Stuck torque converter…help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m pulling the trans and tcase as a unit from my 96 landcruiser. 1FZ and A343, usual spec. All the bolts are out, all connectors disconnected, followed the FSM directions. The trans absolutely refuses to separate from the motor. Pulling it from the crossmember mount to the frame with a come along I can get about an inch of daylight on all sides. The TC doesn’t seem to want to release at the snout, and doesn’t want to pull out of the pump either. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure you got the two bolts up top? I have disassembled a few out of the engine bay and they separate fairly easy usually the torque converter wants to say with the flex plate.

Have dropped the transmission mount a bit to release some tension? Or taken the bolts for the tranny mount out along with the Tranny cross member?

Did you unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate?

trying to remove the transmission with the torque converter still bolted to the flexplate is a great way to damage the converter.

Are you sure you got the two bolts up top? I have disassembled a few out of the engine bay and they separate fairly easy usually the torque converter wants to say with the flex plate.
Thanks brother! I had cracked the top passenger bolt loose with a breaker bar and run it out with my 3/8 impact, so I thought. 🥴 Got it fully removed and trans is on the floor of the shop. Job 50% complete. 😁

trying to remove the transmission with the torque converter still bolted to the flexplate is a great way to damage the converter.
Those six bolts were all present and accounted for. My mistake was the fsm says ten trans bolts and I counted the one starter bolt that doesn’t do double duty among them. No harm done and the TC came out with the trans with no drama.

Those six bolts were all present and accounted for. My mistake was the fsm says ten trans bolts and I counted the one starter bolt that doesn’t do double duty among them. No harm done and the TC came out with the trans with no drama.
Thanks brother! I had cracked the top passenger bolt loose with a breaker bar and run it out with my 3/8 impact, so I thought. 🥴 Got it fully removed and trans is on the floor of the shop. Job 50% complete. 😁
Nice work!

Nice work!
Thanks! Please ignore the disastrous shape of my shop currently. 😂 300k miles of oil leaks turns a trans to stealth mode.

IMG_5834.jpeg

So much room and inside, I'm jealous, those few leaves on the floor are nothing to apologize for.

Good job.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom