THE ALL NEW LAND CRUISER.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do not have that information from Lexus. Only Toyota.

I think that translates to, “The Cruiser is the only vehicle on my personal radar.”

:steer:

:)

I think that translates to, “The Cruiser is the only vehicle on my personal radar.”

Well, more accurately, the information that I have access.

Toyota and Lexus are different companies, technically, under the umbrella of Toyota Motor Corporation... itself a sub-company of the Toyota Group.

This is a bit depressing, in terms of the rate at which Toyota is not keeping up with a lot of the automotive world. Nothing is even really on the radar for the Tundra or LC200. The Tacoma is very long in the tooth IMO as well. They continue to sell a lot of widgets, so bravo, but I personally went from owning a lot of Toyotas to now only owning 2 company Priuses (which are still amazing IMO - bulletproof and efficient.)

Having recently bought a 2018 F-150 Platinum, it is insane to compare the available technology in a modern Ford truck to what Toyota has on offer with the Tundra or the LC200. I really don't even know where to begin with that conversation. From the turbo engine, the 10 speed, 12,700lbs tow capacity, mid-20 mpgs on the highway, auto 4WD, start/stop ACC, 600 mile range on a tank of gas, massaging seats, remote start that actually works and doesn't kill the car when you open a door, a crisp 360 camera that actually works, on and on... it's just very eye-opening to me how conservative (read: slow) Toyota is with rolling out new tech.

I'm not a Ford fanboi by any stretch. My F150 is the first Ford I've owned, and even considering it over a Toyota was painful due to years of brand loyalty on my part - earned largely by Toyota's QDR dedication.

I think new cars - maybe not the LC as much - are essentially technology on wheels at this point. The outliers are the enthusiast vehicles - off road and sports cars - but even the new Jeep has a plethora of very impressive tech on offer. I think Toyota's game is very strong in the hybrid/renewable energy field, and they've still got the market cornered on the large true off-road SUV, but I guess I just would like to see less compromises at the $80k price point.

technology doesn't always translate with trucks in my opinion. Too much complicated stuff and its going to break, and i think that is where Toyota has done well with the Land Cruiser. Its not the most sophisticated, but its nice and you know its not going to break.

My best friend bought a new Q7(while not a truck) last month and the dash went out at less than 300 miles. Now he is in a battle with the dealer because he wants a different car and i dont blame him. We all know the range rovers are a maintenance train wreck and the Mercedes GL isn't much better. I have 2 coworkers that had to have their ecoboost engine replaced at less than 50K miles. neither truck does a lot of towing or offroading. One Ford covered, the other they didnt. Also, once you replace the crappy factory tires with real tires, the mpg's go to crap without even putting larger tires on it. That is why I just sold my 2014 silverado that was loaded with tons of tech. It got great fuel economy, as good as an equivalent F150 with an ecoboost, until i had to get new tires. I replaced the factory tires with same sized bfg's and it started getting about the same fuel economy as my LC. Didnt make much sense to keep it at that point.

I would like to see an updated LC with more tech and better fuel economy, but not at the loss of reliability and capability. I feel that the Tundra and Sequoia are in a worse spot that the LC. I would like to get another pickup, but I am really unimpressed
with everything except for maybe diesel Colorado which is too small and the power wagon which would be extreme overkill for my needs.

This is a bit depressing, in terms of the rate at which Toyota is not keeping up with a lot of the automotive world. Nothing is even really on the radar for the Tundra or LC200. The Tacoma is very long in the tooth IMO as well. They continue to sell a lot of widgets, so bravo, but I personally went from owning a lot of Toyotas to now only owning 2 company Priuses (which are still amazing IMO - bulletproof and efficient.)

Having recently bought a 2018 F-150 Platinum, it is insane to compare the available technology in a modern Ford truck to what Toyota has on offer with the Tundra or the LC200. I really don't even know where to begin with that conversation. From the turbo engine, the 10 speed, 12,700lbs tow capacity, mid-20 mpgs on the highway, auto 4WD, start/stop ACC, 600 mile range on a tank of gas, massaging seats, remote start that actually works and doesn't kill the car when you open a door, a crisp 360 camera that actually works, on and on... it's just very eye-opening to me how conservative (read: slow) Toyota is with rolling out new tech.

I'm not a Ford fanboi by any stretch. My F150 is the first Ford I've owned, and even considering it over a Toyota was painful due to years of brand loyalty on my part - earned largely by Toyota's QDR dedication.

I think new cars - maybe not the LC as much - are essentially technology on wheels at this point. The outliers are the enthusiast vehicles - off road and sports cars - but even the new Jeep has a plethora of very impressive tech on offer. I think Toyota's game is very strong in the hybrid/renewable energy field, and they've still got the market cornered on the large true off-road SUV, but I guess I just would like to see less compromises at the $80k price point.

I view the Raptor as the competitor to the Land Cruiser in terms of price, mission, and resale. :)
216cd23367ae43f147e4ca74d4329c43.jpg

It would be nice if Toyota would take a page out of Ford's book here and give us higher clearance bumpers and 35s from the factory.

Last edited:
Does ford offer any tech as cool and useful as kdss or crawl control?

On paper, it's comparable (if not better equipped).

Rear locker
3in shocks with long travel suspension
AdvanceTrac
Hill decent
Terrain select
Able to be flat-towed (unlike the LC)
Boxed frame

Leaf rears aren't great but not awful. Resale of the Raptor is quite impressive too. They're enormous though. The wheelbase is something like six inches longer than a damn Troopy.

Last edited:
technology doesn't always translate with trucks in my opinion. Too much complicated stuff and its going to break, and i think that is where Toyota has done well with the Land Cruiser. Its not the most sophisticated, but its nice and you know its not going to break.

My best friend bought a new Q7(while not a truck) last month and the dash went out at less than 300 miles. Now he is in a battle with the dealer because he wants a different car and i dont blame him. We all know the range rovers are a maintenance train wreck and the Mercedes GL isn't much better. I have 2 coworkers that had to have their ecoboost engine replaced at less than 50K miles. neither truck does a lot of towing or offroading. One Ford covered, the other they didnt. Also, once you replace the crappy factory tires with real tires, the mpg's go to crap without even putting larger tires on it. That is why I just sold my 2014 silverado that was loaded with tons of tech. It got great fuel economy, as good as an equivalent F150 with an ecoboost, until i had to get new tires. I replaced the factory tires with same sized bfg's and it started getting about the same fuel economy as my LC. Didnt make much sense to keep it at that point.

I would like to see an updated LC with more tech and better fuel economy, but not at the loss of reliability and capability. I feel that the Tundra and Sequoia are in a worse spot that the LC. I would like to get another pickup, but I am really unimpressed
with everything except for maybe diesel Colorado which is too small and the power wagon which would be extreme overkill for my needs.

Oh please, Range Rovers, Fords and Audis had quality problems even before they became computers on wheels. Nothing wrong with technology, heck, Land Cruisers have technology and we all love how reliable they are. These new high tech features will be so common, even on the cheapest models that they'll be very reliable. No need to fear them.

I might get blasted for saying this, but I believe the LC is just too expensive. Ever since Toyota has steered the LC from a utility vehicle toward a luxury vehicle, sales in the US have been abysmal. Some here might argue it's always been expensive but the 80 and 100 was affordable enough to sell at least 10k units a year. The luxury additions to the LC are worthless in my opinion, just look at the thread for rear screen removal, Toyota people don't want Lexus or Range Rover crap on their vehicle. If LC had the same guts and pull knobs on the dash, I would still buy it. I realize part of it is US regulations, forcing Toyota to make a Frankenstein vehicle, but look at the Wranglers, they are nearing 200k annual unit sales, utility vehicles will sell in the US. Anyway, I think Toyota LC team is considering this and perhaps may surprise everyone with a more utility focused (perhaps less expensive) vehicle in the next release. Until then, I'm always going to buy used. Rant over

I don’t think that cost has been the main driver of lower sales in the US. Instead, it is mainly about buying habits. Since the 80 and 100 were retired, sales of cars, minivans, and truck-based SUVs have fallen. Those sales have been replaced with crossover vehicles.

For the average soccer mom, a platinum edition Toyota Highlander is a much better vehicle than a decontented Land Cruiser.

There are plenty of people spending $80k on an “SUV” these days. They are buying Escalades, Mercedes GLS, etc.

Ok after reading some Toyota motor news on the inter webs , my official prediction for the next LC/LX/Tundra/Sequoia power plant is an Atkinson Cycle V8 Hybrid. You heard it here first. ;)

Ok after reading some Toyota motor news on the inter webs , my official prediction for the next LC/LX/Tundra/Sequoia power plant is an Atkinson Cycle V8 Hybrid. You heard it here first. ;)
I hope it works out better than the 3.5 Atkinson Cycle in the Tacoma. That engine paired with a 6 speed tran is painful to drive. That engine with a 10 speed trans might be the ticket.

I hope it works out better than the 3.5 Atkinson Cycle in the Tacoma. That engine paired with a 6 speed tran is painful to drive. That engine with a 10 speed trans might be the ticket.

Agreed. It's awful. They took a car engine and put it in a truck. Terrible results.

I agree with part of this, but for $20k less than a LC, a loaded F-150 is a compelling value proposition. I would never guess an F-150 is going to last anywhere near as long as a LC, but you can fix a lot of s*** for $20k if you have to. They are not competitors in their segment, I just found it interesting to relay my ownership experience with the LC and now the Ford truck.

I wonder what generation ecoboost your 2 co-workers had in their trucks? My F.I.L. had a 1st gen ecoboost and it also exploded at around 50k miles and that engine had to be replaced. I don't know if the 2nd gen will prove more robust or not, but I rarely keep vehicles that long (so good luck 2nd owner!) So far, knock on wood with 5k miles and a lot of towing and light off-roading, I haven't had any issues.

As for the tires, I guess I don't know what you mean about the factory tires being crappy and/or in need of an upgrade. I have no such plans and they work just fine. Trucks aren't meant to be serious off-road vehicles (with few exceptions) so I plan to keep the low NVH and high fuel economy I've got going.

So in no way am I intending to bash Toyota or LC's (which I will always have a soft spot for) -- but I do think Toyota is really lazy and cheap when it comes to adding tech to their vehicles. I'm anxious to see what the 300 is all about. But my original post in this thread about their next generation vehicles holds true. The LC200 platform is already over a decade old with no real changes, and there isn't even something tangible on the horizon yet to get excited about. Hell, even the Supra has been a ridiculously slow rollout. By the time these vehicles hit the market, the market is passing them by.

Fingers crossed on the 300 for at least an optional long range fuel tank, high-resolution cameras and a more efficient drivetrain, all while hopefully pushing the needle in the right direction for off-road capability.

The problem with Toyota (IMHO) is that there are way too many layers of management to get something approved. That is probably one good reason why rollout of new tech and updates is slow or even gets canned at the last minute.

It took about 40 years for Mercedes to do a meaningful update with the upcoming 2019 G Wagon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom