Sticky Odometer and Trip Odometer finally fixed on my FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

me too. my odometer sticks around the 0 to 1 tickover periodically. fiddling w/ the trip button gets it working again. the trip counter barely works and doesn't reset to zero any longer.

i have a lower miles spare speedo i've been meaning to swap in, and adjust for mileage prior. i think that's possible?

Thank you sir - appreciate that & generous of you, whether you end up having it or not.

I became curious when I saw the needle assembly didn’t appear to have a key/etc, so I’m sure I’m just missing something simple.
found the part I took off mine and it is broken in the same place yours is. So suspect this might be a common issue for these.

IMG_4088.JPG

Hope you get the needle back on in the correct spot

John

Thanks for checking @JOFS, I appreciate it. No worries!

Going to trial & error it soon. Probably overthought it due to tac needle retuning past the stopper. Will report back

Last edited:
Reinstalled the needle resting against/just grazing the stopper - that resulted in the speedo being a tick high (~2mph) like it may have been from the factory, but I have my yellr box calibrated to be spot on. So, it seemed like installing the needle just grazing the back side of the stopper (then lifting it over after pressing on) would be the ticket, and that was correct in my case. I’m back to spot on. Can’t say this is the definitive answer - your mileage may vary - but seems like a good place to start if you need to remove it for pulling the odo/trip assembly.

Before removing the needle, I’d suggest lifting it over the stopper to see if it continues to return, so you have a starting point for reinstallation. If it doesn’t move, try the above.

May take a couple tries, depending how picky you are. If so, don’t bother reinstalling all the pieces, just connect cluster wiring, set upper plastic in place & connect dimmer switch so you have dash lights, snap lower plastic in place if still connected to hood/fuel cables, test drive until satisfied, then reinstall everything.

Trip odo gears are turning freely now, and gently resetting them hasn’t broken the glue (yet). I imagine this may be a common fix as these trucks keep aging, but it’s free & easy.

Last edited:
My trip odometer started by not re-settting all the way back to zero. It would roll everything back to 99 miles, but that was the best the plunger would do. Now it doesn't roll at all. Time to extract the cluster and get to work.

Thank you for this write-up. Note to self, no waffles while working on my odometer.

Having done the superglue fix a couple times now, something that seemed to help was bending the "clicker" on the plunger out of the way. It removes the tactile "click," but seems to put less stress on the broken connection.

Got a bit too aggressive with it a few months ago and broke the connection, so need to fix again. But if done with a little care and the right glue, the fix seems to last, as long as you clean the gears & gingerly reset the trip meter.

Still wondering if there is a different Toyota using the same gearset.

something that seemed to help was bending the "clicker" on the plunger out of the way. It removes the tactile "click," but seems to put less stress on the broken connection.
I cut that "clicker" off. I agree that it contributes to the breakage.

Well, I'm in the same boat on this issue. My trip meter stopped working after a reset at the gas station a couple weeks ago. Found my trip meter lever broken, and successfully superglued it, however now my trip meter only sorta works. I can hear a distinct clicking sound ever 1/10 of a mile, however the trip meter numbers don't roll over properly.

I got my hands on a good used cluster, and am tempted to just swap the entire assembly over, if I can roll the odometer on the used cluster to match the mileage of my truck (Mine is at ~350k, the used one is 218k miles). The used cluster appears to be in pretty good shape, at least from the front. The needles are still painted orange, where my 350k stocker has needles that have faded to almost white over the years.

Anyone altered the mileage to match successfully?

Well, I'm in the same boat on this issue. My trip meter stopped working after a reset at the gas station a couple weeks ago. Found my trip meter lever broken, and successfully superglued it, however now my trip meter only sorta works. I can hear a distinct clicking sound ever 1/10 of a mile, however the trip meter numbers don't roll over properly.

I got my hands on a good used cluster, and am tempted to just swap the entire assembly over, if I can roll the odometer on the used cluster to match the mileage of my truck (Mine is at ~350k, the used one is 218k miles). The used cluster appears to be in pretty good shape, at least from the front. The needles are still painted orange, where my 350k stocker has needles that have faded to almost white over the years.

Anyone altered the mileage to match successfully?
Yes, it’s not difficult but you have to pull the barrel, disassemble the assembly, and individually stack the digits the way you want them as you reassemble the barrel. Just be super organized when you do it and you’ll be fine.

There’s several posts in my FZJ75 thread in my signature line if you want more details.

Edit: Wrong reference. FJ45 Troopy thread starting at post #86

Last edited:
I noticed my trip meter gears were a little sticky when doing this. If you take a close look as you move it around, you'll probably find specific spots where it wants to hang up. Found a little gunk in it, cleaned it out, made sure things were aligned, and got it moving properly again. Just a thought. However, if you can correct mileage on a new cluster in better shape, why not

Yes, it’s not difficult but you have to pull the barrel, disassemble the assembly, and individually stack the digits the way you want them as you reassemble the barrel. Just be super organized when you do it and you’ll be fine.

There’s several posts in my FZJ75 thread in my signature line if you want more details.
really? got a link to the post(s)? i searched multiple terms with no success

1697809119842.png

Perhaps I missed this, but what is the recommended speedo gear lube (if any) White Lithium, dielectric grease or other?

really? got a link to the post(s)? i searched multiple terms with no success

View attachment 3460654
Sincere apologies. The FJ45 Troopy thread:

Starting at post #86

Perhaps I missed this, but what is the recommended speedo gear lube (if any) White Lithium, dielectric grease or other?
After cleaning everything and some research, I went back dry. There is a theory that the grease only helps to make the rotation quieter. My Troopy is loud enough that I didn't think I could hear an odometer "clicking" over and thus far that has been true. I figured I could always go back and add some lubricant if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom