THE ALL NEW LAND CRUISER.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those engine/tranny specs, 3444 CC, 420 PS, and 10 speed AT match the powertrain of the Lexus LS500 with the V35A-FTS Twin-Turbo V6.

I can get on board with a hybrid V6 considering Toyotas history with hybrids, but just not a twin turbo V6.

after 2300 miles last week I can get down with a v6 twin turbo in a heart beat. just think of the endless tuning possibilities and gains.
I love my v8 - twin turbos get me excited though!

Still have a hard time believing that engine will come to N. America...seems like Toyota likes to keep options on the LC very narrow in the US.

after 2300 miles last week I can get down with a v6 twin turbo in a heart beat. just think of the endless tuning possibilities and gains.
I love my v8 - twin turbos get me excited though!
The need for premium gas bothers me because of so many places where T want to go that it is not available.

I think you will find, you will be 100% correct in your prediction :D

Toyota has hinted at a turbo 6 for some time now.

The need for premium gas bothers me because of so many places where T want to go that it is not available.

While many turbo's are tuned for premium gas, it's not necessarily true that turbo's can only be calibrated for premium. It's still likely that Toyota will have different calibrations for different models. No word on the Tundra receiving this motor yet, but it's certainly possible. If fitted there, it will likely have a lower timing advance calibration, perhaps along with lower boost, and a resultant lower power figure than the premium models that receive this motor.

Just look over at the Ford lineup that utilize the Ecoboost motor. Many octane requirements along with power outputs. With hi po output variants on the most premium models (raptor, navigator, F150 Limited) utilizing premium. The LX will most lkely get the beefiest variant along with a 91 octane requirement. How the new Land Cruiser gets postured is anyone's guess, and may vary depending on intended world market. Turbo's are quite elastic in power output, correlating tightly with available octane.

Hmm, I recall someone making that prediction...

The Land Cruiser/LX has never shared an engine with the LS and I dont think they will start now.

It seems twin turbos are old hat and now all the talk is about "mild-hybrids". Toyota even talking about going to one for the performance Lexus F models.

“One solution could be a pure F GT car, which could be a hybrid with an electric motor and a strong engine, giving a different kind of drive feel,” Sawa told AutoExpress “We don’t stick to V8, V10, twin-turbocharged; they’re important but we’re looking at the future. We’d like to find a way to connect to the next era.”

Lexus F performance models could go hybrid electric

Here, they talk about a hybrid truck, because CAFE:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyota-to-update-body-on-frame-models-considers-hybrid-truck/

Considering the CAFE standards that were about to go into effect are now being rolled back, Im thinking theres still a good chance we will get another V8.

If not, and considering Toyotas success and history with hybrids, and all the talk about them, I think it could be some sort of hybrid V6.

Hopefully its not a Turbo Hybrid V6! This of course is assuming we even get a 300 Series LC!!!

My wife’s new CRV has a turbo engine that doesn’t require premium, so it can definitely be tuned that way by the manufacturer. IIRC the LC doesn’t require premium but the LX does “require” it, so I could see a slight tune divergence on the 300 where the LC continues on without the designation and the LX gets a small bump in power based on tune requiring premium.

I read Japanese ;)

That phrase basically says, "V8 is history - onward to V6 Turbo + HV!" Not sure what the "HV" refers to, though. Would love to see the whole article ...

HTH

I have heard the Tundra will lose the V8 during the next major model change to be replaced by twin turbo V6 so it doesn’t surprise me if this happens to the LC also.

I have heard the Tundra will lose the V8 during the next major model change to be replaced by twin turbo V6 so it doesn’t surprise me if this happens to the LC also.

I think we’ll Eventually see electric add back the missing torque of the 6. But not for a while yet.

From the horse's mouth....

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 10.48.49.png

Production begins at Yoshiwara (LX/LC) and Tahara (LC) 6 AUG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom