Taurus Fan Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, so I am preparing to do the T fan upgrade on my 40 with a 283 sbc and I was wondering if anyone who has done this swap removed the existing mechanical fan also? I put E Fans on my F 150 a while back and took the mechanical fan off to reduce the weight and actually gained a little hp and gas mileage. Sorry if this is a dumb question but haven't actually read that part on the board...
Thanks
Kevin

There is A LOT of information in the FAQ on this topic and you will read where the mechanical fan was removed for the electrical.

:beer:

I read the FAQ's but didn't see anything listed that said to remove the old mechanical fan. But hell, I'm getting old and blind. Cam, I've seen your ads for the fans but I'm gonna try and find one local first to avoid shipping costs....
Thanks

I read the FAQ's but didn't see anything listed that said to remove the old mechanical fan.

You have got to be kidding me....

attachment.php

Above pic from this thread in the FAQ

attachment.php

Above pic was from this thread in the FAQ

Yeah Poser, I get that. But it doesn't really say it in the text. It coulda been a snap shot of the installation of the E Fan with the cruiser not completely put back together. I know I'm being difficult but hell, I wanna do it right. On an even more lighter subject, I'm taking apart the 84 mini axle to do my disc conversion and if you think I was confused on the damned E Fan, watch out.... I began taking pics and I may make a tech article for "Disc conversions for Dummies" such as myself.

Also, Poser, and anyone else who wants to add their .02, Is there any advantage to converting to a serpentine setup?

I began taking pics and I may make a tech article for "Disc conversions for Dummies"

Hurry up!

This is something that has been needed for a LONG TIME.

Also, Poser, and anyone else who wants to add their .02, Is there any advantage to converting to a serpentine setup?

Easy maintenance and it looks cool :cool:

And in some cases it can be cheaper. Like for me it was cheaper to get the GM Serpantine kit with all the brackets and assecories rather than buying seperate new brackets and new assecories. And if I ever need a part I can just go a local autozone or something and ask for a waterpump or alternator off of a 91 camaro..

Here is a pic of mine :grinpimp:

P1010001-3.jpg

That serpentine setup looks good but, just wondering if the cost is worth it in the long run? Will a setup from a Outdoor parts warehouse (junkyard) from a 350 match up to a 283? they are both small blocks and several parts interchange, just wondering if this will?

That serpentine setup looks good but, just wondering if the cost is worth it in the long run? Will a setup from a Outdoor parts warehouse (junkyard) from a 350 match up to a 283? they are both small blocks and several parts interchange, just wondering if this will?

A lot of SBC parts are interchangeable, so yes as long as you don't get parts off something like an 05 engine you shoul dbe o.k. Like my serpentine setup is the same as 91 or 92 camaro and it bolted up fine (I did drill and tap a hole though) I believe it was worth it because it was completely new accesories (except the rebuilt alternator, which most are) and actually quite cheap. $500-$700 depending it you get the a/c compressor..

It was great for me because I would have been adding ac an ps pump, and probably having to run 3 different belts

Easy maintenance and it looks cool :cool:

And in some cases it can be cheaper. Like for me it was cheaper to get the GM Serpantine kit with all the brackets and assecories rather than buying seperate new brackets and new assecories. And if I ever need a part I can just go a local autozone or something and ask for a waterpump or alternator off of a 91 camaro..

Here is a pic of mine :grinpimp:

P1010001-3.jpg

Look at how much belt to pulley contact there is, especially on the power steering. :eek:

Nice setup.

could you just throw the extra idler away, I hate those stupid things, cheap sealed bearings go bad in 50000 miles. at least the tensioner one can be replaced separately. but the one on the left seems to be there to make something else fit.

could you just throw the extra idler away, I hate those stupid things, cheap sealed bearings go bad in 50000 miles. at least the tensioner one can be replaced separately. but the one on the left seems to be there to make something else fit.

Not sure what else could go there. This is the complete kit, no more add ons. The reason comes to mind that since it is such a long run from the crank to the a/c compressor, it is actually there is keep tension in the belt.. And it wouldn't be hard to replace. Just remove 2 bolts.......

Not sure what else could go there. This is the complete kit, no more add ons. The reason comes to mind that since it is such a long run from the crank to the a/c compressor, it is actually there is keep tension in the belt.. And it wouldn't be hard to replace. Just remove 2 bolts.......

You're probably right, the belt would probably flop and vibrate if it didn't have that, it's not the ease of replacing that bothers me, it's the cost.

which water neck is this from?

Any idea which year this waterneck is from? I didnt see it in the Napa catalogue they had... I need a better place to plug my fan switch, and this would solve my prob:
attachment.php

thanks!
dustin

Smog pump?

myfj64,

I just got through going to the store 5 different times trying to find the right serpentine belt. The belt you have on there is about 1/2" too big. The tensioner should be another 1" above your water pump pulley. That belt could stretch and jump off because you are about at the end of your tension.

I had mine like yours but checked another vehicle because it seemed that the clearance was really small which led me to got to a 1/2 size smaller and did the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom