Who does the best headlight upgrade for 92' Toyota trucks? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last edited:
Call me old fashioned but I still prefer halogen not just because I hate being blinded by cheap Chinese LED lights and bulbs but most LED full replacement lamps don't look period correct in these trucks to me. These are the housings I have
with Hella halogens in them. you could also add h4 HID's and god forbid h4 LED's
HELLA 003427811 Hlmp Kit 190X132Mm H4 12V Ece, Multi https://a.co/d/07DGMH1

Last edited:
It’s also worth noting, upgrading the wiring harness for the headlights makes a world of a difference. The wiring is 31 years old at this point and if you upgrade the headlights the old wiring may not supply the best power to them.

Years ago I converted for more lumins in the sub arctic, need Hella unclosures and any kit with the colour you want- I prefer oe not white and relay harness.

It’s also worth noting, upgrading the wiring harness for the headlights makes a world of a difference. The wiring is 31 years old at this point and if you upgrade the headlights the old wiring may not supply the best power to them.
Any recommendations on how to upgrade the harness? Bigger wires? Relays? I'm not great with electrical, but I can follow instructions. LOL

thanks for all the replies so far. Does anyone know of a plug & play harness upgrade?

I don’t know of any good plug and play setups. Most seem to run too small of wire according to the reviews. 4crawlers website has a lot of information and some wiring diagrams for doing it yourself.

And.....there is the SEARCH button on various forums.....

I have been waiting for LCE to ship me their H4 conversion kit... just got an email it is still on backorder.
Screenshot_20230629-112141_Gmail.jpg

Soooo now I am looking at other options. I'm in the same boat, I have a '92 LN106 Hilux. It takes the 5x7 rectangular sealed beams.

There is a company called Rigid Industries which makes a high-quality LED for 5x7 applications. But it runs over 600 bucks. My concern with LEDs is they don't get warm, and won't really melt snow off the front of the housing.

I have been waiting for LCE to ship me their H4 conversion kit... just got an email it is still on backorder.
View attachment 3361067
Soooo now I am looking at other options. I'm in the same boat, I have a '92 LN106 Hilux. It takes the 5x7 rectangular sealed beams.

There is a company called Rigid Industries which makes a high-quality LED for 5x7 applications. But it runs over 600 bucks. My concern with LEDs is they don't get warm, and won't really melt snow off the front of the housing.
Problem solved. Part number is superceded by 37455c.

KIMG2500.JPG

KIMG2499.JPG

100% Agreed. looks like the way to go for a harness upgrade is Headlight Services: Wiring - https://www.headlightservices.com/Wiring.html
Call me old fashioned but I still prefer halogen not just because I hate being blinded by cheap Chinese LED lights and bulbs but most LED full replacement lamps don't look period correct in these trucks to me. These are the housings I have
with Hella halogens in them. you could also add h4 HID's and god forbid h4 LED's
HELLA 003427811 Hlmp Kit 190X132Mm H4 12V Ece, Multi https://a.co/d/07DGMH1

Yep. and the HID or LED stuff doesnt get hot enough to melt snow off the lens. just say NO to chinese parts.

Just updating here with my own experience.

After much research, I went with an upgraded headlight harness, and upgraded H4 bulbs in factory lens housings.

I am absolutely thrilled with the result, could not be happier with the way it all came out.

My Hilux came with a previously installed aftermarket HID kit that gave me tons of problems, and was not bright nor melted snow off the lenses (HID doesnt get hot enough to heat the lenses). It had to go.
Out with the old:
IMG_1670 Large.jpeg

I went with a Headlight Services LLC hand made harness, these are made in the USA right here in Colorado, and feature really high quality components. link to his products: GroundSwitched - https://headlightservices.com/GroundSwitched.html
This harness was plug and play, and fit perfectly in the Hilux.

IMG_1667 Large.jpeg
IMG_1669 Large.jpeg

Relays fit nicely behind the factory fuse box.

for bulbs, went with OSRAM H4 Premium SuperBrights from Germany. These bulbs are affordable, and BRIGHT. got em' from Powerbulbs.com and were 9 bucks each. OSRAM Super Bright Premium H4 Headlight Bulb | PowerBulbs UK - https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram-super-bright-premium-h4
IMG_1673.jpeg

IMG_1668 Large.jpeg

IMG_1671 Large.jpeg
New harness plugs in and fits perfectly behind the factory dual batteries

Lights are SUPER bright, but not such that its offensive to oncoming traffic on the road.

no night time before and after photos, but I can attest this is a Night & Day difference

I saw this in the 40 section. It's a complete H4 conversion kit with glass Koito housings, the entire harness, bulbs, zip ties and dielectric grease. It was only $16.50 picked up at my local Toyota dealership. They come with 7" round housings so I bought a set of just the rectangle housings for my 86 and used the round ones on another truck.
1705433713927.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom