THE ALL NEW LAND CRUISER.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My coworkers F150's were a 2012 and 2013 I'm petty sure. Those goodyear tires only come on trucks from the factory and one BFG weighs as much as two of those crappy tires. The big 3 are the only ones that use them and its only to help them achieve better fuel economy. They wear uneven, belts shift, and they get out of balance so easily

I do agree the land cruiser has gotten too expensive, but its not completely on Toyota. All light duty trucks coming into the U.S. from outside of N. America have a 50% tariff on them. That is why the land cruiser is the only truck we get from Toyota that isn't made in North America. They have been trying to get it changed, however the big 3 have been fighting it. That is why we dont get the Hilux, Surf, 70 Series, Patrol, hard body, and the stuff we do get like the land cruiser, land rovers, and G wagon we only get in the top luxury forms. If we could get the poverty package, it would be awesome, but Toyota cant bring it to the U.S. at a price point that makes remotely any sense and make money.

I think we will see a hybrid next as well. Not sure it will be a V8 though. We might see a larger displacement 6. The prius has proven to be EXTREMELY reliable. Fuel tank will probably still be a thimble.....

The pressure on Toyota Trucks & SUV's will really start to become an issue as Ford moves to just trucks and SUV's over the nest few years as they phase out cars entirely on the Ford side. Toyota is far superior quality but technology is what the majority of users look at, I would suspect we look at long term reliability and usability first.

Everyone is missing (or ignoring) the obvious reason why Toyota does what they do and how they do it (conservatively— especially in the incorporation of new technologies into mass produced vehicles): maximization of profit.

That’s it.

Every vehicle platform serves a functional end-goal within whatever internal matrix Toyota has to maximize profits.

This is true across all platforms, internal sub-companies, supplier companies within the Toyota Group.

They just out to be making money yo!

You can have reliability, durability, or the latest technology, but you can only pick 2 of those 3. I'm fine with not having a computer to back up my trailer.

All light duty trucks coming into the U.S. from outside of N. America have a 50% tariff on them. .

50%?!

I thought chicken tax was 25%?

That is why we dont get the Patrol.

Actually we do now get the Patrol. Nissan sells it here for $40k and it’s built in Japan and imported from there.

It is missing a few things from other patrols around the world (off road wise), but now we do get a choice between a $40k patrol and a gussied up $80k infiniti version patrol ... Nissan is giving consumers a choice

https://jalopnik.com/the-2017-nissan-armada-is-the-coolest-thing-to-happen-i-1784698734

Last edited:
50%?!

I thought chicken tax was 25%?

Actually we do now get the Patrol. Nissan sells it here for $40k and it’s built in Japan and imported from there.

It is missing a few things from other patrols around the world (off road wise), but now we do get a choice between a $40k patrol and a gussied up $80k infiniti version patrol ... Nissan is giving consumers a choice

https://jalopnik.com/the-2017-nissan-armada-is-the-coolest-thing-to-happen-i-1784698734

You’re right it’s a 25% tariff not a 50% tariff. 25% is huge !!! But the 200 series is 50% better quality and dependability and reliability then any of the American SUV’s

You can have reliability, durability, or the latest technology, but you can only pick 2 of those 3. I'm fine with not having a computer to back up my trailer.

I think you mean cost, reliability/durability, or technology

I do agree the land cruiser has gotten too expensive, but its not completely on Toyota. All light duty trucks coming into the U.S. from outside of N. America have a 50% tariff on them. That is why the land cruiser is the only truck we get from Toyota that isn't made in North America.

The Land Cruiser is classified as a passenger vehicle and is not subject to the chicken tax at 25%. Similarly, 4Runners are also passenger vehicles and made in Japan.

i was incorrect. it is 25%. Still a huge number when you look at that kind of tax on a vehicle. If it went away, we would get the 70 series. If the 200 only gets hit with the standard import tax which is only a few points it doesnt affect the price significantly. It is $10K more than an "equivalent" tahoe and is worth every penny.

Everyone is missing (or ignoring) the obvious reason why Toyota does what they do and how they do it (conservatively— especially in the incorporation of new technologies into mass produced vehicles): maximization of profit.

That’s it.

Every vehicle platform serves a functional end-goal within whatever internal matrix Toyota has to maximize profits.

This is true across all platforms, internal sub-companies, supplier companies within the Toyota Group.

They just out to be making money yo!

Well yeah but what I dont understand is why companies like Nissan and Jeep are making money off of two vehicle that Toyota could compete with, yet they dont.

Nissan has a diesel heavy duty truck that seems to be selling well, and Toyota just misses out.

And every day I see about 25 4 door wranglers with sold front axles, 6 cylinder engines, and crappy seats that ride terribly, get poor gas mileage, have no modern technology and most of which have at least $5k worth of accessories on them. Dont know why Toyota misses out on this segment.
Record numbers!
Jeep just sold a record number of redesigned Wranglers

The Nissan Titan is not selling well. They sold 53k in 2017. In comparison, Ford sold 900k F-150s.

Well Im talking specifically about the Titan XD 3/4 ton diesel. Obviously Nissan thinks they can make money on it.

I just bought a 2018 Nissan Titan XD crew cab 4x4 Diesel for work for a grand total not including tax for $39,500. Love the truck! Great power, tons of space, did I mention it was under 40k with the rebates!

Fit and finish could be better, but it is a work truck....

I just bought a 2018 Nissan Titan XD crew cab 4x4 Diesel for work for a grand total not including tax for $39,500. Love the truck! Great power, tons of space, did I mention it was under 40k with the rebates!

Fit and finish could be better, but it is a work truck....
What’s the bed size on the crew cab?

I know the tundra with the full size 4 door is a paltry 5.5 feet :(

Which is selling even less!

Thats not the point, the point is Nissan thinks they can make money in this segment. They entered a segment they were not previously in, and brought a heavy duty truck with a diesel powerplant to the US. Why does Toyota see it differently?

As far as the number of sales of the Titan, they are growing, and as long as they grow, they will keep producing them.

Just like, why doesnt Toyota see the 28k Wranglers that Jeep sold last month and say, "Hey, with a little tweaking, our 70 Series LC can meet US regs, and we can get in on the action." If a Wrangler meets US DOT/EPA regs, you cant tell me that a 70 is far off.

Toyota can make a Wrangler-beater in their sleep!

If they are in it to make money, which of course they are, they seem to be missing two opportunities that other, very similar manufacturers have identified and are profiting from. I just dont get it. :meh:

If it would be viable for Toyota, they would have already done it. I think they know what they're doing considering they're the second largest auto maker in the world. But if you think you know better than the big wigs, get them on the horn and give them some advice.

As for the Wrangler, it's not just the vehicle itself, it's the culture and the taste of Americana that comes with the Wrangler brand. Anyone can make a s***ty body on frame, bare bones, off-roader. Only one maker can put the Wrangler name on it, and that's why it sells.

Last edited:
Thats not the point, the point is Nissan thinks they can make money in this segment.

Actually, we don’t know if that is true.

Manufacturers often build models that they know they are going to lose money on. Sometimes that is for regulatory reasons - for example, electric compliance cars built for the CA market. Sometimes it is for strategic reasons - Lexus lost money on the original LS400 for years, but they were willing to spend billions to establish the Lexus brand.

We don’t know whether Nissan is makes by money on the Titan. And whether or not Nissan is make my money on the Titan really has nothing to do with whether or not a 70 Series Land Cruiser would be successful in the US. I tend to think it wouldn’t. There aren’t many of us Land Cruiser enthusiasts in the US. There are even fewer of us Land Cruiser enthusiasts who would put up with a solid axle truck with a crappy interior as a daily driver.

If it would be viable for Toyota, they would have already done it. I think they know what they're doing considering they're the second largest auto maker in the world. But if you think you know better than the big wigs, get them on the horn and give them some advice.

As for the Wrangler, it's not just the vehicle itself, it's the culture and the taste of Americana that comes with the Wrangler brand. Anyone can make a s***ty body on frame, bare bones, off-roader. Only one maker can put the Wrangler name on it, and that's why it sells.

I dont think I know better than the big wigs. Thats why I said "I dont get it." Im merely asking the question why Toyota doesnt do what Nissan did with the Titan. If Nissan sees opportunity there, why doesnt Toyota? Hell, maybe Nissan is wrong, I dont know. Im just asking the question.

On the Jeep Wrangler, I think most people are buying them simply because they look tough, and are an off-the-shelf SUV that can go anywhere, for relatively cheap. I personally dont think people buy them for Americana or culture, etc.... But thats just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom