Stock height suspension options - Dobinsons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so how do the C59-168 / 169 ride compared to the OME stock heights? I recently swapped out the OME shocks for Fox 2.0s but now the ride is a bit more loose / side to side sway than with the OME shocks.

I went from Toyota springs and shocks to Dobinsons springs and toyota shocks. Bought the shocks a few years back and I'm too cheap to pull the trigger on aftermarket shocks just yet. I had the toyota springs so I can not compare to the OME standard height. The OME were more coin so I thought I would roll the dice on Dobinsons. @crikeymike was WAY MORE PATIENT than he should have been. I had a ton of questions, mostly related to the product, and he answered each one. The install was a cake walk, thanks to the MUD recommendation of using the bottle jack to expand the axle and frame distance. Per our PM, I tried to clarify my previous post. Hope this helps.

so how do the C59-168 / 169 ride compared to the OME stock heights? I recently swapped out the OME shocks for Fox 2.0s but now the ride is a bit more loose / side to side sway than with the OME shocks.

I went from Toyota springs and shocks to Dobinsons springs and toyota shocks. Bought the shocks a few years back and I'm too cheap to pull the trigger on aftermarket shocks just yet.

Perhaps you can take a hub to fender measurement and post it here. I can take a hub to fender measurement of my 94 with OME stock height and OEM shocks and post those for comparison.

There are times when I like the firmness of my OME dual rates, like driving on a highway or really smooth but windy road. Other times, like on every street in town, the ride is harsh. Putting in a fresh set of OEM shocks helped quite a bit, enough to keep me satisfied for a while, but it still drives around like a dump truck when going over rough roads.

Perhaps you can take a hub to fender measurement and post it here. I can take a hub to fender measurement of my 94 with OME stock height and OEM shocks and post those for comparison.

There are times when I like the firmness of my OME dual rates, like driving on a highway or really smooth but windy road. Other times, like on every street in town, the ride is harsh. Putting in a fresh set of OEM shocks helped quite a bit, enough to keep me satisfied for a while, but it still drives around like a dump truck when going over rough roads.

I KNEW I was going to get busted on that measurement. Will do this weekend when I get home. ;)

Dropped the ball. Heading home tonight. Will try to get the info to the community. Thanks for the reminder.

Front measurement from center of hub to top of wheel well was 21 1/2". The rear was 23 1/2".

I installed a set of the sandard height, stock load - variable rate springs (C59-210V and C59-221V) a month ago. I paired them with a new set of OEM shocks and have no complaints on ride quality.

Ride height has settled in to 21" hub-to-fender at all four corners. This is at stock weight minus half of the third row seats.

Previously the front was at 19.5 on the original springs. The PO had installed one new spring at the rear with 3 rudimentary metal spacers on the other side, so I don't have a useful measurement there.

MVIMG_20181128_125154.jpg

I installed a set of the sandard height, stock load - variable rate springs (C59-210V and C59-221V) a month ago. I paired them with a new set of OEM shocks and have no complaints on ride quality.

Ride height has settled in to 21" hub-to-fender at all four corners. This is at stock weight minus half of the third row seats.

Previously the front was at 19.5 on the original springs. The PO had installed one new spring at the rear with 3 rudimentary metal spacers on the other side, so I don't have a useful measurement there.

View attachment 1847988
how do you like that spring is it better on rough road .mine is all stock i want smooth ride on dirt road.

almost ready to pull the trigger on a just-over-stock height suspension, I am also in the "small lift is best" camp. The Dobinsons set is $840 on Amazon (shipping included). Does not say part numbers or linear verse variable though (I posted inquiry)

Input appreciated on which components to choose for my 92' based on my driving:

DD, kid hauler, snow play in winter, easy to moderate trails 2-3x in summer.
stock bumper with badlands 12k winch, armor eventually
not a light packer on camping trips

I am not hard core but want to bolster and level to be confident on the trail and not sag when loaded up.

Thanks

^^^from the seller:
"The stock height kit comes with variable rate coils. These part numbers: C59-210V, C59-221V, GS59-682, GS59-683. It does not include a steering damper or any other parts."

View attachment 1847988

What size tires are you running on your rig? It looks great!

What size tires are you running on your rig? It looks great!

Thanks, they're 285/75 R16 K02s.

how do you like that spring is it better on rough road .mine is all stock i want smooth ride on dirt road.

It's hard to say as I replaced my tires at the same time with E rated K02s which are likely stiffer than my old set. My best guess is that these are similar to stock in that regard.

Ryan,
I'm interested in your "stock bumper with badlands 12k winch". Any good? Pix? How can I do that?
THX. GUY

I bought and installed the stock height Dobinson suspension.

1993 FZJ80 with 290k miles

Previously had Stock springs all around with 30mm spacers up front. Tokico shocks upfront and KYB in the back.

I called a few shops to get an idea of how much it costs to get it installed, most were about $500. I decided to do it myself. Took about 3 hours, worst part was the left front upper shock bolt which is under the brake thingy. Other than that it was an easy install.

Truck sits slightly higher now with a level stance with no spacers.

Ride is slightly smoother and it tracks better on rough roads. The truck still rides like a tank compared to our Highlander.

Bang for the buck? Yes it’s a good suspension kit for the money in my opinion. My favorite part is the Dobinson steering dampener. It’s much easier turning the steering wheel now.

No I didn’t take any measurements. First picture is before and second is after.

Hope this helps anyone looking to freshen up their suspension.

7711F0A5-16AA-459D-AB16-5F909208F75C.jpeg

3F45E58F-93C5-4CD0-9DE2-5A106BC600C2.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought and installed the stock height Dobinson suspension.

1993 FZJ80 with 290k miles

Previously had Stock springs all around with 30mm spacers up front. Tokico shocks upfront and KYB in the back.

I called a few shops to get an idea of how much it costs to get it installed, most were about $500. I decided to do it myself. Took about 3 hours, worst part was the left front upper shock bolt which is under the brake thingy. Other than that it was an easy install.

Truck sits slightly higher now with a level stance with no spacers.

Ride is slightly smoother and it tracks better on rough roads. The truck still rides like a tank compared to our Highlander.

Bang for the buck? Yes it’s a good suspension kit for the money in my opinion. My favorite part is the Dobinson steering dampener. It’s much easier turning the steering wheel now.

No I didn’t take any measurements. First picture is before and second is after.

Hope this helps anyone looking to freshen up their suspension.

View attachment 1955284

View attachment 1955285
What size tires are you running?

Ryan,
I'm interested in your "stock bumper with badlands 12k winch". Any good? Pix? How can I do that?
THX. GUY
I sent PM since this is off topic^^

I am now running the 1.5" Dobs variables in rear and OME 2850 in front. Very happy with results after good test run to Death Valley. I tried the Dobs variables in front but I returned them as I was not satisfied with lift or performance on my stock 3FE. The linear OME heavies in front gave me about 1.5" and handle great. The OEM were all linear and I suspect the take up on the soft part of the variables was just absorbed too easily by the heavier 3FE front end.

The top Image is loaded with gear, bottom image unloaded

Hello @David Otero and @crikeymike I want to put together a comprehensive compile to compare all the dual variable rate coils offered 0" to 2" by all the manufactures. Can you give us the rates, free heights, turns & wire dia. of what you offer. You have been so kind in the past to give the spec info for the taller lifts, but its time for the stock height to mild lifts to be compiled to the thread.
Can we start with these?
This is what I have so far.
- C59-210V – Variable Rate Standard Height Springs (Front) 182-217lbs
- C59-221V – Variable Rate Standard Height Springs (Rear) 166-223lbs

Variable rate stock height replacement coils
Stock height suspension options - Dobinson
Stock height variable rate suspension review

IMG_4171.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom