Who does the best headlight upgrade for 92' Toyota trucks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last year, I upgraded the headlights and harness in my '06 100 with H.I.D. KIT PROS (hidkitpros.com) at Dugan's (ACC Garage) suggestion. It was a huge upgrade. They make a kit that works for the 5x7s for $175. I'm tempted. Anyone try this one?

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 5.38.37 PM.png

Fine! I'll be the guinea pig... sort of.

I called HID Kit Pros about the kit and the guy said that since I'd looked at ^that^ kit a year ago, they have more options. Both are meant to look like traditional 5x7 headlights. The $400 version is a bit more retro I guess - probably upclose. The other is a $200 LED conversion - and does not require drivers, a harness, etc.

I bought the $200 LED conversion - BP7118. This has High and Low beams.
I grabbed a couple pics off their site:
Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 2.31.11 PM.png

And the output/color:
Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 2.32.02 PM.png

I'll report back!

I saw this in the 40 section. It's a complete H4 conversion kit with glass Koito housings, the entire harness, bulbs, zip ties and dielectric grease. It was only $16.50 picked up at my local Toyota dealership. They come with 7" round housings so I bought a set of just the rectangle housings for my 86 and used the round ones on another truck.
View attachment 3534630
Absolute score. and Koito housings are the best you can get in terms of performance and durability.

I dont know if that harness can handle upgraded bulbs? does it come with relays etc?

@Miloslavich , It is a complete plug and play kit. 2- Koito housings, 2- H4 bulbs and the harness. It just needs to plug into ONE of the headlight connectors behind the light and then the battery. It has a fuse and relay for each light. Oh, plus it comes with a bunch of zip ties and some dielectric grease.

yep, copy that. I was more curious if the harness can handle the draw from higher wattage upgraded bulbs. most stock harnesses have to be upgraded.

From direct and indirect experience over decades I suggest that anyone running higher wattage H4 halogen bulbs carry a spare in the glove box. Can make it be one of the 55/60w bulbs the lights likely came with and got displaced, or buy an extra high power bulb. Relays or not, doesn't seem to matter. The higher wattage bulbs just don't last as long as the 55/60's do.
The longest lived higher power bulbs that I've found are the 55/100w Hella's, but that is likely because the low is stock wattage. Even then, I carry a spare.

I picked up a set of H4 housings and put the Morimoto 2 stroke 3.0 LEDs in them. Plug n play. Couldn't be happier

Been happy with the H4 conversion kit I bought. Fit great in my Hilux. Seems like Rampage 5089227 kit is very similar to the Hella one.

Reason I stick with glass housing and halogens is because they melt snow. I ran LEDs on my 1st gen Taco, they were great during the summer but it seems like they got plastered with a layer of flakes and ice every time I drove back from the ski mountain. And then they worked poorly.

I've read that about LED's, and to some extent HID's as well, many times. I'm fortunate to live in an area where that is a concern about 0% of the time, but I frequently venture into areas where it is a big concern. I'll use LED's and HID's for aux lighting because the lumens per watt just can't be matched by a halogen, but I won't use them for headlights.

Last edited:
Cant argue this at all. I'm in nor cal where our winters are very mild compared to other parts of the country

Shoot. I didn't think about snow melt and LEDs. I mean, here in Atlanta... nah. I'll be fine.

Although, there was this one time, it was 2014...

Cop Pulled.jpg

The headlight assemblies and LED bulbs arrived just now. The headlights look plenty vintage. I'll try to remember to do a before and after set of pics - the classic beams on the garage wall.

IMG_4158.jpeg

Little update to my setup:

was researching higher lumen bulbs for my side markers, turn signals and brake lights with Daniel Stern, and he noted that my factory housings were RHD housing for the Japanese market. Not ideal light spread for our roads, and unsafe for oncoming motorists. So I picked up some new Koito H4 housings for US and Euro market. since Cibie no longer produces H4 housings, Koito are the highest quality housing with the best hallogen reflector design for this application- full stop. They are also the OEM housing.

I didnt realize hazy my original housings were, so immediately the new housings were a huge upgrade. Combined with correct beam pattern and fresh reflectors this is a massive upgrade.

So my final headlight setup is:

- Headlight Services Upgraded Harness,
- Osram 90/100w Bulbs,
- Koito Housings,

absolutely massive difference in light output and nighttime safety.

so in the end, if you are looking to upgrade your lighting, new housings are a Must.

Cheers

Original on the left vs. New Koito on the right
IMG_2583 Large.jpeg

IMG_2586 Large.jpeg

IMG_2584 Large.jpeg

IMG_2585 Large.jpeg

IMG_2587 Large.jpeg
Old and hazy vs. New housings
IMG_2588 Large.jpeg

Happen to have a p/n for those large rect. lens/reflectors?

I'd found those, but they're quite a bit different price from the 7" rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom