Substitute Carburetor for F Engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a new carburetor for my 1970 FJ with and F-engine. I have been able to find any online. Are there any easy swaps? I read that the F-engine is a copy of the Chevy 235 I-6 engine. Will the 235 carb fit on the F-engine?

I need a new carburetor for my 1970 FJ with and F-engine. I have been able to find any online. Are there any easy swaps? I read that the F-engine is a copy of the Chevy 235 I-6 engine. Will the 235 carb fit on the F-engine?
should be able to use this one:

Read the entire description, in order to use this with an F engine, you need to do something different to adapt your throttle cable.

If you have the original carb and it's intact, best to have it rebuilt. New are available but *may* require modification to throttle linkage and Air Cleaner system depending on what you already have and what has been previously buggered or removed, etc ...

Pix would help.

Best rebuilders:

Burbank, CA

Lancaster, OH

Last edited:
I would look into just installing the Holley Sniper 2300. It's a nice upgrade

That's a bit harsh ^ :geek:

Simple as they are, there's a lot of stuff that can be wrong with these early soft-body carbs, including PO FUBAR'd stuff. The beauty of having a pro do it is they've got a wall of cores to pilfer missing or broken parts, as well as fixing warped Air Horns, etc and the experience of tweaking these old carbs to run better on modern crap gasoline.

A lot of the old LC's here in Papua New Guinea had Strombergs on them. I have been unable to prove one way or the other if they came that way or it the Stromberg was just a locally popular modification. I have a couple of them, one of them on a running F-135 I have on an engine stand.

PIX !

Okay fine:
IMG_3990cr.jpg

IMG_3992cr.jpg

IMG_3994cr.jpg
IMG_3998cr.jpg

It's a pretty legit install, doesn't look like the usual home brewed solutions cobbled together by gold miners, coffee growers or missionaries that I have seen around here from that era. If the ones sold in New Guinea were originally equipped with something else, none of those have survived. All I've ever seen have been these old Strombergs.

Very kool. Maybe some of the gurus will know if it's unique to Oceania.

Thanks for posting!

Very kool. Maybe some of the gurus will know if it's unique to Oceania.

Thanks for posting!

The red bracket you see in the second photo is a later mod. When I first got this engine it was in a '65 LC (FJ45? Not enough of the original truck was left to be able to tell), that had been hacked up into a make-shift fire-engine and was in use at a local airstrip. I think that was part of a hand throttle mechanism that (IIRC) was controlled with an old airplane throttle control knob. One of the nuts used to hold it in place looks like old style AN hardware, which is a pretty good clue that missionary aviation guys were involved in the modifications, or that somebody was harvesting AN hardware from local WWII airstrips, which is also possible--a lot of that was going on here in the '70's, which is when the fire engine mod happened. Anyway, that's an example of one of the "home brewed solutions" I was talking about.

Last edited:
As additional background, I got my FJ in Paraguay while posted with the U.S. Embassy. The placard says it’s a 40 but the chassis is a 43. So the body was cut and lengthened. It came with an Isuzu diesel. To import it to the US I had to put the original engine in it. The carburetor isn’t original and it has some “customizations” that are less than optimal. I drove it from the shop onto the shippers truck but ever since it was delivered to me in the states it won’t run. I’d like to slap a carburetor on it and get running. Thanks all for the leads. I’ll run them down.

As additional background, I got my FJ in Paraguay while posted with the U.S. Embassy. The placard says it’s a 40 but the chassis is a 43. So the body was cut and lengthened. It came with an Isuzu diesel. To import it to the US I had to put the original engine in it. The carburetor isn’t original and it has some “customizations” that are less than optimal. I drove it from the shop onto the shippers truck but ever since it was delivered to me in the states it won’t run. I’d like to slap a carburetor on it and get running. Thanks all for the leads. I’ll run them down.

Those Isuzu diesels can be found everywhere. The Australian military put them in their Land Rover Defenders, I've seen at least one old Land Rover Series III truck here with one in it, I knew a guy in Peru who bought a kit to put one in a WWII Jeep, but then my Dad ended up using it to power a generator instead. Heck, I even worked on one in NC that was in a little Isuzu sports car! Good engines.

One last thing--if it will fit, the Rochester B Model carb that was used on the old Chevy inline 6 (also on WWII CCKW's) might be a good option to consider. I intend to get one some time for another vehicle I have. And let's not forget the good ol' Carter YF! Used in a lot of Jeeps, a super simple carb and easy to support. I'm sure there's a Weber that would suit your application as well, I've got a couple of those on old Land Rovers. If you're looking to adapt something, steer clear of anything inteneded for a vehicle made after about 1972, when all the emissions crap started being added on.

I'm working on a system for your need, as I want to make use of an F-manifold. Basically, a simple air cleaner element assembly, so you can use the F-manifold with a 2F-type-Aisan-style carb. You will need the insulator spacer for the F-manifold, and a means of hooking up the throttle cable to a throttle lever - right now Specter Off-Road has a '73 'bellcrank' (part 042-66B-U) which is probably the easiest route I know. I hope you have an OEM fuel pump, as electric pumps are a bit of an uncertainty.

Carb swaps for F or 2F is generally not recommended, and is probably a downgrade. Toyota used a vacuum controls on the secondary that keeps the upper throttle range in harmony with the engine.

You must not look very closely. There are a ton of repop China carbs for sale on Ebay. I have used one with great results. Plus it's cheap enough to try.
I partly opened one (Amazon) up last night. I found the gasket between the throttle casting and the insulator was interrupting the flow to the idle circuits. Also, those screws that held that together were not torqued enough, something to look for. The gasket wasn't placed correctly between the secondary diaphragm and the bowl casting. There appears to be particulate in the bowl, but, I can't open the bowl as it is set with some kind of monster gasket that has this white powdery adhesive stuff all over the place; I'll have to use a bit more work, but you can see it thru the jet access plugs. The pump plunger lever was bent, as was the throttle lever from shipping. The base casting is aluminum, and there is going to be a vac leak eventually, unlike the iron casting one on my '75. I'm curious if it will take a Keyster rebuild kit, so I can look over more of this bowl and air horn? Teq for the boot plunger, and perhaps swapping the idle cut solenoid.

I never said the China carbs might not have issues but, I have bought 2 and had good results with both. I figured since a carb kit is about $50......i did not have much to lose on a complete carb for $75.
I took the chance and it worked.....results may very.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom