Tall skinny tires (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those are M/T's? No disrespect intended, but that's the mildest M/T tread I've seen. It looks to me to be an A/T tread which is probably why they're not any louder than your previous A/T's. Also, both M/T's & aggresive A/T's run the quietest when they're new, so enjoy the silent period for now.
M/T stands for Mickey Thompson in this case and those are all terrain tread.

Yeah, I thought using ‘M/T’ might be confusing but it’s even how Mickey Thompson abbreviates their name, so thought maybe it was clear to people that know more than me.

these are all-terrain tires. I don’t spend enough time off road to need mud terrain tires so I wanted something like a more aggressive all-terrain. Hopefully they are good for me, but only time will tell.

Side note: Have people actually been offended when someone said their tires were not aggressive enough mud terrains?? 😂

Yeah, I thought using ‘M/T’ might be confusing but it’s even how Mickey Thompson abbreviates their name, so thought maybe it was clear to people that know more than me.

these are all-terrain tires. I don’t spend enough time off road to need mud terrain tires so I wanted something like a more aggressive all-terrain. Hopefully they are good for me, but only time will tell.

Side note: Have people actually been offended when someone said their tires were not aggressive enough mud terrains?? 😂
Thanks to you and @ERG80 for the clarification. I was wondering what brand they were because my old eyes couldn't see the sidewalls clearly in the pics. Nice tires! I ran that size tire, but in the 16" flavor. I've yet to convert to 17" on my '94.

I've found that on social media, even if your post is not 100% positive or neutral, it's best to state something to the effect of "No disrespect intended" or "just sayin'... " as "icing on the cake" to keep the status quo from going in the ditch.

Thanks to you and @ERG80 for the clarification. I was wondering what brand they were because my old eyes couldn't see the sidewalls clearly in the pics. Nice tires! I ran that size tire, but in the 16" flavor. I've yet to convert to 17" on my '94.

I've found that on social media, even if your post is not 100% positive or neutral, it's best to state something to the effect of "No disrespect intended" or "just sayin'... " as "icing on the cake" to keep the status quo from going in the ditch.
Honestly, that’s very considerate of you so I applaud you. So much context is lost in this format compared to speaking so I try err on the side of overly nice.

I was also wondering if there was a specific story where someone was upset because you said their tires weren’t super aggressive mud terrains 😭

Honestly, that’s very considerate of you so I applaud you. So much context is lost in this format compared to speaking so I try err on the side of overly nice.

I was also wondering if there was a specific story where someone was upset because you said their tires weren’t super aggressive mud terrains 😭
Not at all. I'm used to M/T referring to Mud Terrain. When I saw your post and pics, I was thinking aggresive tread, but was still wondering what brand of tire they were. Your clarification along with @ERG80 's explanation set me straight. I was initially concerned that your expectations for tire performance might not be reached when I saw the tread in the pics. It was all my mis-understanding. Personally, I have 2 sets of tires for my rig. A set of A/T's and a set of M/T's. I don't always get it right, but I try to have the tires needed for trips I take. Since re-gearing to 5.29's, I'm kinda stuck with 35" minimum diameter tires. 4.88's are widely recommended for 35's, but I tow a trailer and appreciate having the slight power edge the 5.29's give me over what 4.88's would provide. Both my sets are 315/75/16 - not a bad size, but narrower tires would help for running in snow. I'm keeping my eye on this thread for ideas and because I can see how going with 17" wheels might increase my choices in the future.

Not at all. I'm used to M/T referring to Mud Terrain. When I saw your post and pics, I was thinking aggresive tread, but was still wondering what brand of tire they were. Your clarification along with @ERG80 's explanation set me straight. I was initially concerned that your expectations for tire performance might not be reached when I saw the tread in the pics. It was all my mis-understanding. Personally, I have 2 sets of tires for my rig. A set of A/T's and a set of M/T's. I don't always get it right, but I try to have the tires needed for trips I take. Since re-gearing to 5.29's, I'm kinda stuck with 35" minimum diameter tires. 4.88's are widely recommended for 35's, but I tow a trailer and appreciate having the slight power edge the 5.29's give me over what 4.88's would provide. Both my sets are 315/75/16 - not a bad size, but narrower tires would help for running in snow. I'm keeping my eye on this thread for ideas and because I can see how going with 17" wheels might increase my choices in the future.
I’m on stock gears right now and don’t plan to tow anything in the near future. I’ll probably end up doing 4.88 gears and lockers in the future, but I really need to get this thing on the trails before buying more s*** and it being a forever project but no playtime. I have a tendency to spend more time building than enjoying 😔

i think the turbo should work hard enough to make these 35’s feel smaller

Also, I switched to 17’s for that reason. I wanted to change wheels as mine were the OEM chrome ones (yuckkk). It would have been about $75-100 to have the wheels powdercoated or I paid $175/wheel for a style I liked better in a size that has more options if I ever wanted to bump to 37’s in the future

I’m on stock gears right now and don’t plan to tow anything in the near future. I’ll probably end up doing 4.88 gears and lockers in the future, but I really need to get this thing on the trails before buying more s*** and it being a forever project but no playtime. I have a tendency to spend more time building than enjoying 😔

i think the turbo should work hard enough to make these 35’s feel smaller

Also, I switched to 17’s for that reason. I wanted to change wheels as mine were the OEM chrome ones (yuckkk). It would have been about $75-100 to have the wheels powdercoated or I paid $175/wheel for a style I liked better in a size that has more options if I ever wanted to bump to 37’s in the future
255/85/17 sounds like a good choice for my conversion according to my tire calculator, but that can vary depending on manufacturer. Here in rural Oregon my choices are more limited. I really like that tire size and will probably go with it if/when converting to 17". Although I want bead-lock rims if I do it. That's what limits me when airing down with out bead locks - less than 12 PSI is chancy. I'm not familiar with running bead locks all around, so I've got some research to do. Especially dealing with tire shops.

I measured the tires inflated on 17 x 7 wheels at about ~34 3/8” diameter.

I think if I reduce the air pressure, I’ll be able to squeeze the spare into the stock location with the wits end bracket

I am set on getting 235/85/16’s but I wanted some suggestions. I am currently running BFG’s and they are pretty loud. I really liked my Duratracs but personally I thought they looked terrible. I would lean towards a Kenda RT but they don’t make that size. I am curious to know if someone is using the Kenda MT and how they like them. I spend a lot of time on the highway but often enough towing off-road where I would like to keep an MT. I am trying to find the best MT for the road. I would sacrifice off road performance for a better ride. I would consider AT’s but I am worried about being let down when I really need the MT.

Buckshot Qs. Most aggressive tall and skinny at 34". Wait, you wanted quiet. Oops. Those are the loudest tire allowed on the road. AHAahahahaha

I saw that. I was about to cry BS. Pirelli’s aren’t much better. Good reviews surprisingly but loud.

Tirecappers.com as recaps in 235/85-16 in at least three different tread patterns. I have the old school extra grip pattern. They whine a bit but they don't drone like a set of super swampers. I have a little more than 10,000 miles on them so far. Looks like they still have more than half their tread left. They were $105 a piece with free shipping when I bought them, inflation has push need this up ab oil

I am sure I can look these up and do a little research but I don't know anything about that. I suppose you need to have their tires in the first place or can you use any tire with the right size? For that price it is definitely worth checking out.

Any chance you meant tirerecappers.com? Tirecappers is not valid. Looks like what you were talking about.

I saw that. I was about to cry BS. Pirelli’s aren’t much better. Good reviews surprisingly but loud.
No Land Cruiser should have a Pirelli tire on it.

I am sure I can look these up and do a little research but I don't know anything about that. I suppose you need to have their tires in the first place or can you use any tire with the right size? For that price it is definitely worth checking out.

Any chance you meant tirerecappers.com? Tirecappers is not valid. Looks like what you were talking about.
Yes tirecappers.com. their company is in Tennessee. They don't recap your tires. They sell recap tires. Meaning that they buy you good used radial cores, and recap them with new treads. The extra grip tread that I have is a old school design with deep tread normally only found on bias tires. All of tire capers recaps are done on radial cores so it is in effect a radial tire with those benefits. Tread compound is supposed to be relatively soft which helps it grip well on rocks. Aired down and on slick mud or Rock traction is exceptional in my book. Again though they sing on the highway. Tires have really gone up in price the past 6 months. I was going to get super swamper narrow sam- 21 tires but no one had them in stock when I got the extra grips. Now the swampers are 50% more than they were then.........,..... If you don't mind spending the money a good modern brand new radial tire was not too aggressive tread pattern probably make you more happy especially on the highway. Tirecapper recaps or a good way to try something different without spending too much money and getting a nice deep tread pattern you don't get when you buy used tires........... On the tall and skinny, there's a place out of Canada that sells surplus Canadian military G wagon tires. Michelin xzl 8.25-16. that's a super durable tire but with shipping from Canada the price approaches that of a brand new radial mud grip.

I am still interested in the retread idea. You seem to be sold. Not ruling it out yet. I need more personal reviews pros and cons but right now I am leaning Kumho or Yokohama. Kumho seem to get good reviews and cost less. For me I am considering road noise and they look like they have very positive noise reviews.

I am still interested in the retread idea. You seem to be sold. Not ruling it out yet. I need more personal reviews pros and cons but right now I am leaning Kumho or Yokohama. Kumho seem to get good reviews and cost less. For me I am considering road noise and they look like they have very positive noise reviews.
I am by no means trying to sell you on them over a set of new radial mud tires. The retreads are working well for me so far. I would recomend them to anyone who would like to save $400 on tires and put it toward something else and you really want/like the tread pattern that tirecappers have and want to try it............I like to try things a little different from what other people do. I like the look of the old school extra grip tread pattern. My BJ73 has lockers front and rear and swaybar disconnect (none of which you can see by looking at it). I enjoy being able to go to the trails and outdrive/outdo alot of people with bigger/newer/more expensive looking rigs who look at my LC with the small tires and dismiss it as less capable (because it doesn't look like all the bling bling big tired jeeps).................I got lucky with the recaps on my LC. Lucky enough that I will be putting them on my tundra next.........If I get lower gears for my TC my next tires will likely be 34"-36" and it won't be from tirecappers due to the fact that their sizes are limited to what they can get good used cores for. I'd like to try a set of 9-16 NDT tires (jeep tires) If I could get a good deal on some surplus ones. I would not however pay the $250+ price each for new ones sold for restorations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom