Steering wheel "squeak" when turning left (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
danspassionforcars.blogspot.com
Just noticed a squeak from the steering wheel when turning left on my 97 LC. It's definitely from the steering wheel, not from the engine bay or wheels. Weird that it is only when turning left. I tried spraying some silicone lubricant in there where the steering wheel turns, but that didn't seem to make a difference. Any suggestions. Should I just remove the shroud that goes around the steering column and lubricate everything?

My truck does the same thing when i turn the wheel in both directions, but only when it's cold, and it's been down in the 20's around here in the mornings. Once it warms up in the afternoon the squeak goes away until it gets cold again.

White lithium grease on the shaft joints above and below where it goes through the firewall. It's a fall ritual with my 94 and has always stopped the squeak.

Last edited:
clock spring in the air bag system, temperature affects this, it will go away in warmer weather and come back in cooler. its a replaceable part

At least in my 1994 HDJ 80, the horn contact in the steering wheel is through a brass track which rubs against a mating brass pin. The pin becomes wasted and shorter over time, and in the process it starts making noises. Checking this is easy, just remove the steering wheel. I attach some photos:

1-cubiertas.png

3-nuevo contacto.png

4-contactos.png

It's probably this:

Squeaky steering wheel wasn't clock spring - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/squeaky-steering-wheel-wasnt-clock-spring.542608/

As others had mentioned above, I had the same sort of noise, but only when cold. I sprayed the bushing mentioned in the thread and haven't had the sound again since. It's a bit awkward to look and see it. Put your head under the dash and look back up towards the steering wheel and you'll see it.
^^ This worked for me.

It's probably this:

Squeaky steering wheel wasn't clock spring - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/squeaky-steering-wheel-wasnt-clock-spring.542608/

As others had mentioned above, I had the same sort of noise, but only when cold. I sprayed the bushing mentioned in the thread and haven't had the sound again since. It's a bit awkward to look and see it. Put your head under the dash and look back up towards the steering wheel and you'll see it.
Awesome. When my wife gets home this evening, will give it a try. That certainly sounds like exactly the issue.

Dont turn left
I can't believe it took this long for that one. That was the first response I was expecting and considered pre-empting it, but glad I didn't. Thanks for playing along.

I can't believe it took this long for that one. That was the first response I was expecting and considered pre-empting it, but glad I didn't. Thanks for playing along.
I am having a frustrating day working on my truck. So I figure I will just make sure everyone else has the same experience today.

Awesome. When my wife gets home this evening, will give it a try. That certainly sounds like exactly the issue.
Sprayed some dry lubricant in there this morning and the squeak is gone. Thanks everyone!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom