Torque Converter Issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 97 1FZFE new OEM short block and redone head with Wits End turbo. Trans shifts fine between gears and will kick down fine when jump on gas pedal. Issue: even when shifter is manually put in low, it takes a long time to get power to the wheels. VERY sluggish. Will eventually get to speed but my other 80s without new engines and without turbo are way faster from stop to cruising speed. I’m thinking torque converter is not translating power to transmission? Thoughts and things to try?

is the engine revving up, but no power to go anywhere?

Could also be stripped front drive flanges so you're working on smoking the viscous coupler in the transfer case.

The torque converter is two fans that spin separately in a hydrauic oil bath, until lockup, when they spin together. The torque converter doesn't lock up before 48 mph:
1689208983405.png

In order to diagnose the transmission, you need to use the FSM (RM479U), pages AT-46 to AT-49 & AT-52 to AT-56 - it's in the Resources section. The 1995 - 1997 A343F transmissions are all the same. Your problem, if it's the transmission, sounds more likely to be pressure related, which is what the road, mechanical and hydraulic tests in those sections will tell you.

However, if you've recently installed the engine, your problem could be as simple as a misadjusted throttle cable. The procedures for checking and adjusting that are in the same FSM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom