Super firm shift after transmission rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems that pretty much my every second post says this, but sounds like you need to get a new mechanic, someone who has some idea about cruisers.
I second this, I wouldn't trust anything this shop did, if they are lying to you about replacing throttle cables, they probably didn't swap out the valve bodies and certainly didn't do the solenoids. These are not terribly complicated trucks, you just need a shop that will methodically work through the problem.

Anyone knows how exactly the throttle cable needs to be put in place? Can’t find any mm or inch descriptions. Even not sure if that’s the solution.

It's in post #3:

80-series Throttle Adjustment - Land Cruiser Tech from IH8MUD.com - https://www.ih8mud.com/tech/80throttle.php.

1627050978292.png

Also see: HELP! A442f throttle adjustments - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/help-a442f-throttle-adjustments.479173/

1627051657227.png

Last edited:
Does anyone else's Cruiser shift at that low of an RPM with that amount of throttle? Seems from the video that the shift point is very low.

Seems from the video that the shift point is very low.

From you picture it looks like the new cables don't come with a bead? If the shift point is to low then the cable is too loose--from some other threads:

"If it upshifts too fast, add a turn or two of tension.
If it shifts at too high an RPM or shifts are jerkey/rough....loosen a couple of turns.

It took me a few tries to dial it in where I wanted it."

"Adjust the cable so that the bead is about 1 - 2 mm from the stop (orange boot).

Tighter = later harder shifts
Looser = early soft shifts

Early soft shifts are hard on the clutches in the trans, as there is too much flaring and clutch rubbing.

Firm shifts are what you want.

The adjustment can be quite sensitive to slight changes."

Replaced that cable. It came with a new bead in the parts bag. It was not attached to the cable. Lost it and have adjusted it without the bead.
Read and followed a ToolsRus post.

Thank you everybody for all the advice and input!! Stoked to have this platform!!!

I just went to Noah Baldwin today and he had a look at it. We also saw that the new cable doesn’t have a bead. So we compared the threads on each side and try to adjust it in the same way on my Cruiser.

I instantly noticed that the shifting point was on higher RPMS. I drove it for an hour back. (btw the altenator broke just before i was taking off 😬) While i turned into the driveway on low speed, a little down the hill, i gave it a go. I let off the pedal in gear 2nd and BANG…

The only outcome now is, i am pretty sure that the noise is located more in the engine bay or front axle. I am going back to what WCBlueSky said, and check my joints tomorrow.

Also Noah found the cruise controlle cable wired up in cc-compartment. The freakin guys from Leon’s even didn’t bother to put it back on. I am curious what they really did and not 🤔

The A442F is quite reliable and rarely needs a rebuild. When there are shifting issues I would do this in order:
  1. Make sure there is the correct amount of tranny fluid as measured on the dipstick when hot and idling.
  2. Adjust the "kickdown" cable, see 80-series Throttle Adjustment - Land Cruiser Tech from IH8MUD.com - https://www.ih8mud.com/tech/80throttle.php.
  3. Replace the shift solenoids in the valve body, see Transmission solenoids 1993 TLC - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/transmission-solenoids-1993-tlc.1182887/. Can use Isuzu solenoids which are the exact same OEM part but much cheaper than Toyota.
Are you sure it is the transmission? One time my drive shaft needed greasing and would clunk/lurch in certain situations.

I checked the driveshaft: Car was in neutral and i try to figure out if the play seems alright. Here is a Video:
The A442F is quite reliable and rarely needs a rebuild. When there are shifting issues I would do this in order:
  1. Make sure there is the correct amount of tranny fluid as measured on the dipstick when hot and idling.
  2. Adjust the "kickdown" cable, see 80-series Throttle Adjustment - Land Cruiser Tech from IH8MUD.com - https://www.ih8mud.com/tech/80throttle.php.
  3. Replace the shift solenoids in the valve body, see Transmission solenoids 1993 TLC - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/transmission-solenoids-1993-tlc.1182887/. Can use Isuzu solenoids which are the exact same OEM part but much cheaper than Toyota.
Are you sure it is the transmission? One time my drive shaft needed greasing and would clunk/lurch in certain situations.
I just went under the car and had a look at the driveshaft. I going to attach a video. If someone can tell me if the play is O.K. or if there is too much play. The noise is definitely coming from that area, but with more moment and force it might sound different.

That looks like normal gear backlash in the differential. You are more looking for play in the u-joints/slip yoke. Some good advice in this thread:

"Make sure there is no axial or lateral play in the 2 drive shaft slip yolks. Make sure there is no play in the 4 universal joints."

Have you checked drive flanges yet, they do start to strip out and get noisy
After driving around for a good week and the truck being at Leon‘s Transmission the 4th time, it’s a noise from the tranny….
It still exactly does it when i accelerate super slow and the shifts gear 2nd to 3rd super hard.
I adjusted the shifting point a couple times, no positive outcome.
The shop also told me, that the valve bodies just get refurbished. There are no new valve bodies on the market. The valve bodies + valves are aluminum, which expands different to the metal of the tranny.
The noise, that’s cause from the super hard shift is caused by the high pressure that’s build up in the valves…. That’s their explanation.

After driving around for a good week and the truck being at Leon‘s Transmission the 4th time, it’s a noise from the tranny….
It still exactly does it when i accelerate super slow and the shifts gear 2nd to 3rd super hard.
The shop also told me, that the valve bodies just get refurbished. There are no new valve bodies on the market. The valve bodies + valves are aluminum, which expands different to the metal of the tranny.
The noise, that’s cause from the super hard shift is caused by the high pressure that’s build up in the valves…. That’s their explanation.
Rubbish! Find a new shop. What do they think the transmission case etc is made from? I wouldn't allow that shop to work on my lawnmower...

Transmissions, especially Aisin ones. have what's known as an accumulator, designed to soften shifts. There's no way your accumulators on an A442 are that worn out that new seals in a refurbished valve body are unable to reseal them. They're not a high wear item, find a new shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom