Storage Solutions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is a long reach to get to the center of your boxes through the side windows so it probably wouldn't be of much use anyway. For me it is enough of a reach to get in the side boxes from the windows.

Another question, which might be answered in your other pictures that I can't access from work, is how you secure the top access hatches? Seems like you would want something to keep those closed if something were to happen. Even a strap run across them might be enough it you have the tie downs for it and still easy to open.

yea I have long arms but not that long to get in there from the side windows.

as for latches for the top access, I have none right now. I have not looked to hard but I dont want anything that hangs down inside to catch on drawer stuff and i dont want anything on the top to snag my tool box and totes that i slide in and out. with the carpet on there it keeps them pretty tight for normal use. if I go do some serious off-roading I might just throw a strap across there.

So, been looking at the wagon gear rear storage, but trying to keep this project under budget.

I found these at a trailer supply place. They are 14 x 14". made for access doors for gas tanks or whatever on a tractor trailer or rv.

Thinking one on each side (left and right). This might keep some strength of the tailgate in the center and it really does not seem like there is much space where the license plate is anyway.

Anyone tried something like this? Thoughts?

1-104364.jpg

Check post #65, looks like someone has done a round access door for the tailgate - looks like decent access for smaller things. My guess though is that it would weaken the end gate more. Wagon gear's version has a perimeter frame that adds rigidity.

Also the tubs themselves work at support for the platform, keeping the hounds in check above. Here are a couple pics of the panel removed, so you can see how I've mounted the inverter, plus all the fluids I've stashed in the PS wall.

couple other comments: I took my cargo carpet out, that stuff was nasty from life, but more importantly the install of the wood is much more secure without it. Plus it gave me a little more room, and allowed me to easily incorporate the existing holes for the 3rd row latch bar deals in the center. The 1x4 is my "barrier" that keeps the fluids away from the inverter, both of which tie into the OEM speaker mount. Without that speaker, and without the inverter, you could store enough fluids in there to do a complete front and rear axle service, change out the T-case, and probably have enough room for a 4 qt. drop & swap of the ATF. If you haven't already, I would encourage you to take that PS panel off and look at all the room back there...
View attachment 62469View attachment 62470View attachment 62471
Genius!

Also the tubs themselves work at support for the platform, keeping the hounds in check above. Here are a couple pics of the panel removed, so you can see how I've mounted the inverter, plus all the fluids I've stashed in the PS wall.

couple other comments: I took my cargo carpet out, that stuff was nasty from life, but more importantly the install of the wood is much more secure without it. Plus it gave me a little more room, and allowed me to easily incorporate the existing holes for the 3rd row latch bar deals in the center. The 1x4 is my "barrier" that keeps the fluids away from the inverter, both of which tie into the OEM speaker mount. Without that speaker, and without the inverter, you could store enough fluids in there to do a complete front and rear axle service, change out the T-case, and probably have enough room for a 4 qt. drop & swap of the ATF. If you haven't already, I would encourage you to take that PS panel off and look at all the room back there...
View attachment 62469View attachment 62470View attachment 62471
Thanks for the tip! I just completed this mod last night!

8909FC1D-3F39-418D-9180-CF73B90626D0.jpeg

5191CB9F-CB46-4471-A8D6-9BE07ADC5EC5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom