The COVID Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Few pics from local vons grocery. Nobody wants the vegan stuff 🤔 @GLTHFJ60

AEA4F942-158E-449B-9597-27C7C55DC7F2.jpeg

466973A3-5578-418C-9DBE-774F3050A4E6.jpeg

DD6FB073-CAFF-4CC0-83D2-9F01D00B6B24.jpeg

706BBD52-F0A6-4921-874B-B77097E40E4C.jpeg

Ultimate prepping, eat s*** no one else wants to eat!

I don't know about everyone else but the biggest effect this virus is having on our family is financial uncertainty. Both Heather and I are experiencing down turns in business as people are either tightening their belts or customer's businesses are experiencing closures etc. No matter what field you are in the economic uncertainty will reach out and touch you in one form or another. We have postponed planned large projects around the farm and house. Plans for expanding the shop have been moved to the back back burner. We are digging in and have financially gone into survive mode.

We have been here before, both losing our business in 08 and starting over in new fields. Hopefully this will not last long and the recovery will be swift. We'll be slogging forward and keeping our eyes on the horizon. We'll be shooting clays to help keep the stress level down, so long as the clay and shell supply last at least :)

Keep the faith folks, we have weathered worse than this!

Thats where I am Stan, business owners pay the most taxes and get fawked the most by government. Now, other times we like to flaunt how we are our own bosses and swagger about to the minions working for big evil corporate. But when something like this happens, we wish we worked for big evil corporate and have that "working from home and getting paid" gravy train. Loosing revenue due to the situation is painful no matter what, and there is no end in sight!

We have lost at least two months of revenue so far at the B&B. The good news, is - - we are going to get a vacation of sorts :)

One nice thing that came out of my conference call this morning is how flexible banks are currently being. Banks in the appraisal business are very very inflexible but all of a sudden they have turned into a caring neighbor in terms of letting us do our work as we can and making sure we take care of ourselves.

Most of the pundits think that this also means banks will be very open to a mortgage holiday if it gets bad enough to get to that point.

x-post from another thread

Yeah, the purpose of this post was not to debate the merits of staying in nor was I soliciting feedback on what I should do with my weekend. If I stay home, I will leave my house once to twice a day to go purchase food or go to the grocery store. I will also be staying in an apartment building with over 300 people that regularly spread their germs on surfaces such a elevators and door handles. Had I gone to the beach or the mountains, I would likely have had less contact and interaction with humans and germs, making me less likely to catch or spread anything. I believe in containing this thing as much as the next guy, but I can also use my common sense and take precautions. Many of you have wive's, families, yards, and shops to work in. Me, I'm by myself in a one bedroom apartment. Thanks for everyone's input.

I've been thinking a lot about your last post during the day today as I went out to buy flowers for our kitchen table.

I think it's important to socialize to some extent (online preferred) and of course it's going to be essential to go out at some point. The key takeaway is to stay home as much as practical to reduce the spread. Earlier tihs week I was thinking about scheduling a camping trip to Falls Lake, or uwharrie, thinking that I'd be out away from people, meaning not at *much* risk, either to me contracting this disease, or spreading it in case I already have it.

What made me change my mind is that it's unnecessary travel, and thus unnecessary risk, however small. As much as I'd like to get out, I'm going to do everything I can to stay at the house. Once I become absolutely stir-crazy, I'll have to come up with a new low-risk, both to me and others, plan.

^ That sounds like a great plan wait and see how things settle down. I do find myself often wanting to run to the store to get something I really don't need. No don't do it, we're minimizing trips out. In a week or so there will be a lot of people going stir-crazy.

I am lucky to have a garage and plenty of projects to keep me busy. I'm working from home and definitely don't have as much extra time as I thought I would.

The logic to all this in my mind is if we all stop spreading things for at least the incubation period we can find out how much it spread 2 weeks ago and will have put a big dent in that exponential curve at the same time. Then we look at where we are.
Best case by then there's a treatment and it will taper off like the seasonal flu. Otherwise it will be a real mess.

As a country, we're out of the "incubation" period by all measures at this point. We are solidly in the exponential curve upwards. To what extent people are able to isolate in the next week, and how quickly we are able to continue to ramp up testing, will cause or prevent potentially hundreds of thousands of deaths.

1584729178142.png

As a country, we're out of the "incubation" period by all measures at this point. We are solidly in the exponential curve upwards. To what extent people are able to isolate in the next week, and how quickly we are able to continue to ramp up testing, will cause or prevent potentially hundreds of thousands of deaths.

View attachment 2244083
I have not yet seen, and would like to see a graph that also shows the number of available test kits, number of tests conducted along with number/percentage of positive tests. I have a feeling that we’re really not getting a good picture of what’s going on, and that many of these sorts of graphs are influenced by bad data. I know it’s likely that this sort of curve may still look the same because that’s typically how viral transmission works, but again we really don’t have a great idea if we’re skewing the data in by only being able to test at a certain time and capacity

Also I think it’s important to be a bit cautious with the information we share in regards to it’s source. It’s important to be consistent with where we get our information from, I know that there are many good sources out there, but also many bad. It’s unfortunate that our current administration has passed on so much bad information, to the point that all they say should be taken with a grain of salt. There are piles of information out there right now about what people should and shouldn’t do. I’ve chosen to stick with the CDC guidelines, this may be good, this may be bad, but it’s a somewhat reputable source and it will be consistent.

Last edited:
The only thing that a lack of tests do is falsely under-report the number of infected persons there are. That's important to understand. A lack of tests can also make the mortality rate falsely high, so that's another key point.

If anything, any reported "numbers of cases" metrics are a low estimation of the actual number of cases.

Totally right about the country's point on that curve. I just mean where ever you are if we freeze/stop and try to reduce new cases it will affect that curve.
The problem with the curve above is it's not what is happening now, it's really a look at 2 weeks ago. It will look worse before looking better.

The availability of test kits will skew that data. Hard to separate more testing vs real spread. (not to imply we shouldn't be testing)

...posted above at the same time as Johnny.
He's right. Low testing skews some things one way, increasing testing skews differently. Going to be hard to get good data until things settle down.
But none of the versions I've seen look good.

But when something like this happens, we wish we worked for big evil corporate and have that "working from home and getting paid" gravy train. Loosing revenue due to the situation is painful no matter what, and there is no end in sight!

Well big evil corporate just sent me home with no Job or gravy so there’s that too. Anyone NEED some design work ? :D
#needmoreswagger

I think the lack of tests could also poorly illustrate where we currently sit in the curve. I think that the argument could be made that we’re actually a month or more behind on collecting data, and there are actually significantly more people infected than we realize. Definitely agree that the mortality rate could be lower because of lack of tests. Really any argument could be made with out good consistent data collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom