Suggestions on getting rid of gas fumes in garage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since my garage is my man cave and we spend a lot of time in it since it really is a cool space that we put a lot of time and money into. However, I store my restored FG-40 in there and the gas fumes sometimes get to be hard to deal with so I have to pull it out and then the truck gets weathered. Is there some kind of old-school remedy to get rid of gas fumes?

My cigar air purifier with multiple charcoal filtration‘s is not helping.
I am about to install a high CFM exhaust fan which is a remote fan under the foundation of the house to pole heavy cigar smoke out when the boys are over watching games but I can’t leave that on too long because it will suck out the air conditioning in the room from my mini split. So that only comes on every so often when needed.

Year of your 40?

Stock F-series engine?

Stock carb and fuel pump?

Charcoal cannister intact?

De-smogged or emissions equipment intact?

Last time the rubber portions of the fuel lines were replaced?

Year of your 40?

Stock F-series engine?

Stock carb and fuel pump?

Charcoal cannister intact?

De-smogged or emissions equipment intact?

Last time the rubber portions of the fuel lines were replaced?
77 with a rebuilt 86’ 2F
Stock carb and fuel pump
no canister
De-smogged
all fuel lines in engine bay are new. Fuel lines leading up to tank look great

do you smell gas?
I would say yes. I would say its a byproduct of being driven. Not strong as if you poured gas on the garage floor

77 with a rebuilt 86’ 2F
Stock carb and fuel pump
no canister
De-smogged
all fuel lines in engine bay are new. Fuel lines leading up to tank look great

well there it is.
where is the fuel separator plumbed to?

no canister

That is why.

There are also some short-ish rubber hoses that connect the steel fuel lines, between the frame and the engine compartment; these are well-known to get get brittle and leak after 40 years.

I’ll have to research how to install a canister

If that doesn’t resolve it, I’d also pull the tank and check for pin leaks under it, check the connections, and sender gasket as previously mentioned.

There shouldn’t be any noticeable gas smell.

Fuel mixture could also be too rich.

Note, be sure there is a check valve in the fuel evaporator line. If not, you have an open system, fuel tank to atmosphere....hence raw fuel smell.

I've store mine inside for years and never had a powerful gas odor. Not normal. I would look for a leak somewhere on the top of the tank or a vent line on the filler that is open to atmosphere.

I've store mine inside for years and never had a powerful gas odor. Not normal. I would look for a leak somewhere on the top of the tank or a vent line on the filler that is open to atmosphere.

Mine is in the garage and has no evap system/charcoal canister and there is no fuel smell

Has the steel tank been replaced with a poly tank? Mine had a poly tank, I think that created a lot of gas smells in the cabin, but I never really noticed anything outside the vehicle

FWIW: Recently working on my broken fuel separator/evaporator, I took my charcoal cannister out of the system to purge/replace the charcoal. Upon removal, I just set the 45 year old (200K mile +/-) cannister on my work bench without thinking much about it. The following day, I went into my shop and there was a horrible fuel smell. I immediately knew what it was, so I set the cannister outside to purge for a few days. Now it is sealed up in a large ziplock bag till I feel like tending too it.

Note, without the charcoal cannister and my fuel tank venting to atmosphere, I don't have any fuel smell in my shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom