Taurus Fan & GM Alternator Upgrade! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.destechservices.com
Ok.... So with an aftermarket gauge ive ran my Engine temp up to 220-235 a few times... I cant run my AC in hot weather and it all just sucks! And the main reason is loose gunk in the block.... There used to be more but its less and less....I clean my cheapo cooling filter (window screen material) often and rotate radiators and get them serviced when needed.

2011-04-15175326.jpg

My clutch fan is bolted and breaks once in a while and I'm tired of it. So I ordered a 2 speed Taurus fan. Did not want to buy a new clutch anything & want COLD AC in -5mph traffic.
Pirate4x4.Com - Installing a Ford Taurus Electric Fan

And it runs on crazy high amperage. Slow speed is like 80 amps at start up with a 30 amp continuous And the high speed is like a 160 amp at start up with a 100 amp continuous... Or something like that... It might be more like 80 amps.... Anyways... I plan to run a relayed controller
Compressor Works/Electric Fan Thermostat (733647) | AutoZone.com

But even with relays, some folks have doubts.... So I might just go with a spal controller or even this controller write up here....
Taurus Electric Fan installed pics. (lots of pics) - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®
Looks like an awesome/serious control/write up.
2630137192_3b7718516c_b.jpg

A thread on various controllers....
Fan Controller for Taurus fan - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Here is another from a HEEP
Taurus Fan 2

And another without a controller...
Taurus Electric Fan Conversion - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

And more schematics...
Hayden/Imperial vs Taurus E-Fans: My Review - S-10 Forum

And a possible really kewl thermostat housing, with a sensor cluster that would be awesome if it could fit and would work with relays alone.... Corax should be chiming in on this one in a bit. ;)
End line thoughts on electric fan swaps. - YotaTech Forums
(Post #4)
t-stathousing.jpg

I will need to upgrade to a high amp alternator, I should be all right then.... Here is a killer write up...
http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.c...Toyota 4Runner Alternator Upgrade Project.pdf

This write up uses a Powermaster Summit PN 47294
Alternator upgrades? where do you get them - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board (Post #19)

And Here
Alternator upgrades? where do you get them - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board (Post #66)

Other folks have used a Powermaster Summit PN # 47802
Hi-amp alternator for 3.0 V-6 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

And Here is one using a CS144 Alternator (The one I will be using)... (in my opinion the best due to a bigger casing)
http://toyotatrekker.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=help&action=display&thread=641

All are rated at 140 amps. 80-100 amps at idle to 150-160 amps running speed. Now both have different connectors... (I could be wrong)

And here is a mating connector that will mate the existing connector to the CS144 Alternator...
461804 Adapter Plug Fits CS Series Alternators in Toyota and GEO Vehicles

Here is the bracket... I still need to see if its still available.
22r-re GM Alternator Bracket - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
attachment.php

Bracket in Action!
alt7.jpg

And here is what looks like a stock bracket install with minor modification to the alternator only. Can someone tell me if that is a V6 or a 22r?
Alternator upgrades? where do you get them - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
(Post #19)

Also found a cheaper (not including shipping costs) and less stout looking bracket.... Anyone have experience with this one?
Toyota, Suzuki Samurai, and Jeep Off Road Parts (scroll down)

I will be posting various schematics later, Or if fellow mudders have suggestions, please post! I would like to get the right one for me... Or maybe get an informal Vote on the best/less prone to fry my electrical system? Also, some people say wire fan directly to the Alternator... Is that really better? And I need to start ordering parts ASAP! If I can get away without the bracket, it would be awesome.
Also, if I could go straight relay (no brains to fry) with sensors like Corax used with the low speed wired to AC and an override for river crossing, it would make my DAY!

Alternator is next on the list.
I appreciate any and all info.
Oh and please remember.... I'm an ADD/Candidate for Ridlin and not an expert in Electrical systems so If any one has specific part numbers on an AWESOME relay for example, it would make all the difference.

Alternator is next on the list.
I appreciate any and all info.
:cheers:

Last edited:
This is not much help but I was able to modify one of the stock brackets on the passenger lower side of the block to work with a chevy one wire altenator. It was a very simple mod that is very solid. It is not however as nice as that kit but was free...... I normally would get pics and post but honestly I have zero time to do so right now sorry

You wanted a relay... :hillbilly: Digikey part#: 255-2729-ND, 40 Amp, SPDT Automotive 12V with diode, bracket, and weather sealed. Digi-Key - 255-2729-ND (Manufacturer - CB1F-D-M-12V) They can be used in normally open and normally closed situations by selecting which contacts you use. Also they can be used for logic too. The diode is there to deal with the spike caused when the coil is tuned off. That means the polarity across the coil is important. Control power should flow from contact #86 to contact #85. Pinout and spacing is standard automotive with .25" quick connect blade contacts.

If you need electrical wire, Waytek Wire has some of the better prices, but you have to buy minimum 100ft spools. I just buy white and use permanent markers to stripe it.:meh:

Last edited:
As always, you do a great job documenting your projects, thanks for sharing!

Would you mind taking a shot of the alternator in-state? I want to relocated mine where the A/C pump is now (I have no use for A/C), and I'm wondering the possibilities of this.

I see the offroad community just love the taurus fan. I see the threads about them all the time.

Years ago before the internet back when tauruses were still new I put one of them ol fans on my ol mudder chevy. It fit the radiator great.

It was the loudest, most amp drawing pile of crap I have ever hooked a wire to.

These fans will smoke your batteries and alternator quickly unless they are upgraded too. What? what? what did you say? I couldnt hear you over this bargain taurus fan. what?

Why not just buy a normal aftermarket fan from a company like Spal and get a nice quiet fan that draws normal amps to power it. I use aftermarket fans all the time when doing v8 swaps into toyota trucks and they work way better than ANY tauraus fan Ive seen yet.

Nothing like overheating and then having a dead battery from the same part that was supposed to help.

I see the offroad community just love the taurus fan. I see the threads about them all the time.

Years ago before the internet back when tauruses were still new I put one of them ol fans on my ol mudder chevy. It fit the radiator great.

These fans will smoke your batteries and alternator quickly unless they are upgraded too. What? what? what did you say? I couldnt hear you over this bargain taurus fan. what?

Why not just buy a normal aftermarket fan from a company like Spal and get a nice quiet fan that draws normal amps to power it. I use aftermarket fans all the time when doing v8 swaps into toyota trucks and they work way better than ANY tauraus fan Ive seen yet.

Nothing like overheating and then having a dead battery from the same part that was supposed to help.

CFM's on that fan??? I'm guessing its louder than a blow-horn because its pulling air like there is no tomorrow no?

I Could use the spal controller for the low (used %95 of the time) speed to increase the half life. It gives only %50 electricity and works its way up to full so that the system will not get that huge kick in the (where the sun don' shine) every time it comes on. And then, use the a relayed system when it gets too hot so and it needs to switch over to the high speed....

And a possible really kewl thermostat housing, with a sensor cluster that would be awesome if it could fit and would work with relays alone.... Corax should be chiming in on this one in a bit. ;)
End line thoughts on electric fan swaps. - YotaTech Forums
(Post #4)
t-stathousing.jpg

I'm confused. Are you saying you have installed that thermostat housing on a 22RE, or are you saying it looks like a good idea? If so, I want pics cuz I don't think it will work. Bolts are in the wrong place. 22RE housing fits on top of the lower intake between the rocker arm cover and the plenum, not in front. Those extra ports just might also have an interference problem with junk already in place on the 22RE.

If you are looking for someplace to screw in a second temp sensor, then use the lower manifold from an early 22RE. There is a second port, plugged, next to the temperature (gauge) sensor. This port goes away on later manifolds.

I had a samurai that ran GM alternator once, It would break down all the time. Every time it was the alternator, went through like 3 alternators in a year. Went back to a factory one, never had a problem.

I had a samurai that ran GM alternator once, It would break down all the time. Every time it was the alternator, went through like 3 alternators in a year. Went back to a factory one, never had a problem.

DONT SAY THAT!:crybaby::crybaby:

You will make me cry.... The aftermarket ones look "heavyduty" though....
I'm not going with VatoZone or Kragen..... BLAH BLAH BLAH...
I'm going with an alternator specialty shop....:D

DONT SAY THAT!:crybaby::crybaby:

You will make me cry.... The aftermarket ones look "heavyduty" though....
I'm not going with VatoZone or Kragen..... BLAH BLAH BLAH...
I'm going with an alternator specialty shop....:D

We're probably talking OEM GM VS a solid aftermarket alt.

In my experience, anything that came out of Give us Money's factories was just some cruel joke played on the world. However, a solid Bosch alternator, or a specialty one made in Generally Mediocre's pattern will last a long, long time.

:beer:

Here is a related question. Does anyone make a bracket for an altenator located at the A/C location like someone mentioned above?

does it have to be a GM alt, though?

I'm happy with my Denso alternator, I just want it front and center to make it easier to repair or replace when the time comes. Burying it under the PS pump is a bad idea to me.

Burying it under the PS pump is a bad idea to me.
It isn't the best idea, but where else? My main concern right now is leaks from the power steering pump. It is also lower down so is more likely to get dunked when fording. Also I'd only place an alternator there as a second alternator.

It isn't the best idea, but where else? My main concern right now is leaks from the power steering pump. It is also lower down so is more likely to get dunked when fording. Also I'd only place an alternator there as a second alternator.

For me, since I don't have a use for A/C, I'd just move it over to where the A/C pump is.
Two windows, two bug cathers, a sunroof, vents, and a sliding rear are more than enough air circulation for me, and they don't have the draw or maintainence nonsense of A/C.

At max it runs 33 amps, somebody must have really s***y charging system to not be able to handle that load. Now if you are running a stock 40/50 amp you will be hurting over a short period of time.

Its common sence to caculate load needs so if you kept having dead battery's you didnt caculate load needs or you had a wiring issue. Its really that simple.
I see the offroad community just love the taurus fan. I see the threads time.

Its common sence to caculate load needs so if you kept having dead battery's you didnt caculate load needs or you had a wiring issue. Its really that simple.

Its common sense to buy a fan that doesnt need an ambulance alternator to make you deaf.

While that may be true or not you need to have enough sense to know what you are putting in, what load you will require and if you choose to ignore that you do not have the right to complain about have you battery's drained therfor that part of your arguement is mute.

Anything else?
Its common sense to buy a fan that doesnt need an ambulance alternator to make you deaf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom