Stock height suspension options - Dobinsons

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by crikeymike, Jun 14, 2017.

1. jeffro109

jeffro109

so how do the C59-168 / 169 ride compared to the OME stock heights? I recently swapped out the OME shocks for Fox 2.0s but now the ride is a bit more loose / side to side sway than with the OME shocks.

2. Comet

Comet Knower of little, master of less. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I went from Toyota springs and shocks to Dobinsons springs and toyota shocks. Bought the shocks a few years back and I'm too cheap to pull the trigger on aftermarket shocks just yet. I had the toyota springs so I can not compare to the OME standard height. The OME were more coin so I thought I would roll the dice on Dobinsons. @crikeymike was WAY MORE PATIENT than he should have been. I had a ton of questions, mostly related to the product, and he answered each one. The install was a cake walk, thanks to the MUD recommendation of using the bottle jack to expand the axle and frame distance. Per our PM, I tried to clarify my previous post. Hope this helps.

David Otero likes this.
  3. half k cruiser

half k cruiser

Perhaps you can take a hub to fender measurement and post it here. I can take a hub to fender measurement of my 94 with OME stock height and OEM shocks and post those for comparison.

There are times when I like the firmness of my OME dual rates, like driving on a highway or really smooth but windy road. Other times, like on every street in town, the ride is harsh. Putting in a fresh set of OEM shocks helped quite a bit, enough to keep me satisfied for a while, but it still drives around like a dump truck when going over rough roads.

4. Comet

Media:
    Albums:
    I KNEW I was going to get busted on that measurement. Will do this weekend when I get home. ;)

crikeymike likes this.
  5. TnTnola

TnTnola SILVER Star

Any updates on this?

6. Comet

Media:
    Albums:
    Dropped the ball. Heading home tonight. Will try to get the info to the community. Thanks for the reminder.

TnTnola likes this.
  7. Comet

Media:
    Albums:
    Front measurement from center of hub to top of wheel well was 21 1/2". The rear was 23 1/2".

crikeymike likes this.
  8. shishkabobs

shishkabobs

I installed a set of the sandard height, stock load - variable rate springs (C59-210V and C59-221V) a month ago. I paired them with a new set of OEM shocks and have no complaints on ride quality.

Ride height has settled in to 21" hub-to-fender at all four corners. This is at stock weight minus half of the third row seats.

Previously the front was at 19.5 on the original springs. The PO had installed one new spring at the rear with 3 rudimentary metal spacers on the other side, so I don't have a useful measurement there.

MVIMG_20181128_125154.jpg

bajaphile and crikeymike like this.
  9. John copello

John copello

how do you like that spring is it better on rough road .mine is all stock i want smooth ride on dirt road.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.