THE ALL NEW LAND CRUISER.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Actually, we don’t know if that is true.

Manufacturers often build models that they know they are going to lose money on. Sometimes that is for regulatory reasons - for example, electric compliance cars built for the CA market. Sometimes it is for strategic reasons - Lexus lost money on the original LS400 for years, but they were willing to spend billions to establish the Lexus brand.

We don’t know whether Nissan is makes by money on the Titan. And whether or not Nissan is make my money on the Titan really has nothing to do with whether or not a 70 Series Land Cruiser would be successful in the US. I tend to think it wouldn’t. There aren’t many of us Land Cruiser enthusiasts in the US. There are even fewer of us Land Cruiser enthusiasts who would put up with a solid axle truck with a crappy interior as a daily driver.

Come on .45. Of course its true. Just like @beno said, same as Toyota. The only reason manufacturers build models that they know they are going to lose money on is because they are forced to in order to meet CAFE, then they can make money on their trucks and SUVs that people actually buy. And why did Lexus want to establish the Lexus brand? To make money.

I didnt say the Titan has anything to do with the 70 series.

Anyway, the dead horse has been beaten.

Looks nice

6C86F885-0AB7-4CBD-9D3D-C7DA33D4D467.png

45CE4CC0-EB1C-44C5-B8AC-A3CA510250B7.png

Looks like a smiling panda

image.jpeg

Come on... stop teasing us already. I thought we confirmed there aren’t any changes for 2019?

That’s just a tweaked front end offering in the Middle East. Not a redo.

Just a thought. Didn’t Toyota go after the wrangler crowd win the FJ cruser?i know it wasn’t a true cruser but I’m guessing since they DCed it wasn’t all that profitable for them.

Just a thought. Didn’t Toyota go after the wrangler crowd win the FJ cruser?i know it wasn’t a true cruser but I’m guessing since they DCed it wasn’t all that profitable for them.
It wasnt a true cruiser and in my opinion it wasnt a true competitor to the Jeep considering it had no removable top and no solid front axle.

The FJ Cruiser was basically a shortened 4Runner with much worse visibility all around.

I’m not sayingi the FJ cruiser was apples to apples comparable to the wrangler, but they were going after the same segment. Which is what it had “cruser” in the name. Probably Toyota figured since very few wranglers ever go off road (much like cruisers, g-class, raptors, rovers,...) they would give the FJ better road manners. I would also say the vast majority of wrangler owners have no idea that their vehicle has a solid front axle and for that matter why they would want one.

The FJ was always planned as a temporary-run model, according to the Toyota guy in Breck last year. Also...something weird for Toyota lawyers about shorter wheel base...?Perhaps someone with a better memory than mine can elaborate on that recollection.

The FJ is basically a 4Runner with a funky body, if I understand correctly. Fully legit wheeler!! And waaaay more reliable tgan any Jeep.

My problem with the FJ was its horrible visibility. -The windshield was so short and sooo far forward of the front seat that it felt like I was looking out the far end of a tunnel. I like to see and enjoy the sights while driving and the visibility factor ruled out the FJ from the first reveal for me.

This discussion is academic.

Toyota will never bring back a SFA SWB truck into the US ever again.

Yep. That was the basic word last year in Breck. Legal concern etc. I don’t understand all the reasoning, but ya...kiss the SWB idea goodbye.

My problem with the FJ was its horrible visibility. -The windshield was so short and sooo far forward of the front seat that it felt like I was looking out the far end of a tunnel. I like to see and enjoy the sights while driving and the visibility factor ruled out the FJ from the first reveal for me.
Try seeing an overhead traffic signal out of an FJ.

The thing was, visibility in the FJ wasn't just bad out front. The large side mirrors caused large blind spots in the forward 3/4s -- right where a pedestrian would be while making a turn. Then there is the huge D-pillar, that causes large blind spots to the rear 3/4s. The window sills were raised up for styling, adding to the feel of looking out of a concrete bunker. Finally, the rear window was small and 1/2 of it was obscured by the spare tire.

Visibility of the FJ was atrocious all the way around.

This discussion is academic.

Toyota will never bring back a SFA SWB truck into the US ever again.

But you said Toyota is all about maximizing profits.

They looked and saw the GREAT sales figures of the TJ/JK, had the incredible FJ40/ Land Cruiser heritage, and then went so far as to spend large sums of money creating a new vehicle (FJ Cruiser) that they had to know was a failure on many levels, and in no way could or would compete with the Jeep. All it would do is canibalize 4 runner sales, mainly due to offering a manual trans. If they were all about profits, why not make a direct competitor and sell tens/hundreds of thousands more? There is your 'profit'

Toyota does strange things.

-Crapped the bed with the FJ cruiser
-won't offer a turbo FRS
-won't bring over a stripped down 200 series. They already make it.
-what the hell is this new Supra? Everyone knows its gonna be a flop already, like the new NSX. So much heritage and history wasted.
-the new tacoma engine? WTF? Did no one drive it before selling it? You have the best selling small pickup in the world with world famous reliability, why screw with it? And if you do, you can easily test the competition.....make it at least the same if not better.
-no 70 series? It would sell. At least as many as the current 200 series, and we keep getting that.
-a JK/JL competitor doesn't have to be SWB. Make it a 4 door. Removable top and doors. Jeep can't make them fast enough. I don't buy the SWB 'liability' reason
- The Lexus front end is terrible, across the board

and that's just what I can think of at this moment.

Try seeing an overhead traffic signal out of an FJ.

The thing was, visibility in the FJ wasn't just bad out front. The large side mirrors caused large blind spots in the forward 3/4s -- right where a pedestrian would be while making a turn. Then there is the huge D-pillar, that causes large blind spots to the rear 3/4s. The window sills were raised up for styling, adding to the feel of looking out of a concrete bunker. Finally, the rear window was small and 1/2 of it was obscured by the spare tire.

Visibility of the FJ was atrocious all the way around.

Ya, as a tall guy, I even have trouble seeing lights in my 200...

Last edited:
But you said Toyota is all about maximizing profits.

They looked and saw the GREAT sales figures of the TJ/JK, had the incredible FJ40/ Land Cruiser heritage, and then went so far as to spend large sums of money creating a new vehicle (FJ Cruiser) that they had to know was a failure on many levels, and in no way could or would compete with the Jeep. All it would do is canibalize 4 runner sales, mainly due to offering a manual trans. If they were all about profits, why not make a direct competitor and sell tens/hundreds of thousands more? There is your 'profit'

Toyota does strange things.

-Crapped the bed with the FJ cruiser
-won't offer a turbo FRS
-won't bring over a stripped down 200 series. They already make it.
-what the hell is this new Supra? Everyone knows its gonna be a flop already, like the new NSX. So much heritage and history wasted.
-the new tacoma engine? WTF? Did no one drive it before selling it? You have the best selling small pickup in the world with world famous reliability, why screw with it? And if you do, you can easily test the competition.....make it at least the same if not better.
-no 70 series? It would sell. At least as many as the current 200 series, and we keep getting that.
-a JK/JL competitor doesn't have to be SWB. Make it a 4 door. Removable top and doors. Jeep can't make them fast enough. I don't buy the SWB 'liability' reason
- The Lexus front end is terrible, across the board

and that's just what I can think of at this moment.

Everything you state is your opinion. Has nothing at all to do with real dollars and cents facts.

My recommendation is you give Jim Lentz and Akio Toyoda a call and discuss your concerns with them.

selling 100 thousand vs a million (or more) units is not an opinion.

The new Supra already turning out to be too little too late is not an opinion.

The 3.5 Tacoma engine being a let down is not an opinion.

Yes, some things they do may make positive dollars/cents....short term.

They may make money, but who is to say they couldn't make more and/or do it in a different way? They are not the be all/end all.

If they want to have a chat, I'm ready. They are just people. And one of them is just from the lucky sperm club.

They do strange things, in the eye of a car world enthusiast. That is not an opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom