The 2H/12H-T/1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Gturbo Alternative Tech Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If highway driving/speeds is the area you want to focus on then the 60/48mm FTE turbine size is a bad choice. You'll have hotter EGT and higher EMP than what a more appropriate sized wheel like the standard CT26 is, especially for an auto which spends more time at higher rpm.

As for the compressor wheels, if they're both similar 6+6 designs then the larger one will spool later than the smaller. I also prefer the trim of the Toyota DT wheel compared to the garret trim, it just works nicer on our diesels and more surge resistant.

If highway driving/speeds is the area you want to focus on then the 60/48mm FTE turbine size is a bad choice. You'll have hotter EGT and higher EMP than what a more appropriate sized wheel like the standard CT26 is, especially for an auto which spends more time at higher rpm.

As for the compressor wheels, if they're both similar 6+6 designs then the larger one will spool later than the smaller. I also prefer the trim of the Toyota DT wheel compared to the garret trim, it just works nicer on our diesels and more surge resistant.

I figured with 4.88 diffs the auto would be geared to the equivalent of a 5spd truck. I probably shouldn't have geared it if I was planning to turbo later :meh:

I was leaning toward Mamba since they seem to have a good reputation in this thread and they are legitimately balanced....is there one you would recommend?

Last edited:
A turbo won't change your engine RPM at a given speed.

The HD-T CT-26 would not be my first choice.
It's 30+ year old technology. The turbine design is not efficient, and you'll benefit from a bigger compressor too.

The hdfte turbine and 7cm housing is close to what the stock hdfte turbo was. It will spool up and boost at low rpm, but you might find it runs out of legs at higher rpm.

For highway use, I think something more along the lines of td05 18g might be a better option.

I'm just not sure about the 12 blade turbine and 7cm housing combo?
7cm housing is good for low rpm spool, but turbine design becomes important at higher rpm so the 7cm housing isn't choking it

A turbo won't change your engine RPM at a given speed.

The HD-T CT-26 would not be my first choice.
It's 30+ year old technology. The turbine design is not efficient, and you'll benefit from a bigger compressor too.

The hdfte turbine and 7cm housing is close to what the stock hdfte turbo was. It will spool up and boost at low rpm, but you might find it runs out of legs at higher rpm.

For highway use, I think something more along the lines of td05 18g might be a better option.

I'm just not sure about the 12 blade turbine and 7cm housing combo?
7cm housing is good for low rpm spool, but turbine design becomes important at higher rpm so the 7cm housing isn't choking it

I wasn't thinking that I would have any RPM change, but just noting that an auto with 4.88's is pretty much the same final drive as a 5spd with 4.11's. I guess I dont want to get stuck with a turbo that will make me constantly worrying about EGT's...I really just need one for the elevations I see regularly on the highways and passes here.

Yes they can be clocked to fit any application. Mamba doesn't offer much range with the standard size CT26 turbine and most the ones they do, have comp wheels that are way too big but this particular one is a good match up.

Last edited:
This is my pick of a standard sized CT26 turbine with the GTX style supra compressor size.

The CT26 turbine is really outdated, paddle wheel design.
Its far less efficient that many other options.
It needs more fuel to get it to spool early.

I found they worked from about 1800rpm (earlier with a smoke tune) through to about 3200rpm, then start to drop away after that.

There's other turbines that will spool earlier, and continue to produce power at higher rpm with less fuel required to get them spooled up

Yes the paddle wheel does lack in certain areas and excels in others but it's more the size which matters and Toyota got this nearly spot on. Yes you can get more modern/efficient wheels which focus on certain areas in a td05h turbine or CT26m/ct20b FTE turbine what ever you like to call it but it's still limited by those tiny sizes and a trim which is less than ideal, plus a lot of them run 12 blades which would be even worse for what he wants. For @SKULLYOTA wants, his auto and focusing on highway driving he's much better off with something in the standard CT26 size turbine, even the 9 blade version mamba makes of this which is the latest designs and ultra efficient can still achieve amazing low down spool. If it was a manual and he wanted better low down for city driving etc then yes, those others can work better down low but suffer in other areas. There's no perfect turbo out there, they all compromise in certain areas

Yes the paddle wheel does lack in certain areas and excels in others but it's more the size which matters and Toyota got this nearly spot on. Yes you can get more modern/efficient wheels which focus on certain areas in a td05h turbine or CT26m/ct20b FTE turbine what ever you like to call it but it's still limited by those tiny sizes and a trim which is less than ideal, plus a lot of them run 12 blades which would be even worse for what he wants. For @SKULLYOTA wants, his auto and focusing on highway driving he's much better off with something in the standard CT26 size turbine, even the 9 blade version mamba makes of this which is the latest designs and ultra efficient can still achieve amazing low down spool. If it was a manual and he wanted better low down for city driving etc then yes, those others can work better down low but suffer in other areas. There's no perfect turbo out there, they all compromise in certain areas
Yeah, looking at the mamba turbo's their ct26m 10 blade turbine looks like and good compromise.
More refined/ modern blade shape, with 7cm housing would still expect it to spool up fast, and a bit more efficient than the CT26 paddle, and more efficient than the CT26m 9 blade version.

The 7cm housing is still gonna limit its top end

Last edited:
Yes the paddle wheel does lack in certain areas and excels in others but it's more the size which matters and Toyota got this nearly spot on.
I've read a lot of old posts about turbos on this forum, and I think you might be the only forum member to ever post that the they think the ct26 is well sized for diesel applications, let alone 'spot on'.

I've read a lot of old posts about turbos on this forum, and I think you might be the only forum member to ever post that the they think the ct26 is well sized for diesel applications, let alone 'spot on'.
I meant more the size of the ct26 inducer/ exducer is well matched to a 4.2L diesel, a tad small in certain conditions though. If you start testing and trying different sizes it doesn't take long to work out what's good or not

Well thanks for the input everyone, the Mamba one that @KiwiDingo posted might work good. It’d be interesting to have a stock CT26 for comparison

@KiwiDingo

So for a 13BT, I know most of the "upgrade" turbos are the 7cm because the factory CT26 is too big. What would you do for a 5 spd, 13BT, at 5,000ft elevation and mountain passes?

What I've noticed from the stock turbo is that it's lazy/laggy. It doesn't spool up until later on. As others have stated, I don't feel it's a great match for the 13BT.

I just ordered a Mamba a few minutes ago......:bounce:

Still need to round up gauges, a few more small parts and a bunch of 3" exhaust bends and tubing to make a 3" system.

About how long are people waiting for shipping times on Mamba anyway? I haven’t gotten a “it’s shipped” email yet 😬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom