one at Logan’s Run. Arrived today but 84 temp means I can’t use until tomorrow. Everyone be smart and we will get through this!!:flipoff2:

Son was exposed and came down with all the symptoms. (Sounding like Ferris Buehler’s Day off now). My son’s girlfriends roommates boyfriend got the virus and shared it willingly and without notice to others...prickf*ck.

Now on to the fun stuff. Patient zero (in my world) was with a group of eight guys traveling the country to perform in front of a lot of people. All eight came home sick and two were tested and came back positive. The other six went on their marry way and didn‘t get tested. When patient zero tried to go into the hospital and get tested he was turned away three times and still has not been tested. So, the Commonwealth of Virginia is clearly under reporting confirmed cases because anyone under the age of fifty has been turned away for the last two weeks.

No rants or complaints from me yet. I am on day 5 of a voluntary self-quarantine and am struggling with the decision to shower or not. Three bottles of bourbon are taunting me within reach and every time my seasonal allergies act up I wonder how long I will be laid up in bed.

2001 Tundra access cab I recently purchased has been taking up the slack for my lack of work.....

Did someone say solo stove?

E4ADD876-6B34-4905-9565-4B08717E5514.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom