Builds Tagged '67 LV build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Don, are you planning any heat, sound, or just General undercoating on the LV? I know you are trying to restore to factory standards, but hidden places like the inside of the roof could get some modern coating to cut down on noise and heat.

Thiughts?
Will definitely do something on the underside of roof and possibly something on underside of floors. With your help, have verified that undercoating was factory. Issue with the floors is loss of spot weld detail, etc. if the combination of undercoating and heat/noise coating is too thick. Lots of effort has gone into preserving those details and highlighting generally excellent condition of the underside metal; don't want to loose it. Like always, I want the best of both worlds; in this case thick enough to work, thin enough not to mask. Is there any chance of actually escaping the LV rabbit hole??

It's plating time!

1 - Box of door hardware.jpeg

2 - Miscellaneous hardware.jpeg

3 - IMG_9532.jpeg

Will definitely do something on the underside of roof and possibly something on underside of floors. With your help, have verified that undercoating was factory. Issue with the floors is loss of spot weld detail, etc. if the combination of undercoating and heat/noise coating is too thick. Lots of effort has gone into preserving those details and highlighting generally excellent condition of the underside metal; don't want to loose it. Like always, I want the best of both worlds; in this case thick enough to work, thin enough not to mask. Is there any chance of actually escaping the LV rabbit hole??

1. Roof, inside of doors, lower tailgate and other hidden areas can be coated with thermal and sound barriers because they are hidden.

2. There was undercoating on the underside of the vehicle, underside of the floor can also be coated.

3. Not really sure what to do on the firewall. There is/was an insulation blanket that clip on the firewall but I'm skeptical on its efficacy.

- Maybe coat it on the inside above the line of sight and rely on the insulation for the lower 1/2.
- the issue is how to get a thermal coating to be smooth vs. textured. Most of the products use an undercoat type of gun because of the high viscosity and to get a thick (20 mil ) coating. I always wondered if ceramic spheres could be added to primer to create a thermal barrier ( Ceramic insulating spheres ). It may require several coats, but if it ended up smooth then the top coat would look factory.

Calling on @c2dfj45 and @JLawson to chime in on their experience with coatings on their LV and other builds.

I sprayed on Lizard Skin and it seems to be an effective product. I am not sure you could get it to lay flat enough to approximate a finish. I still want to add floor mats/ carpet with some sort of extra insulation. I do not have my headliner or door cards on and I can still feel the heat from the floor.

I have switched over to Second Skin Audio products for our sound deadening. Excellent product. I have been using their product called Damplifier Pro for our base layer(after rust mitigation of course). On some cars we coat the entire floor, roof, inner door or whatever with the Damplifier.....no metal exposed. On my Troopy we even went so far as to seal the gaps of where the sheets of the Damplifier(which is their variant of a butyl/aluminum stick on sound deadener) with foil tape....zero gaps.

When we get the Damplifier installed to our liking, we top coat with 1-2mm of their product called Spectrum. Spectrum is an all-in-one thermal and sound deadener liquid.....spray it, brush it, roll it, trowel it.....very easy to work with. Water cleanup. Spectrum can be used as undercoating and can have a thickening agent added to it so it will not drip or run....it can be applied with a putty knife...it's that thick. They call that Spectrum Sludge.

My floors in the LV were exposed....so nothing on them other than bedliner on top of the Lizard Skin. Heat is not an issue(if you remember, I coated both the bottom and top of my trans tunnel with Lizard Skin. Very little heat on my truck. Had that goofy gold reflective heat barrier on it too. Maybe that's what makes it reject all the heat. ha.

I think.....if you really wanted to......you could lay that Spectrum on nice and thick, let it cure really well and probably sand off just the top to smooth it down. Maybe drag a skim coat of it back across it to fill in any low spots or voids. Sand again. The more sanding of course, the more you lose of it's properties to insulate and kill sound but you would get a smooth finish. You may be able to use a squeegee to apply it very smooth. It's super easy to work with and no real right or wrong way to do it. Whatever works. We almost never spray it any longer.

On the roof(and a few firewalls)I have been using Second Skin Audio's Heat Wave Pro....which is a jute material with foil on both sides. We use contact adhesive to hold this to the Spectrum. The Heat Wave Pro is great stuff. I did a firewall in one of the 79s and it was great......zero heat in that truck. The factory sound deadener had fallen apart....so we used our butyl stuff, Spectrum, Heat Wave. I would probably do an LV with it but I'd probably install one of the firewall covers on top of it. Just to cover it up.

Second Skin sells a product called Luxury Liner Pro....it's a mass loaded vinyl(MLV) that is amazing. If you're going to do carpet, this is what you want under it. This stuff deadens ALL the noise....incredible. But it requires full coverage...no gaps anywhere and again, you'd want to run carpet on it. We use a lot of this in our builds.

Hope that helps!

I was just wondering ‘what ever happened to Don?’ the other day while I was cleaning a batch of period correct hardware. Great to see you’re still plugging away.😊

I was just wondering ‘what ever happened to Don?’ the other day while I was cleaning a batch of period correct hardware. Great to see you’re still plugging away.😊
Good to hear from you Mark!

Plugging away I am. Likely I'll be hitting you up for a few pieces of that period correct hardware soon. Amazing how often I have 1 of something when needing 2, 3 when needing 4, and on, and on ...

Hey Don! Good to see this still making its way out of the rabbit hole.

I just bought a’66 parts rig two weeks ago. Putting aside more hardware for you.😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom