Tacoma 3400 v-6 in FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

there was a fj 40 in the auburn al/atlanta ga area forsale about 6 years back that someone had swapped the 3.4l taco motor in . it stayed forsale for a year or two. I wonder what happened to that one.

I love that motor and 5 speed trans. fun to drive in the taco application. Ive seen lots of swaps in the 80s runners and pickups but never considered the heavier 40 weight until now. I had a buddy almost 20years ago with the 3.4 in a T100 pre-tundra. It worked for him.

Why does everyone assume the 40 is so much heavier than a Taco and that an engine with more rated torque and HP will not move it effectively.

Stock curb weight of a 40 is something like 3500 pounds or less. Stock curb weight of a Taco, at least 3500 pounds or more. I have a 96 T100 extra cab, it is right around 4000 pounds (real world number). Stock curb weight of the last years of 4runners that had the 3.4, well over 4000 pounds.

I can confirm 1F powered 40 and 2F FJ60 cannot outperform my T100 on the highway. They both run out of power in the top end. Direct comparison, identical grade (local straight hill, 5%, 1mile long), 4th gear in each, the T100 will continue to accelerate and hold 65 or more for entire hill, 60 will try to hold 60 for awhile but falls off to 55 by the top. Best runs with the 1F, 45-50 at the top. The F engines just get wheezy, later model 2F is better than all earlier ones.

Drop the T100 into 3rd and look out, but you are running 4500+ RPM, but she will hold some power there. However, that is the true weak point of the 3.4, it makes all of its best power high in the RPM range, and does okay on light cruise in the lower revs. The F engines will out grunt the 3.4 all day in the low revs driving around in the woods or in town. They just bring on the torque so much earlier. But I know I would not feel comfortable pulling our 4000+ pound camper with an F engine. Pulled 2000+ pounds many times with them, but hills got pretty dicey, power is just not there and you have the F's really overrevedd in 3rd trying to hold any kind of decent speed.

My greatest complaint of the 3.4 is low end torque issue, I have to be very careful with the clutch even with an empty truck. Put a big load behind it and you have to feather the crap out of it to get going on any grade. I use low range alot for that type of work. That is where I miss an F, can pretty much just dump the clutch anytime she will recover and go. But, my T100 is still purring along at 274,000 miles, original clutch even, they are good running engines.

I think it would be a decent swap, but hard due to lack of support. I think an auto from an FJ62 would be a very easy, almost bolt in solution for a disabled individual. Would want to run an FJ60 2F in front of it atleast, it will rob power. On the other hand, Marlin had mentioned working on some adpaters for cruiser transfer cases to minitruck gear, probably didn't have that variant of 3.4 mated auto in mind though.

I put a 3.4 out of a 98 Taco, kept the 5 speed and Tcase flipped and re notched a FJ60 front.
It's great for around town and fantastic in the woods/ desert. It will do 80 easy in the flats even with 37s and 4.88s. I live in the San Juans (big mountains) so pulling big passes at highway speeds it's pretty doggy.

View attachment 2473214View attachment 2473215
reason why you are wanting a V6?

have you driven a 40?
You can fuel inject the F/2F with the sniper kit.

sounds like you are set on an auto?
Reason being 3.4 w/ auto I have a 02 tundra w a3.4 has 214.560 miles on it runs ,drives and and the oil changed every 3,000 miles and no squeaks rattles or any other noise love the gas millage Im in a wheel chair my legs dont work like they should I can walk holding on to things I have not driven a FJ40 I have a 52 willys M-38 w/PTO winch and fording kit 24 volt it will ford 6 ft into water Can`t drive it well I can stopping is the problem Trying to sell it so i can buy an fj40 so i can still have some fun so I can buy FJ40 that u can put dics on it w booster to drive dont know how it would stop Don`t know how long I could hold in the clutch pedal to shift gears either thats why I think I need an auto trans thats why for the V-6 swap to get an auto trans not many FJ s out there w autos I dont know if there are any other FJ out there w/autos least out ther maybe a latter year swap thx Buz Kanz

Does Toyota make a bigger V-6 I could drop into a FJ I put a 110cc Chinese horizonal motor into a handicap scooter that thing does 60 MPH

how bout the front and rear end what does the TRD stand for the Tacoma had psi in the rear ? what year had the spring mounts if I had to relocate them the rear end would be centered and the front would be off set ? would I be able to put disc on the rear ? everybody have safe and happy Halloween from the guy who is a nut buz kan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom