Stock height suspension options - Dobinsons

so how do the C59-168 / 169 ride compared to the OME stock heights? I recently swapped out the OME shocks for Fox 2.0s but now the ride is a bit more loose / side to side sway than with the OME shocks.

Comet

Knower of little, master of less.
SILVER Star
I went from Toyota springs and shocks to Dobinsons springs and toyota shocks. Bought the shocks a few years back and I'm too cheap to pull the trigger on aftermarket shocks just yet. I had the toyota springs so I can not compare to the OME standard height. The OME were more coin so I thought I would roll the dice on Dobinsons. @crikeymike was WAY MORE PATIENT than he should have been. I had a ton of questions, mostly related to the product, and he answered each one. The install was a cake walk, thanks to the MUD recommendation of using the bottle jack to expand the axle and frame distance. Per our PM, I tried to clarify my previous post. Hope this helps.

so how do the C59-168 / 169 ride compared to the OME stock heights? I recently swapped out the OME shocks for Fox 2.0s but now the ride is a bit more loose / side to side sway than with the OME shocks.
I went from Toyota springs and shocks to Dobinsons springs and toyota shocks. Bought the shocks a few years back and I'm too cheap to pull the trigger on aftermarket shocks just yet.
Perhaps you can take a hub to fender measurement and post it here. I can take a hub to fender measurement of my 94 with OME stock height and OEM shocks and post those for comparison.

There are times when I like the firmness of my OME dual rates, like driving on a highway or really smooth but windy road. Other times, like on every street in town, the ride is harsh. Putting in a fresh set of OEM shocks helped quite a bit, enough to keep me satisfied for a while, but it still drives around like a dump truck when going over rough roads.

Comet

SILVER Star
Perhaps you can take a hub to fender measurement and post it here. I can take a hub to fender measurement of my 94 with OME stock height and OEM shocks and post those for comparison.

There are times when I like the firmness of my OME dual rates, like driving on a highway or really smooth but windy road. Other times, like on every street in town, the ride is harsh. Putting in a fresh set of OEM shocks helped quite a bit, enough to keep me satisfied for a while, but it still drives around like a dump truck when going over rough roads.
I KNEW I was going to get busted on that measurement. Will do this weekend when I get home. ;)

Comet

SILVER Star
Dropped the ball. Heading home tonight. Will try to get the info to the community. Thanks for the reminder.

I installed a set of the sandard height, stock load - variable rate springs (C59-210V and C59-221V) a month ago. I paired them with a new set of OEM shocks and have no complaints on ride quality.

Ride height has settled in to 21" hub-to-fender at all four corners. This is at stock weight minus half of the third row seats.

Previously the front was at 19.5 on the original springs. The PO had installed one new spring at the rear with 3 rudimentary metal spacers on the other side, so I don't have a useful measurement there.

MVIMG_20181128_125154.jpg

I installed a set of the sandard height, stock load - variable rate springs (C59-210V and C59-221V) a month ago. I paired them with a new set of OEM shocks and have no complaints on ride quality.

Ride height has settled in to 21" hub-to-fender at all four corners. This is at stock weight minus half of the third row seats.

Previously the front was at 19.5 on the original springs. The PO had installed one new spring at the rear with 3 rudimentary metal spacers on the other side, so I don't have a useful measurement there.

View attachment 1847988
how do you like that spring is it better on rough road .mine is all stock i want smooth ride on dirt road.

rghouse

SILVER Star
almost ready to pull the trigger on a just-over-stock height suspension, I am also in the "small lift is best" camp. The Dobinsons set is $840 on Amazon (shipping included). Does not say part numbers or linear verse variable though (I posted inquiry)

Input appreciated on which components to choose for my 92' based on my driving:

DD, kid hauler, snow play in winter, easy to moderate trails 2-3x in summer.
stock bumper with badlands 12k winch, armor eventually
not a light packer on camping trips

I am not hard core but want to bolster and level to be confident on the trail and not sag when loaded up.

Thanks

rghouse

SILVER Star
^^^from the seller:
"The stock height kit comes with variable rate coils. These part numbers: C59-210V, C59-221V, GS59-682, GS59-683. It does not include a steering damper or any other parts."

View attachment 1847988
What size tires are you running on your rig? It looks great!

What size tires are you running on your rig? It looks great!
Thanks, they're 285/75 R16 K02s.

how do you like that spring is it better on rough road .mine is all stock i want smooth ride on dirt road.
It's hard to say as I replaced my tires at the same time with E rated K02s which are likely stiffer than my old set. My best guess is that these are similar to stock in that regard.

Guy

Ryan,
I'm interested in your "stock bumper with badlands 12k winch". Any good? Pix? How can I do that?
THX. GUY

Top Bottom