Build Stretched 1-Ton FJ40

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great! Maybe you will inspire me to start on mine.

That may be one reason why I didn’t buy yours 😉. Your setup would be cool painted as is with a platform for a bed inside and pullout drawers for a kitchen and supplies. Perhaps a small rack on top for gear. Just think about how cool that would be to have on the Rubicon Trail.
 
So, what's the plan so far?
Is it important for it to have the same track width as the truck?
Keeping the pintle hitch? I would think that'd be a great hitch for articulation but wonder if it'd be noisy/clunky on the trail?
Swapping for a 8 lug hubs?
 
That may be one reason why I didn’t buy yours 😉. Your setup would be cool painted as is with a platform for a bed inside and pullout drawers for a kitchen and supplies. Perhaps a small rack on top for gear. Just think about how cool that would be to have on the Rubicon Trail.
Yeah you could have done me a favor but just today my wife asked me me if I am going to do something with it. Now is the time to build it. She is expecting it anyway.
 
So, what's the plan so far?
Is it important for it to have the same track width as the truck?
Keeping the pintle hitch? I would think that'd be a great hitch for articulation but wonder if it'd be noisy/clunky on the trail?
Swapping for a 8 lug hubs?
Ya I would rather have one of the fancy off road couplers that don’t rattle.
IMO it’s equally important is the wheel base from the rear tires of the tow reg to the tires of the trailer is the same as the tow reg wheel base as it is to have the same width.
That way the tire of the trailer will follow in the same tracks.

But plenty of trailer don’t do either 🤔
 
So, what's the plan so far?
Is it important for it to have the same track width as the truck?
Keeping the pintle hitch? I would think that'd be a great hitch for articulation but wonder if it'd be noisy/clunky on the trail?
Swapping for a 8 lug hubs?

I am planning to keep the pintle pitch for now. The pencil ring has a nice swivel belt into it and the ring and hook are pretty tight so we’ll see how loud it is Off-road. So far it made quite the horrendous noise going into my driveway, which brought me back to my days working at caterpillar.

Yeah you could have done me a favor but just today my wife asked me me if I am going to do something with it. Now is the time to build it. She is expecting it anyway.

Ha ha! Sounds like the race is on.
 
Ya I would rather have one of the fancy off road couplers that don’t rattle.
IMO it’s equally important is the wheel base from the rear tires of the tow reg to the tires of the trailer is the same as the tow reg wheel base as it is to have the same width.
That way the tire of the trailer will follow in the same tracks.

But plenty of trailer don’t do either 🤔

I’d like to see this fancy hitch that you speak of. If I do swap the hitch, it will probably be one of the last things that I do as I would like to see how noisy it is with some weight on the existing hitch.

I was originally planning to put a 3500 pound axle under it with eight lug hubs, but I noticed that this axle has a pretty wide WMS. I would estimate it to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 57 to 58 inches. It has negative offset wheels on it so I might be in pretty good shape with a different set of wheels. That would be the cheapest route to go, although I would stay with five lug. I may never need a spare for it anyway, and if I puncture a sidewall, I can put a glue tread on it.
 
IMO pulling a trailer is not going to be easy on the Rubicon.
In countless trips I have made on that trail. I’ve never seen one.
 
I’d like to see this fancy hitch that you speak of. If I do swap the hitch, it will probably be one of the last things that I do as I would like to see how noisy it is with some weight on the existing hitch.
That’s why I’m putting 40 inch tires on the trailer. Do you think I should install a drive axle on it?

Remember you driving over rocks and rough train. IMO That pintle hitch will bounce around and make noise.
40" tires will be very helpful. If you have trouble on a obstacle and have to back up that when the fun will begin.
 
Remember you driving over rocks and rough train. IMO That pintle hitch will bounce around and make noise.
40" tires will be very helpful. If you have trouble on a obstacle and have to back up that when the fun will begin.

I’m not that great at going forwards or backwards so this should be fun. I’m game to try and I am also mindful of your wisdom.

Thanks for the links to the hitches. I’ll check those out.
 
I have the same trailer..

Highly modified.

I wish I had a build thread to share.

Mine has been all over. Have 15,000+ miles on it.

IMG_0541.webp


IMG_9813.webp
 
That is a cool looking trailer, @clrussell. Do you happen to have any pictures of it set up?

Setup is at Chinns Lake 2 weeks ago.

I’ve got random pics of the build.

It has a 2.5” .250 wall tube / spine ran through the entire length. The tongue slides 24”, receiver in the rear as a tow point.

33” tires on matching wheels for my 200. It’ll get 35s one day when I’m less poor.

Weighs about 1500 lbs. 30 gallons of pressurized water. Own house battery. Drop tailgate to cook. Swing out for drink cooler/ fire wood.

Tows phenomenally. It’s been triple digits. Towed it 12 hours straight both ways across Kansas over night at 80+

40 doesn’t blink at it with the LS.

It’s been towed across some rough trails.

I had a shock mount try to destroy the frame after 10k miles but that was my fault for poor shock placement.

IMG_0018.webp


IMG_0001.webp


IMG_9981.webp


DSCF7007.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom