The Coleman Thread (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another $10 and I think I have rounded out my collection.
View attachment 2047353

Needed nothing but started right up.

View attachment 2047802

This guy also had this cool thing from long ago. I can go pick it up if somebody knows a collector that would be interested. I am not a collector and don’t want to keep it.
View attachment 2047356

View attachment 2047357

Looks like a little bit of info here:
I know it's been a while, but would you happen to know if this guy still has this stove? Might be interested in it.

thanks Prairie Swamp, I was thinking it'd use the same canisters as these little guys which I love.
Image result for coleman silver stove
Adapters for these stove to be able to use regular Coleman propane bottles, can be found on Ebay.

Might be opening up a big can of worms here. But what do you guys use to carry around your lanterns, stoves large and small etc?
For the smallest Coleman 2-burners like the 425 I've found stuff at the goodwill, old computer cases and the like, but the larger 413s and especially the 426s have stymied me. You can find something long enough, but at only 14 inches wide most things that fit the length are WAY TOO WIDE. Very occasionally, you come across the original stove carry bags from Coleman on Ebay or other auction sites for ridiculous prices. Likewise, on the single burner stoves, hard to find good carry cases. For the lanterns, I'm leaving out both the super cheap red and black and green plastic cases you can still buy at Wal-mart, as well as the super expensive original steel "guillotine" cases which can go on Fleabay for nearly a hundy just on their own. So do all you guys have wives and mothers that are awesome at sewing canvas or what?
I have found two possible sources for this type of stuff stuff so let me know what you think.
First, Camp Chef makes big and pretty well-made bags for their stoves, just hunting for the right sizes: Carry Bags and Covers - Stove Accessories
Second, I've found a vendor on Fleabay in China that makes bags for a variety of stoves and lanterns for cheap, even with shipping from over there. I ordered one a few months back and quality seems high, just like what you'd get at REI or better. Delivery just takes a month: Items for sale by gksk2146-3 | eBay
I've seen people using the the large, empty plastic containers from kitty litter used for lanterns.

Is that vent painted? It may not hold up unless you used very high temp paint. There is a place that will actually use porcelain(like from the factory)if you ever want to go that route.
The vent was refinished with a height temp (800f to 1200f) powder coat finish.
When applied per the manufacturers recommended instructions, the high temp powder coatings perform great on these vents!
I’ve been in contact with IDPE, and may send them some parts in the future for custom porcelain enamel.
This summer was busy, and I’m saving some more Coleman projects for this winter.

I know it's been a while, but would you happen to know if this guy still has this stove? Might be interested in it.
No, I tried getting back in touch with him but he never responded again. Too bad, would have been a cool stove.

What can the Mud knowledge base tell me about this 425B? I don’t see a date on it but I remember my parents using it over 60 years ago.

3A707259-C738-44D7-9A76-7B8FB73A8AEB.jpeg

847C62EE-CD80-4DAC-9A73-7E81382A0DE4.jpeg

C7222734-7EC0-4EB9-9CC9-7D63322F3A2E.jpeg

2A05ABCA-7E28-4481-863E-9B4715C66290.jpeg

Not sure what year they started doing it, but some of the dates will be on the tabs of the fuel tank. Check here for lots of info :

If you’re going to be a hoarder you may as well put them to good use. We had a four-stove affair at the park tonight. @Cruiserdrew there’s your Sears right there.
CFF45DCF-E3D5-4432-BA6C-85508E89942F.jpeg
D80D95AF-F2BC-44C8-8775-4D2F1C23F7AE.jpeg

Picked up some items from an acquaintance that recently passed away. 8 lanterns & 1 Coleman 500 single burner stove. As best I can tell this particul stove was made in 1946 ish. Should have taken some more before pictures, but I really did not think I could get it fired up much less to run good.

EDIT: After further review, it has a date stamp of B - 53. So either Feb1953 or 2nd quarter of 1953.

Basically did a complete tear down, soaked things in vinegar . Did not buy any parts & while it runs good, it pulses just a little. I was able to clean up the generator & reuse it…it is damaged tho & I may need to get a new generator.

Again, should have taken more pictures but here you go. The 500’s are great little single burners.

2D11C8B7-04E0-4FE8-9BB9-B95DAFDEEE29.png

9D8F6936-9153-49EB-8EF0-AED6F60CDBA1.png

347B7C9B-3326-4D0D-897D-1F69C3F96A38.png

Last edited:
Picked up some items from an acquaintance that recently passed away. 8 lanterns & 1 Coleman 500 single burner stove. As best I can tell this particul stove was made in 1946 ish. Should have taken some more before pictures, but I really did not think I could get it fired up much less to run good.

Basically did a complete tear down, soaked things in vinegar . Did not buy any parts & while it runs good, it pulses just a little. I was able to clean up the generator & reuse it…it is damaged tho & I may need to get a new generator.

Again, should have taken more pictures but here you go. The 500’s are great little single burners.

View attachment 2895070

View attachment 2895071

View attachment 2895072
I've got a 413 that I refreshed and it pulses. Still cooks fine but it annoys me a little bit. Any idea what causes this?

^^^ @reddog90

I ’think’ it’s either the fuel & air tube or the generator. In my case it’s more likely to be the generator as I further damaged the long spring that sits inside the generator as I was trying to remove it for a good cleaning.

If those items are both easy for you to get to, you might remove them both & soak them in vinegar & make sure there are no obstructions.

@reddog90 I tried one more fix…and it has solved my pulsating. Might be something for you to look into.

I replaced the gasket on the fill cap…and viola, it solved the issue. Elementary I know. The old gasket looked ‘ok’, marginal but ok. It even gave the reassuring psst of air when I released the cap. But as a last ditch effort I decided to replace it with a new one I had in the stash. So you might try it.

And if you do change it…use a gasket and NOT a ‘O’ ring. There is a difference.

@reddog90 I tried one more fix…and it has solved my pulsating. Might be something for you to look into.

I replaced the gasket on the fill cap…and viola, it solved the issue. Elementary I know. The old gasket looked ‘ok’, marginal but ok. It even gave the reassuring psst of air when I released the cap. But as a last ditch effort I decided to replace it with a new one I had in the stash. So you might try it.

And if you do change it…use a gasket and NOT a ‘O’ ring. There is a difference.
I'm pretty sure I replaced the cap gasket when I refreshed the stove. I'll have to get it down and look again. Thanks.

Pulsing can also be caused by a clogged up generator. Keep in mind that many of these stoves and lanterns are 40/50/60 years old by now, and that's probably the original generator that you're looking at. What happens is, as the generator heats up, the carbon inside expands and starts to restrict the flow of fluid, which then causes pulsation in the location where it's turned from liquid to gas. The resulting gas then shoots out of the generator orifice at an inconsistent rate. This is what causes the flame to pulse on a stove. On lanterns, this is evident When the mantle pulses bright and dim.

For lanterns, a simple fix is to light it up and run it at wide open throttle for a few hours. This burns off the carbon deposits and heats the generator up significantly, which can cure a mild case of pulsing. If that doesn't fix it, a new generator will probably do it. If you're handy, taking the old generator apart will reveal a brass rod with a pricker on the end which closes the orifice, surrounded by a tightly wound spring, and usually with an asbestos straw around the assembly. This arrangement of parts allows liquid fuel to be pushed through the generator in such a way as to be exposed to the heat of the mantle for a sufficient period of time to turn it to gas. That spring serves as a heat-sink to help atomize the fuel. Crack off all the carbon (*being careful not to bend or damage the pricker), and it will probably work fine.

With stoves, the pricker may be on the end of an oddly shaped spring, making cleaning of the generator difficult or impossible. Try heating it up with a torch to burn off any carbon deposits, and then reinstall. Solvents are unlikely unto help, as Coleman white gas is already a pretty good solvent. The biggest cause of carbon deposits in generators is using dirty fuel, or unleaded gasoline with all its additives, which quickly gum up the generator core.

Coleman sells Dual-Fuel lanterns, and the biggest difference is a generator that's physically bigger, with larger springs to tolerate more deposits before it starts misbehaving.

Pulsing can also be caused by a clogged up generator. Keep in mind that many of these stoves and lanterns are 40/50/60 years old by now, and that's probably the original generator that you're looking at. What happens is, as the generator heats up, the carbon inside expands and starts to restrict the flow of fluid, which then causes pulsation in the location where it's turned from liquid to gas. The resulting gas then shoots out of the generator orifice at an inconsistent rate. This is what causes the flame to pulse on a stove. On lanterns, this is evident When the mantle pulses bright and dim.

For lanterns, a simple fix is to light it up and run it at wide open throttle for a few hours. This burns off the carbon deposits and heats the generator up significantly, which can cure a mild case of pulsing. If that doesn't fix it, a new generator will probably do it. If you're handy, taking the old generator apart will reveal a brass rod with a pricker on the end which closes the orifice, surrounded by a tightly wound spring, and usually with an asbestos straw around the assembly. This arrangement of parts allows liquid fuel to be pushed through the generator in such a way as to be exposed to the heat of the mantle for a sufficient period of time to turn it to gas. That spring serves as a heat-sink to help atomize the fuel. Crack off all the carbon (*being careful not to bend or damage the pricker), and it will probably work fine.

With stoves, the pricker may be on the end of an oddly shaped spring, making cleaning of the generator difficult or impossible. Try heating it up with a torch to burn off any carbon deposits, and then reinstall. Solvents are unlikely unto help, as Coleman white gas is already a pretty good solvent. The biggest cause of carbon deposits in generators is using dirty fuel, or unleaded gasoline with all its additives, which quickly gum up the generator core.

Coleman sells Dual-Fuel lanterns, and the biggest difference is a generator that's physically bigger, with larger springs to tolerate more deposits before it starts misbehaving.
This is what I am calling pulsing:

k3UaboB.mp4

Is that pulsing? It's a slight popping noise that goes away when I crank the flame up, but is consistently there at more normal cooking levels.

^^^
I think I would look at your fuel pick up tube that screws into the tank. Very easy to access, pull it off, soak in vinegar, clean up the inside and make sure there are no obstructions & fire it up for a test.

I would also verify the condition of the gasket on the fuel cap.

Your flame is good, so I'd look at Pressure or pickup or Generator. That's really all there is to these stoves.

Probably wouldn't hurt to run a thick pipe cleaner into the hole where the generator tip goes just to see if any spiders have built a home in there. Many a web has resisted enough airflow to cause problems with lanterns this way. Otherwise, I would say that's just normal operation.

Every white gas appliance has its idiosyncrasies; every lantern I own seems to prefer one way of lighting over another, for instance.

Thank you for posting the video; that's not 'Pulsing' as commonly defined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom