Tall skinny tires (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The good thing, these tires are readily available...

Tall but not skinny, 38x13.5017 mounted on Sequoia 17x7.5 wheels. Wish they where a 12.5 or narrower.

IMG_20200829_181503_222.jpg

IMG_20200829_181503_221.jpg

My "extra grip recaps" from tirecappers have gotten smoother and quieter on the road after a few thousand miles to wear in. Tire Size | LT235/85R16 Retread Extra Grip M/T | Tire Recappers - https://www.tirerecappers.com/tires/mud-terrain-tires/lt23585r16-retread-extra-grip-mt/ Great in the woods and rocks/climbing at 12psi. Great on slippery terrain/ shallow mud with excellant directional control. Acceptable on the beach. Not for bottomless mud. It takes big and wide with HP to float and paddle.

Well for those still looking for the tall skinny tires you can get the Badak Xtreme in the US now. I have one of the first sets. They are being distributed through a company called tire streets. If you get them from tire streets tell them you saw them on here. These things are sick though. ! I’m mounting them tomorrow on factory FJ80 wheels to go under my 80. These are the 35x10.50s compared to my 36” iroks but the badaks are unmounted with no weight on them so we will see how they sit Once they are on the truck. They still have the metric size on the side though and when you do the calculations it comes out to almost a 36” tire. I’m going to make a separate post about them later this weekend with more details though.

View attachment 2405258

View attachment 2405259

Nice, I think I might have to try these. They just look too cool to resist for me.

Made in Indonesia. Better than China!

Accelera Badak X-Treme - https://tirestreets.com/products/accelera-badak-x-treme?variant=31624008695866

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 5.52.25 PM.png

The comparable 35x10.50/16 Super Swamper Bogger is less than 35" tall and $350 each. The Boggers are 10 ply, these are 6 ply rated. So Id think they'd be a little flexier on rocks.

Looks like they also used your picture on their website!

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 5.55.43 PM.png

Outside diameter listed as 35.6!

Last edited:
Those on 16” City Racers on a 40 with OE Soft Top...yup.

Before (BFG A/T 33x10.5r15 on OE 15x5" steelies):

After (General Grabber A/T 235/85r16 mounted on new City Racer 16x5" steelies):

Photos of other 235/85r16 rigs, and specs, led me to believe these would have a smaller outer diameter from the 33x10.5r15 BFGs. But they are almost exactly the same size.

Both measured almost exactly 36" to bottom of fender front and back (these pics were taken with the BFGs):

Width is almost identical as well:

While I didn't succeed in reducing my gearing with a slightly smaller outer diameter, I'm happy with a) the slightly darker gray of the City Racer wheels, because it's more OE, b) the winter/snow rating, c) knowing I'm not on 17-year-old tires, and d) knowing I can find new tires that fit much easier due to the 16" rims.

If anyone in Utah wants my old tires (5x 17 year-old BFG A/T 33x10.5r15s with ~10k miles on them), contact me. I've had them dis-mounted and they are now being stored at a local (Salt Lake City) shop. Happy for someone who wants to use them to just have them; you just have to pick them up.

Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT has a 255/85r17
35x10
Whoa! Thanks for posting this. Ive been looking at tall skinny a/t’s and 255/80r17 seemed to be the best I could find. I would never have searched tires in 255/85/17 size because I didn’t think they existed. Great size and made in USA. I’ve got a little tread left but when it’s gone the Mickey’s May be next.

Manufacturer states 34.6 on their website. Mounted and weighted would of course be less. I haven’t seen any installs of this tire yet. It’s intended for ‘duallies’ but rated for single tire as well.

Manufacturer states 34.6 on their website. Mounted and weighted would of course be less. I haven’t seen any installs of this tire yet. It’s intended for ‘duallies’ but rated for single tire as well.
Thts why i was hoping to find someone tht had actually measured a mounted tire. Seems most tire mfgs are avid fishermen when it comes to measuring. 255/85-17 calculates to a hair over 34. Tht would make this tire one of the few overachievers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom