Supercharger: Yes or No? Opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was able to source a brand new TRD supercharger. My 96 LX450 has about 180k miles on it. The headgasket along w/a bunch of other stuff (cooling system, head decked, injectors cleaned, etc.) were replaced 50K miles ago by Robbie. I've also rebuilt both axles in the last 30k miles. Currently stock gearing and 285 GY DTs w/ARB front bumper, winch and sliders. This summer I plan to upgrade to 4.88s, 35s, 4x4Labs rear bumper and FR roof rack.

Question is currently the engine feels pretty strong. When I go to 35s and re-gear, should that be enough for most daily driving and overlanding or should I put the supercharger on? I want to preserve reliability which is why I'm hesitating on the SC.

Anybody have opinions from their experiences w/the supercharger (before and after)? Would you do it again?

Thanks in advance. Rich

I use to work with Robbie so I've driven few different combos. I driven the super charger on 4.5 wasn't that impressed did it have some get up, yes. I've also driven a 4.5!bored to 4.6 with port polish on head. I was way more impressed with that over the charger. I'm on 5.29s 37 tires with 4.5 and I have no problem climbing i70 and wheeling here in the Rockies. I will go 4.6 on the engine I'm building. To me the charger adds more stuff in your way and other minor issues, is it worth the price you pay for it plus install unless your doing it? Got to run premium gas also so if that goes up that will suck. As far as your engine just having upper in re done you'd probably be just fine. Re gear on 4.88 and 35s be bout same as wear your at now, 5.29s and 35 very peppy but you'll hate it on hwy

My 80 had the TRD Kazuma charger, installed by the PO, thus I can't comment on how much of a difference adding it will make. That said, I would not want to have been without it. It is also a heavy beast, armored, with 4.88's and 35's, and it still did great both on and off road. Plenty of power, but not as much torque as my 1HD-FT, which simply pulls stumps. My only complaint was the dismal fuel consumption, which was often in the single digits.

If you have it, go for it. The S/C should not have any issues with the service and work that you have already done on your truck. If it does not meet your expectations, you can always take it off and sell it to another party.

I've run my supercharger for 100,000+ miles living at altitude, and now, at sea level. No problems. Beforehand, I could not get over 30 mph on eastbound Vail Pass on I70, on stock gears, 33s, manually shifting, fully loaded with gear and dogs -- mods in my signature. Now, 60 mph to 80 mph is easy, depending on my weight.

I will say, summer heat soak may/can be an issue: Paso Robles, Death Valley, Bishop, Grapevine here in California.

The SC does not make the 80 "fast", it just allows it to keep up in traffic.

Thx everyone for your replies.

I've run my supercharger for 100,000+ miles living at altitude, and now, at sea level. No problems. Beforehand, I could not get over 30 mph on eastbound Vail Pass on I70, on stock gears, 33s, manually shifting, fully loaded with gear and dogs -- mods in my signature. Now, 60 mph to 80 mph is easy, depending on my weight.

I will say, summer heat soak may/can be an issue: Paso Robles, Death Valley, Bishop, Grapevine here in California.

The SC does not make the 80 "fast", it just allows it to keep up in traffic.

FiftyTwoEighty,
can you elaborate about your Cali heat comment? I'm in NorCal so going to Tahoe and Pacific NW I have to climb some good grades and summertime is when I drive the 80 the most. Is overheating a problem w/having the SC?

I'll take your supercharger if its collecting dust. :)

I put on one mine last spring/summer. My 97 LX450 has 165k miles on it. I had the head rebuilt, along with the injectors, new head gasket, etc.

The truck has much more power then it did before. It gets worse mileage but not by much (Hey - going from 15 to 12 isn't THAT big of a drop). It runs hotter then it used to and requires premium gas. It's way cheaper than a V8 conversion, no matter what they tell you. I am running 31" tires, going to 33" when they wear out. Stock gearing. Not a lot of armor, but do have winch bumper and drawer system.

Best advice for overheating is to make sure your cooling system is in good shape and then remove the Ultragage scanner so you can't monitor it. Saves a lot of mental anguish.

Last edited:
I'd do it again. I agree that it won't make you fast but it lets you keep up with traffic in the mountains. I'd probably think differently if I rock crawled alot in 100 degree heat, but for a daily driver/ski mobile/camping rig I don't have any problems.

I am going rockcrawling in Moab in April (Easter Jeep Safari). I will monitor my temps and see how it does. Outside Air Temp likely to be around 72deg F.

I like our S/Ced rigs - we bought then that way, so cannot comment on before/after

as far as cooling: I upgraded thickness of fluid in fan clutches (switched the LX to a black hub clutch), switched to finned 3FE fans, made sure cooling systems are in great shape, put foam in the space between body and radiator . . .

our LX lives and wheels in Phoenix and is able to do it even in the dead heat of summer without overheating - our 80 has no problems at all in Baton Rouge

FiftyTwoEighty,
can you elaborate about your Cali heat comment? I'm in NorCal so going to Tahoe and Pacific NW I have to climb some good grades and summertime is when I drive the 80 the most. Is overheating a problem w/having the SC?

To be clear, I have not overheated. Just make sure your cooling is up to snuff and you will be good.

My heat soak comment is just something you need to be aware of on some of the longer grades on hotter days. And really, heat soak refers to the intake air temps robbing power. I run an UltraGuage to monitor my temps.

Last edited:
I bought truck with the supercharger already installed. It's been on for 100k, (truck has 252 k now) seems very reliable with decent power.

It only makes like 4 psi of boost and is not intercooled so it's not going to be a power house. Discharged compressed air is hot. You could get a meth injection setup or an intercooler setup then turn the boost up for more power later on if you need more.

It sounds like you're ready for the supercharger because you already have the head gasket done. Tearing down the engine to port and polish the head and rebuild for .1 more displacement seems silly. Not to mention much more costly.

Maybe someone will be nice and let you drive their supercharged rig so you can feel the difference? I only have the stock 4.1 gearing with 295/75/16 tires but you can drive it sometime if you live around Westminster. I'm actually curious about what a non-supercharged rig feels like.

I'm all over northern California and the Sierras. I have an SC with meth injection. Also regeared to 4.88s with 35" tires.

The good news: it hauls ass compared to regular FJ/FJZ80s. It will do 95 on a flat highway if there's no wind and the temp is low.

The bad news: I'm having real world issues with overheating and having my timing pulled. Climbing Donner Pass means it'll pass the 18 wheel rigs but does slog down still on the steeper inclines. In the dead of summer I really have to watch out, as I had the timing pushed out to the limit and dropped the pulley size way down. It was throwing dets until I backed off on the timing. Also ran into the issue of over pressurizing my crankcase and blew the dipstick into the hood insulation (and spewed black smoke out the exhaust pipe) halfway up to Tahoe in July. Good times. I also think the SC *may* be overpowering my fuel pump.

Fast forward to now... I strongly recommend getting an IC and a snorkel. That's where I'm going next to deal with the temperature issues. Also, if you do decide to go meth, do NOT use windshield washer fluid unless you like to have blue-green scum gumming up your SC, intake, and everything else. Go with straight meth that you can buy at a race fuel outlet. Other items on my to-do list include replacing the fuel pump and the fuel injectors. Already did the fuel filter. Been having issues with mild hesitation on hills between 2 to 3k RPMs.

PS- I've never actually overheated due to the SC. What happens is my power disappears on inclines in the summer as my timing is pulled thanks to the heat.

PPS- I've seen absolutely ZERO change in performance with the meth kit and regret getting it in the first place. I think the only thing it has helped with is to keep my engine from detonating because I'm running 7 PSI with a smaller pulley along with advanced timing. Advanced timing that gets yanked by the ECU when the engine gets too hot in the summertime...

I feel like I'm talking in circles.

PS- I've never actually overheated due to the SC. What happens is my power disappears on inclines in the summer as my timing is pulled thanks to the heat.

PPS- I've seen absolutely ZERO change in performance with the meth kit and regret getting it in the first place. I think the only thing it has helped with is to keep my engine from detonating because I'm running 7 PSI with a smaller pulley along with advanced timing. Advanced timing that gets yanked by the ECU when the engine gets too hot in the summertime...

I feel like I'm talking in circles.

how small of a pulley are you running? what methanol kit are you running?

Also, if you do decide to go meth, do NOT use windshield washer fluid unless you like to have blue-green scum gumming up your SC, intake, and everything else. Go with straight meth that you can buy at a race fuel outlet.

Yes, do not use over-the-counter washer fluid for chemical-intercooling...but please do NOT use straight Methanol, as you risk burning your rig to the ground. Get a five gallon container of straight Methanol, but you will need to use distilled water to get the mixture to under 50% alcohol by weight, not volume...thus mixing 50% Methanol with 50% Water by volume will net a safe <50% mixture. Over 50% and you risk your vehicle and your life.

Confusion about mixing methanol/water

Water-Methanol Gas FAQ

Water/Meth mixing for dummies chart - Mazdaspeed Forums

Pop the supercharger on before you regear. I feel that it gives you the power you need to reduce significantly the sluggish starts when you put on bigger tires.

You pointed out you just did head gasket, so you should be good to go.

I use to work with Robbie so I've driven few different combos. I driven the super charger on 4.5 wasn't that impressed did it have some get up, yes. I've also driven a 4.5!bored to 4.6 with port polish on head. I was way more impressed with that over the charger. I'm on 5.29s 37 tires with 4.5 and I have no problem climbing i70 and wheeling here in the Rockies. I will go 4.6 on the engine I'm building. To me the charger adds more stuff in your way and other minor issues, is it worth the price you pay for it plus install unless your doing it? Got to run premium gas also so if that goes up that will suck. As far as your engine just having upper in re done you'd probably be just fine. Re gear on 4.88 and 35s be bout same as wear your at now, 5.29s and 35 very peppy but you'll hate it on hwy
Sorry to hijack, but what did you bore over to get 4.6? Did you do anything else performance wise in the build? I ask, cause I'm just pulling mine to do a rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom