Technician reports rodent activity in engine compartment, recommends guest take action to eliminate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It could actually be a VERY major issue, depending on the amount of damage. Imagine a critter munching through a bunch of wires under the hood. Could be very expensive to find them all and get them replaced.

We had the CEL turn on in the Highlander earlier this year, codes showed a knock sensor. Turns out a mouse made a nest in the V of the V6 engine, using the hood insulator, and chewed through the harness on top of the engine. Repair was $800.

Agreed, it is a reason for extreme caution when considering a buy. A relative of mine had rat damage to wiring in her MBZ. It took out the AC and they never could fix it despite several thousands spent, so she traded off the car.

Good news is that there was no "guest declined repair" note or any defects noted. I had a mouse nest in the engine bay of my BMW recently but it was superficial and no damage.

But these vehicles are always traded off for a reason, and sometimes you can have an unpleasant surprise a few days after taking delivery when flaws become apparent. A vehicle this complicated is really difficult to evaluate with a walk around and a short test drive. Even it it is "racked" you can miss things.

Such is life as a used car buyer!

Just found out this week that our insurance co totaled our ford fusion due to mice. These modern vehicles have so much technology that the wiring is complex. Could have repaired a couple of wires and you would have no idea of the headaches to come. Run

Major caution...BUT...

It is entirely possible to have a rodent that causes no damage. Ask me how I know. :)

One decided to DIE above the skid plate of my 100 series some years back. I knew it because of the growing, horrific smell.

***Hilarious part is a true FINALE...!***

Took it to Toyota to see if they could figure out where it was...because at the time, I couldn’t find it by looking.

-About 10 minutes after they took it to the shop area, the service manager came out with a HUGE grin on his face...and then burst out LAUGHING HISTERICALLY.

Why?
-He told me that he watched as the tech dropped the skid-plate...
-A huge, swollen RAT dropped 6 feet to the ground and literally EXLPODED...with MAGGOTS everywhere, and his tech instantly THREW UP on the floor. :confused:

I. Kid. You. Not!
Hahahahaha! :rofl:

They sprayed out the area, and ran tests... Zero damage...and no charge!

So... It IS possible to have a rodent without damage!
But again...the caution mentioned by others here is absolutely justified.
Fully test...especially electronics and all chewable lines.

Rodent damage is more common the most know. I've fixed two out of three rodent damaged rigs with simple wire splices. So in most cases it's really an easy fix, with Raychems and cleaning supplies.
01 LX470 day 8 Spark Plug 207.JPG

Z 01 LX470 day Starter install & wire splice 3-21-16 063.JPG

But on a third (02LX w/90K miles, beautiful body, paint & interior condition $7K) I walked away from, as just to disgusting and way to much damage. It would have needed both the main engine and starter wire harnesses replaced and ever piece of rubber, plastic and padding under the hood. I've know idea if they got under the dash and wasn't about to look. By the size of :poop: "rates".

Inspect, inspect and inspect some more;)

My recent rodent experience: after parking my 2000 Tundra on the street for most of its life; the rodents hit it for the first time this year. Noticed no windshield washer fluid spraying on the windshield; found severed hose under hood & droppings. Replaced hose. Couple weeks later, wife calls from nearby town, Tundra just died. Clicky, clicky on restart. I go over, check 4YO AGM dead. New battery, starts fine. A week later, battery dead. Charge overnight. Charger reads ~ 68%. Truck starts, drive to Toyota dealer. Gas smell turns out to be a "frayed" fuel hose to injectors. Replaced 2 days later, but tech twists connecting hose & it must be ordered. Truck drives fine.

Labor Day weekend, drive Tundra 2 blocks in rain & it dies in the middle of the road. Towed to Toyota. On Tuesday, service calls to say engine harness is chewed in several places. Windshield washer hose is also severed again! Harness not available from Toyota, & the usual salvage sources don't have any. Tech spliced with a shielded wire. Check Engine light had been on for several years, replaced knock sensor & the light is now off.
> $800, incl. tow.

My usual import mechanic has a gallery of rodent nests/damage in engine bays from just this summer. Toyota also reports lots of rodent damage. Motoweek ran an episode recently where they used the usual mothballs & dryer sheets. These haven't worked according to my mechanic this year. Motorweek showed an electrical wrap (2" wide?) tape with red pepper flakes. "Warn mechanic!" I purchased some rodent repellant (white pepper flakes) & we're spraying under hood & around body. Tundra in driveway.

Electrical gremlins should be expected with any rodent damage. I had cautioned Toyota that something was causing a parasitic drain on the battery. Tech reported one battery terminal was slightly loose, likely from my recent battery charge. OH, my Diehard Platinum (AGM) charger is incorrectly reading the new battery.

This spring, I started my '94. No oil pressure. s***. Switched to my '96. No oil pressure. s***. Something (probably a squirrel) had chewed the harnesses of two trucks in exactly the same place on the same night (I had driven them both the day before). Pressure was actually fine but the sensor wires were halved along with 3-4 other wires each...right at the connector, luckily. I can't imagine the frustration if they got to chewing on a newer model vehicle.

Was told they use soybean oil in the newer cars plastic wiring insulation. So rodent damage is more common in all cars now.

My wife has a 2017 LX 570. I live in coastal SC. Every single house on this island has rat issues. They got in my wife’s engine compartment. We had to replace a few wires. No other issues at all. Lexus dealer can tell easily. Car is fine 6 months later.

I just moved to four-story condo top floor all concrete. parking garage is in the middle all concrete and I’m on the top floor of the parking garage I’m hoping that I’ll be all right I’m in Jacksonville. Before I moved I had a garage and I would put mothballs under the tires then when I ran over them they turned to powder I never had a problem with any mice or rats I guess I can do the same thing in my parking space. But the pepper spray under hood sounds like a good alternative

Pick up a kitty from animal shelter and problem solve!! My wife felt bad and start feeding a stray kitty one winter and she stays, and guess what!! Since then we have no cockroach, rat and squirrel hanging out in our compound anymore. Occasionally we have dead rat presented on our door step too!! :clap:

I talked with my car insurance company Liberty Mutual regarding my comprehensive coverage and they said they doubted it would be covered it would be up to the adjuster which means it wouldn’t be covered what insurance companies comprehensive does cover it I might shop for a different company in the future

I park outside on a driveway. Saw some squirrels hanging around/under my truck.

Since then, after some research, I have parked over a single bag of Enoz mothballs under the center of the truck. They don't smell great, so they need to be moved aside if you're around them for an extended period (if they're new), but they really work. No more squirrels, and other pestilence avoids them too. Exposed to all the elements, they only need to be replaced 2 or 3 times a year.

Last edited:
RATS return . . . yesterday afternoon, notice droppings under the hood of the Tundra again. Spray pepper deterrent. Drive to homedepot for Enoz mothballs & rat trap. Park in front in fire zone to load a tank of LP. Tundra dies. Clerks pushed into a parking spot. Had it towed to mechanic today.

MECHANIC STATES HONDA PEPPER ELECTRICAL TAPE IS NOT WORKING. Had high hopes until a customer returned with rat chewing marks on Honda tape. Wrecker driver offered several feral cats.

Possible rats have developed a taste for spices, now that Pico de Gallo is lathered on everything?

Question on the rodant problem is the wiring being chewed a lot less common in the heat of the summer then in the middle of the winter I would think that it would be a lot less in the heat of the summer varmints wouldn’t want to get up in a hot engine but in the winter they do want to nest in the warm engine compartment. just let me know what you guys think?

I just want to point out that rodents have been chewing wires ever since they invented wires. In my opinion there is no reason to believe that rodents have turned into “chai latte with soy milk” sippers. I have seen rodents chew rubber, plastic and paper based insulation as well as numerous other things and I have a hard time seeing how soy based insulation is more attractive. Just my sceptical outlook.

I just want to point out that rodents have been chewing wires ever since they invented wires. In my opinion there is no reason to believe that rodents have turned into “chai latte with soy milk” sippers. I have seen rodents chew rubber, plastic and paper based insulation as well as numerous other things and I have a hard time seeing how soy based insulation is more attractive. Just my sceptical outlook.

It's a new generation of rodents - millennial rodents if you will. They prefer avocado toast, but soy wiring will do the trick in a pinch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom