Builds STPCHLD, a 3/70 FJ40, Get's a Frame Up! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rainman

Wondering what my next vehicle will be...
Threads
As mentioned in the old thread, @Vae Victus has relinquished his ownership of the “Old Grey Mare" to me. He simply needed more time and cash to spend on SMOKEY and that’s completely understandable. Turn the page.

I’ve got big plans for this girl. This 3/70 FJ40 is an amazing specimen. She's got one of the best condition original frames I’ve ever seen. The body is in fantastic shape. There’s two small bondo areas but I can’t find any issue behind it so that’s a very minor problem. I need to give it a fine toothed comb going over to prove nothing else has an issue. Only thing is, I HATE the color. Turns out it's even a Chevy color. That won’t be there for long. She’s had a well taken care of life. Two owners ago was a retired soldier from the 101st Airborne in Clarksville. Mostly garage kept. So, good bones, as they say. The original color was Coronado Beige I think. I’ve never seen that color as far as I know.

I plan to record the complete frame up redo on this one here. I also plan to make this truck even better than 2NDCHNC. That build is on MUD also. So much has been done already over at Scott’s that this should be a fairly quick redo. Of course, the painter always slows things down. I’ll get her running and then park her for a complete break down. Replace or refurb then it’s all back together. I'll pull it in and start taking her apart in a few days.
STPCHLD new start.JPG

The clock is ticking…

So if I mind serves me well, the items already completed are:
The engine was completely rebuilt by Toyota.
New suspension.
New tires. No miles on them yet.
New brake lines... of course.
New clutch, pressure plate, throwout and bushing.
Rebuilt center arm assembly. (needs adjusting.)
Fixed intake plenum and dual MC conversion.
All new fluids.
Knuckle rebuilds on a disc brake front end.
New gas tank.
New carburetor.
Seats front and rear.
Will need recovering and considering swapping the long jump seats for shorties and a roll bar.
It has a hard top but is in bad shape. I want to replace it with a solid one. It deserves it.
Good rear hatch.

The soft top has been sold.
I've got a good line on front doors.
Really hoping @Coolerman is in business! Would LOVE a really nice harness.
The breakdown will begin in the next few days.
When I get it inside, I'll start showing how good it is underneath.
Here's an old shot as a teaser.

Just LOOK at that floor! No pitting! (oh yeah, and those hockey pucks...

Last edited:
Nice!!!!

Makes sense now! I saw your rollbar wanted add yesterday i was like for what? haha

Got a solid platform there thats for sure!

Very nice to see you’re in the Cruiser ownership column again. Beautiful starting point!

Well, I was following Scott’s work on this one so I’m glad to see you’ll be picking up where he left off. I’ll be following along!

Very nice to see you’re in the Cruiser ownership column again. Beautiful starting point!

Yeah. It feels a little odd owning one again. I won't be keeping this one though. More to follow in say....... January.

Well, I was following Scott’s work on this one so I’m glad to see you’ll be picking up where he left off. I’ll be following along!

Thanks RW. I've worked on this truck a bunch too already. I just might pull it in today and start if I can get everything else taken care of. I am real close.

My avatar is a 10/69 70 model with original Coronado Beige. It is slightly different than the beige on my 10/75 76 model. Have a sample of beige off a 73 which is different than both. Also have bumperettes from a couple early sixties FJ40s that were taken off when new. Even those are different than each other. For what ever reason Toyota felt the need to keep changing the tint on the beige paint.

I’m sure this one will be good :popcorn: :cheers:
JP

My avatar is a 10/69 70 model with original Coronado Beige. It is slightly different than the beige on my 10/75 76 model. Have a sample of beige off a 73 which is different than both. Also have bumperettes from a couple early sixties FJ40s that were taken off when new. Even those are different than each other. For what ever reason Toyota felt the need to keep changing the tint on the beige paint.

The glove box, under the dash, and the entire engine compartment is a beige color I've never seen before. I thought it was off white but then I looked and tried to clean off a spot on the firewall but it stayed dark. Well, not "dark" but darker than off white. Based on the lousy color charts I've seen online, I had to guess Coronado Beige. But it's just a guess at this point.

Last edited:
Can't afford the whole project. So building up to keep one some day.

I'm off and running now. A few shots from the top side showing how clean this truck really is. The No Heep magnet is thin and very weak. Will only stick to paint over metal. No bondo skimming. I'll hit it harder next week.

In my little shop now. Tearing it all down a starting from the ground up. Just a teaser for now... Those wheels and tires are going away. Not even one mile of rolling on those wheels and tires yet. I'll guess 150 feet. (any takers?)
IMG_2123.JPG

Thanks God I got those bolts out when I did. These came right out but a few years from now they most likely would've snapped off.
IMG_2132.JPG

No bondo on these old doors!
IMG_2133.JPG

None.
IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG
Check the next shots...

The last FJ40 I saw with inner fenders this clean was Zebranator II. '75 from California in the mid '90s. I'll show the underside next...

IMG_2136.JPG

SO. MANY. HOLES. I'll be brazing those before paint.

And that pair of lumps aren't rust... I don't believe. It just wouldn't make any sense. I'll report on that later. I just spent a half day pulling stuff off.
Oh, and selling the soft top to Roger and helping him install it in my shop today. Transformed his Cruiser. Especially since he drove it 45 minutes coming over with no top or doors today. Chilly coming'. Toasty goin'.
IMG_2137.JPG

Roll bar needed. CHECK!
Jump seats needed. CHECK!

Oh crap! The Brake Lines shop flooded. Not severely but a chore to remove the water. May not get to work on this much today.

2018 can just go to... :devil:

20hrs in updates:
Front doors worthy of this truck (rust free) on the way. CHECK!

Tub is free to be removed now. Just need some guys and undo the mounts.
Once that's done, pull the engine and gear boxes for cleanup.
Then pull the chassis off the suspension and get ready for the powder coat run. And do a major up date cleaning on the axle housings.

Motorin' right along!

20hrs front.JPG
20hrs rear.JPG

Update:
Really nice hard doors (that will be worthy of this truck) are on the way.
A nice roll bar has been procured and will make the half/half drive to GA to get it soon.
Small jump seats to match the roll bar are being picked up today from a local Cruiser buddy.
A really great friend's son is coming over today for a hole welding marathon. I'll post shots.
Two new leads on a possible source for paint and possible new powder coater.

I love this process...

Saturday was a good day for the Cruiser. Got a ton of unwanted holes repaired. My good long term friend Steve has a son who's a master welder. They came over and made short order of most of the needed work. Getting familiar with this truck every day, I noticed finally that the truck had a roll cage installed and shows evidence in the front floor. (next welding job) The holes in the rear fenders were from the rear of the cage having an angle iron long foot on the top of the fenders and a long row of bolts drilled through. That pulled up the fender between each ridge. Nothing a little hammer and buck couldn't fix.

Nothing personal to another good friend, Ryan. I had to talk him down over the price of the jump seats. He's new to Cruisers and had been drinking the monopoly money cool aid. I'm glad I did too! Two new feet, new covers, and one busted hinge. Oh, and one nearly frozen. I worked for about 15-20 minutes getting the one hinge loosened up. Luch did a great welding job with such a screwed up tear in the tube. Now it has jump seats worthy of a really solid truck. I'll have to drill out the other two feet bolts. Both snapped years ago. (They were not from this truck.)

Leftover from a trailer plug. All the holes butchered for those are gone now.
Weld frame holes.jpg

Some time ago, there was a soft top installed. 9 snap holes down both sides. Not anymore. That closest hole wasn't freshly drilled. Even exposed, they were all rust free. I have no idea why.
weld tub sides.jpg

Here's Luch (short for Luciano) messaging the thin metal on the jumper.
weld jump seat.jpg

This week I hope to find a painter. Someone who can get to me quickly and do a good job.
I may get the frame and all other items to the powder coater next week.
Make a decision on the seats. Oddly enough, the seats Scott bought have frames where the feet don't match the original holes in the floor. I guess it could be a year thing but don't know and can't prove that. Anyone know if that changed in the early years?

Hope to be rebuilding at least the chassis in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Saturday was a good day for the Cruiser. Git a ton of unwanted holes repaired. My good long term friend Steve has a son who's a master welder. They came over and made short order of most of the needed. Getting familiar with this truck every day, I noticed finally that the truck had a roll cage installed and show evidence in the front floor. (next welding job) The holes in the rear fenders were from the rear of the cage having an angle iron long foot on the rear fender and a long row or bolts drilled through. That pulley's up the fender between each ridge. Nothing a little hammer and buck couldn't fix.

Nothing personal to another good friend, Ryan. I had to talk him down over the price of the jump seats. He's new to Cruisers and had been drinking the monopoly money cool aid. I'm glad I did too! Two new feet, new covers, and one busted hinge. Oh, and one nearly frozen. I worked for about 15-20 minutes getting the one hinge loosened up. Luch did a great welding job with such a screwed up tear in the tube. Now it has jump seats worthy of a really solid truck. I'll have to drill out the other two feet bolts. Both snapped years ago. (They were not from this truck.)

Leftover from a trailer plug. All the holes butchered for those are gone now.
View attachment 1872104

Some time ago, there was a soft top installed. 9 snap holes down both sides. Not anymore. That closest hole wasn't freshly drilled. Even exposed, they were all rust free. I have no idea why.
View attachment 1872105

Here's Luch (short for Luciano) messaging the thin metal on the jumper.
View attachment 1872107

This week I hope to find a painter. Someone who can get to me quickly and do a good job.
I may get the frame and all other items to the powder coater next week.
Make a decision on the seats. Oddly enough, the seats Scott bought have frames where the feet don't match the original holes in the floor. I guess it could be a year thing but don't know and can't prove that. Anyone know if that changed in the early years?

Hope to be rebuilding at least the chassis in a few weeks.
Man I wish I'd known you were doing this. Would pay to be a fly on the wall of your shop. Really want to do this to my 74, but have no idea where to start. Would be willing to help with whatever you're doing anytime just to learn something new. I'll even bring the beer!!! Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom