Builds SupraCruza (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Same haha
Fusion 360 is my main, this is blender still getting used to it! Apparently the thing to use for games
Actually, Autodesk Maya is the thing to use for video games. I've been a video game artist for almost 30 years now. Fusion and Blender are good apps but Maya and ZBrush are kings for modeling etc.

Actually, Autodesk Maya is the thing to use for video games. I've been a video game artist for almost 30 years now. Fusion and Blender are good apps but Maya and ZBrush are kings for modeling etc.
Oooo
I’ll have to look into that

Progress is slow but it be that way sometimes
The design for the diff mount is done! So just need to get it cut weld it and plug in some drive shafts and see how much longer they need to be
Close to + 12” tundra LT kit haha

Had to make the mount completely bolt on so it is able to be removed from the front bulkhead
skid is finally getting installed as it will be part of the mounting system
Half inch hardenable steel
Should really transfer some energy into rocks hopefully causing them to explode on impact
DB62591F-B64A-4D03-9DD6-BCD98AA853E1.jpeg

4E41BA3C-9FEA-454B-B0D6-71E3D3E0599F.jpeg
07D4DCAC-80BA-49BD-85D6-232C04E9C86E.jpeg

Oooo
I’ll have to look into that
Maya would be better suited for what you’re doing but it isn’t an app that is designed for producing parts like something like Solidworks. It’s the staple for 3D visuals for film and video game hard surface modeling and animation.
ZBrush is better suited for more organic models. We use ZBrush almost exclusively for the game characters we create. It’s more of sculpting simulator in how it behaves. The interface is quite different from a lot of what you’d be used to with other 3D software.

Maya would be better suited for what you’re doing but it isn’t an app that is designed for producing parts like something like Solidworks. It’s the staple for 3D visuals for film and video game hard surface modeling and animation.
ZBrush is better suited for more organic models. We use ZBrush almost exclusively for the game characters we create. It’s more of sculpting simulator in how it behaves. The interface is quite different from a lot of what you’d be used to with other 3D software.
That’s awesome! I’ll have to check that out maybe I have access through work to try it out!

Have really been looking into finding the optimal route here for cv axles
If you asked me a yesterday I would have said RCV
The day before I was thinking full custom and nothing but the best parts
And before that cheap axles with custom length shafts
Unfortunately none of these options are cheap enough or nice enough to justify a selection
I have stumbled upon these weird looking Napa extended travel shafts
I am thinking that maybe I can get these to work with a little extra effort
47 degrees is a lot out of these things
Only issue is making them longer

RCV have boot issues from what I can tell
A warranty doesn’t help me when I’m on a trail

Solo looks really nice but the inners don’t have enough travel imo
And to fix them it’s another 1000 ish dollars

Or I can get these Napa shafts and make them longer and carry 2 spares

Not really glued to any of the options but at least the 3d scanner helped make this mount
583D2A1B-88B9-41B9-B9F8-161F75AE34EF.jpeg
3C9F90C3-B93E-4121-994D-10566EB070E4.png
11BFE7F9-F64A-4579-8518-9AF70C8D4505.png
477EE035-E484-4C21-98AC-9FBA78FA2D57.png
D24FFD2C-2864-4C24-8288-E04AB920DB9E.jpeg

Always wanted to have a play with maya but just never had the chance.

Just realised your handle, you do all the cool renders in IG, right?

Have really been looking into finding the optimal route here for cv axles
If you asked me a yesterday I would have said RCV
The day before I was thinking full custom and nothing but the best parts
And before that cheap axles with custom length shafts
Unfortunately none of these options are cheap enough or nice enough to justify a selection
I have stumbled upon these weird looking Napa extended travel shafts
I am thinking that maybe I can get these to work with a little extra effort
47 degrees is a lot out of these things
Only issue is making them longer

RCV have boot issues from what I can tell
A warranty doesn’t help me when I’m on a trail

Solo looks really nice but the inners don’t have enough travel imo
And to fix them it’s another 1000 ish dollars

Or I can get these Napa shafts and make them longer and carry 2 spares

Not really glued to any of the options but at least the 3d scanner helped make this mount View attachment 3226666View attachment 3226668View attachment 3226669View attachment 3226675View attachment 3226676
Those nappa CVs sure look interesting... we don't get any cool stuff like that down our way!

@Landbender

What is your workflow with the 3D scanner? Is it accurate enough to place all the holes with? Or do you use it to import the general shape of an object and then measure the holes/critical features to make sure they line up? Or something else?

Love the build!
With the 3d scanner it Depends on size There are two modes
The “feature” and used with markers is the best for larger objects and higher accuracy
You can get away with body

More complicated explanation
The revpoint relies on volume over accuracy
Nicer scanners are inherently way more accurate and precise thus less points
The revpoint takes many many more samples and uses post processing to do some averaging of all of the points.
For bigger parts I used body to get a general shape and create my own mesh of features with a tape measure to determine the accuracy of the scan after adding the feature scans

Best workflow I have found
Use body to get a general shape in the computer
Scans start at a feature and draw lines between features, goal is to keep at least one feature in the scan at all times otherwise the scan is worthless
After the body scans I do feature scans to get details

Unfortunately the scans are dense with points and only an average of what was scanned, which is done in post after the scanning is complete
From there it is combing scans into one big one
When moving to CAD it is pretty hard on a computer as larger scans are almost impossible to move around and reference. I usually remesh/reduce to around 10% in fusion 360 so it’s not loading the whole time. After that I use mesh section sketches to determine faces and do drawings and bodies

There are a lot of different ways to do it
But this is the fastest way I have found to get to where I want

Lathe is on the way to pump out axles😂
It was all about the same cost unfortunately so I picked having a new tool again.
Also finished cutting everything for the front diff mount. The Napa axles do exist so that’s what I’m going to do. Should be able to get 5 more inches of travel out of the front assuming nothing else binds. They should make a good fuse for the front diff
1CDDF15D-5CE2-49D1-A916-D760A1FD205A.jpeg

First off road trip
Dates are locked in feb 25-26th at Disney
Lathe is in to make these shafts longer don’t have time to do anything fancy so .25” wall dom will have to do. Decided to go ahead and make a spare
Nasty oil leaks have been found. And need to fix them
Front diff is mounted😎
Driveshafts FITS maybe an inch longer would be cool but I might just run it
20” bumped and strapped is looking great
Oh and I got one of those badlands floor jacks, so worth it. Decently light and the big wheels are clutch
6D659540-4019-4869-9448-3D6D3B0A9085.jpeg
0858B174-C01B-478D-A388-6CE812790E11.jpeg
1CF23352-A5BB-4A59-A0C8-3FF20F499F72.jpeg

Honestly these axles are going to be straighter than they were to start
Didn’t even need to gauge them to see that they weren’t straight at all
Machining the actual axles takes forever but progress is progress
F4C8DE38-E101-4425-B6C5-4FFC482F5B0B.jpeg
137D1E52-E01C-4E46-972B-398E007D92AE.jpeg

Me explaining that I want the shafts to break instead of the joints after putting a dozen hours into them with and the entire axles were 70$ on Amazon😂
780171D1-A1A6-44AA-9050-145024800C52.jpeg

Probably should have taken a base line
But looks good enough to me

Finally understanding why the damn bolts are coming loose on the steering box.
Bolts were still strong did a test against a new bolt to see if they were stretched and as far as I could tell they were just as strong

So I drew it up on paper suuuuper dumbed down but that’s all I needed
Makes way more sense now
Because the steering arm is rotated 90* for the swing set steering it works the box side to side instead of against away from the frame and because of this it eventually loosens the bolts

Soooo I’m adding this clamp thing to hopefully help keep it more centered and might add a cap to it as well to completely lock it down

It will eventually be hydro but till then this will work
855B9AF3-6774-4DAF-97C3-95105E79CCC7.jpeg
8C6ACABD-5028-4A10-B733-264E52E44E3F.jpeg

Officially 3wd
Crazy how much longer these are than the tundras
Lots of 4runner people do custom LT
Most of them seem to focus on one number…. Crazy. Might be talked into a basic TY video after testing my own to see how I did.
4AEDC009-1971-4D74-B11D-5FCE43981211.jpeg
B7B35497-9325-4D0B-A29C-4B48DD8778FE.jpeg

Back on all 4
I went way higher and teetered it with the tire almost on the top of the hill. Insane
need to finish the parking brake to get a good picture
137A52F7-0333-4DC3-B738-261B68798264.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom